Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who says CW is dead?  (Read 13994 times)
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »

CW is alive and well because for certain things it can't be beaten. What other mode allows you to chat with people around the world with a radio the size of a pack of cigarettes using 35mAh of current on receive and costs less than a 2m HT? Right... As small as some HF SSB radios are, there will always be a smaller and more portable CW rig. I have experienced conditions many times when SSB would have been impossible but CW got through. Some will argue that some data modes are very good for small signals, but you need a computer and that doesn't fit in a shirt pocket. When going camping, even my KX3 is a bit big for my taste.. And by the way, I'm 46, not 80, started learning Morse code and got my license last year. There are a lot of new Hams learning the code. I promote it heavily. Those who pretend it is dead are probably looking for an excuse for being lazy and not learning it. We will all be dead before CW.

Gil.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 07:29:15 AM »

I used it last night to have a qso with EN110RAEM and as far as I know neither of us are dead.  Grin

Just like GiL I'm one of those people who have taken it up pretty recently, and oddly enough....its all I do now.  Wink

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »

The facts remain, however, that there are more people learning morse

Did you? Maybe will get you in the log soon...

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »

As Mark Twain said when he heard reports of his death -  " Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated! ".

From a personal observational point of view, there is considerably more CW activity than digital mode users.
This is peculiar when you consider the relative ease of both deployment and use of digimodes.
Also, you would expect younger users to flock to digimodes, since it a familiar and technically current technology.

However, in my experience, there is a wide diaspora of users, both in age and interests, even in CW.

So my conclusion is that the mode does not define the users, but rather the users define the mode.

For example the CW ops I qso, range from young new hams to crusty old mariners, but also to everyone in between.
The same applies to digimodes.

The main factor which determines the mode mix heard these days is the personality of active hams.

Contrary to times past, hams these days have a huge number of mode options, mainly due to computer technology.
The result is a dispersal of activity around different modes, and results in stratification of users.
This effect is particularly noticeable during contests, when some modes are "cannibalised" of users who are using other modes.
PSK31 for example, drops in usage considerably during RTTY and CW contests, and the same is true in reverse.

With a finite "pot" of users, who are free to change modes on a dime, the ebb and flow of activity is really a complex dance.

What we should really be measuring is the "fun factor" or perhaps "satisfaction level" in using a particular mode.
For my money, this is where CW is really king.

In todays, disposable "consumer" (what an ugly word) society, where craftsmanship and hard-to-acquire skills are shunned,
CW is a rebel yell to rally against the cheap and mundane.

While people refuse to be led into a techno-paddock and chained to computer only modes, CW will still be strong.

Rob
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »

As Mark Twain said when he heard reports of his death -  " Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated! ".

From a personal observational point of view, there is considerably more CW activity than digital mode users.
This is peculiar when you consider the relative ease of both deployment and use of digimodes.
Also, you would expect younger users to flock to digimodes, since it a familiar and technically current technology.

However, in my experience, there is a wide diaspora of users, both in age and interests, even in CW.

So my conclusion is that the mode does not define the users, but rather the users define the mode.

For example the CW ops I qso, range from young new hams to crusty old mariners, but also to everyone in between.
The same applies to digimodes.

The main factor which determines the mode mix heard these days is the personality of active hams.

Contrary to times past, hams these days have a huge number of mode options, mainly due to computer technology.
The result is a dispersal of activity around different modes, and results in stratification of users.
This effect is particularly noticeable during contests, when some modes are "cannibalised" of users who are using other modes.
PSK31 for example, drops in usage considerably during RTTY and CW contests, and the same is true in reverse.

With a finite "pot" of users, who are free to change modes on a dime, the ebb and flow of activity is really a complex dance.

What we should really be measuring is the "fun factor" or perhaps "satisfaction level" in using a particular mode.
For my money, this is where CW is really king.

In todays, disposable "consumer" (what an ugly word) society, where craftsmanship and hard-to-acquire skills are shunned,
CW is a rebel yell to rally against the cheap and mundane.

While people refuse to be led into a techno-paddock and chained to computer only modes, CW will still be strong.

Rob

Pride in skill, less pontification. Jeez, what a waste if keystrokes..........
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »

I'm back on the air with mostly CW ops after a 12 year lag and have noticed a few things.   I can almost always find a QSO, even under bad band conditions and with my relatively puny signal.  And,  most of the hams I work are as old, or older, than I am (61).  This is a bit worrisome.  I can also say  my mediocre  CW skills are still a work in progress.  But it's great fun and I think CW will be around for a long time.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: