Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio? What's that?  (Read 20457 times)
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »

Here's a first try at an "elevator speech," pretty bad I think:

"Ham radio is a way to talk to people all over the world using your own equipment. Unlike telephones or the Internet, it's a stand-alone system that sends a signal directly from one short-wave radio to the other. The formal name is 'amateur radio' but we are also relied upon to provide emergency communications during disasters when other types of wireless are out of action. Ham radio is 100 years old but the technology is constantly evolving. It's the ultimate geeky hobby but it also includes elements of public service."

That comes out at about 30 seconds. (The italics are the words that should be aurally emphasized.)

But the more I think about it, the best response to the "what's that" question is to show people your shack and give them a demonstration of how it works! If you operate phone, you can also give them a go at the microphone (in those countries where this is permitted). Preferably while working some exotic DX.... (good luck with the timing).

I'm constantly being asked the "what's that" question and I'm not even on the air yet! I've decided to add an extra amplifier stage to my homebrew receiver so that I can connect a speaker (not just headphones), making it much easier to demonstrate my hobby.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:04:26 PM by KB1WSY » Logged
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »

Here's another version of attempting to explain Ham Radio to the public by KN4AQ in video

Source: KN4AQ - Gary Pearce
"Ham Radio Now" Video Episode #94 @ Shelby Hamfest
Starting @ approx 31:00 minutes into video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1fms04IMI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUxqXFK9ETC5CWEdDD-_HpqA

The KN4AQ "elevator speech" goes like this ….

"Ham Radio is a two-way radio hobby and service.

It's a hobby because we use our radios for fun to talk to others and have a good time.

It's a service because we are licensed by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission)
that requires us taking an examination to operate our equipment.

We use the equipment for the benefit of the public, such as during emergencies when normal communication is out or for charity events such as walks or bike tours and things like that in providing logistics and communications."

His point of view is if someone asked you what time is it, you don't tell them how to make a watch. But, hams will turn on a "fire hose" of information in trying to detail every facet of Ham Radio that exists and it's no wonder the pubic walks away totally confused and bewildered.

Afterwards, if your asked a specific question, why to give a focused answer!

I like his simple initial explanation. Check out the video.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:12:48 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: