Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio? What's that?  (Read 18607 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 04:38:28 PM »

Next time just say it's a way "I can talk or text around the world without having to pay a cellphone company a $100/month".

Yep, also say our equipment cost thousands of $$$ just so we can say 599 TU to another ham. Cellphones are cheaper much than hamradio. Better reception too, no lids tuning up on your conversations or causing QRM..  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »

When someone ask me about my antennas i just tell them they are for monitoring smart phones and pc wifi.  The look i receive when i say i intercept pc wifi and smartphones voice and text messages is priceless.

But the best joke is still renaming your home wifi from the stupid default name to something like "fbi mobile van"

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »

Peter:  My wife recently had her pacemaker replaced.  I asked the cardiologist for the old one to make a LED blinker.  He never batted an eye and in fact we had a long discussion about this project which freaked my wife out because she was upset over having this procedure again. 

He even sent it to the lab to get it set it up for me. The technician presented it to me with instructions and a special screwdriver so I could attach wire leads to it!

Al - K8AXW

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »

Does the new one have a radio transceiver inside?
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »

Does the new one have a radio transceiver inside?

Yeah, I'm wondering if he took out a 2 million dollar life insurance policy on her and started learning how to hack on the same day.  Cheesy
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »

Interesting thought!  I might start the rumor that Obamacare has a stipulation that the "Approval Panel" has the option of shutting off any or all pacemakers.   Roll Eyes
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »

I hear that the new Obamacare pacemakers have a lifetime warrantee - the lifetime of the patient  Wink
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »

There's getting on for 1 million pacemakers world wide with radio in them. Some US manufacturers use the 902 -928 MHz band: internationally, the band 401 to 406 MHz is used under ITU-R Rec RS1436. Max eirp is 25 microwatts. Getting that much outside the body with the battery limitations is very difficult but you can easily get it from the programmer. A QRO implant tx is 1milliwatt. In Europe, there's also a band from 2483.5 to 2500MHz.

Until retirement last June, I'd spent 11 years on design and standardisation on medical implant radio: for the last 6 years, I was chairman of the European standards committee for Wireless Medical Applications.
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »

This is ham radio...LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8RItOZE30

Rick
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »

OMG I remember that episode of the Munsters
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 06:52:48 AM »

Herman has a better handle of ham operations than a lot of guys I hear on the air now. Wink
KK6GMN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »

I am not physically able to get on my roof and recently had some antennas installed by a nice handyman on Craig's list.  During the estimate, he asked what sort of antennas they were and I said "ham antennas".  Of course, he said "What's that? Some sort of special TV or something?"  He was in his late 20's and seemed educated.  I was really surprised.  I explained it was for radio communications, and he asked if it was like a regular radio station or something.  I gave him the lowdown about using it for communication with other hams and emergency service.  He seemed under impressed.    What was doubly funny was when he did the actual install his wife was with him and asked the exact same questions... no understanding of amateur radio at all.

-SeanM
KK6GMN

"No man is a failure...
...who has friends." --Clarence

Weather at my shack
http://www.pegnsean.net/~sean/weather/wx.htm
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

I guess there's a lot of people in the Philippines right now who are glad there's ham radio. Like Alaska in 1964. Mexico City in '79 and so many more. Right down to where the Governor of the State of Washington said after the floods there a few years ago 'The real heroes here are the hams' .
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »

On the lighter side, Katy Perry knows, or thinks she knows about morse code... Skip to 2:40, or so, for the punch line.

http://www.etonline.com/music/139526_Katy_Perry_s_Back_to_the_Drawing_Board_for_Prism/
N0BOE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »

I've been a first hand witness to this dumbing down of the public in general. I tie it to the recent proliferation of "smart" technology - as tech gets smarter, people get dumber.

I was licensed in 1996 at 11 years old. Back then it was fairly easy for my peers to understand the basic concepts of radio and why it was appealing to me. 49mhz walkie-talkies were a pretty popular toy in my neighborhood, so the concept of over the air two way communication was pretty easily understood. Now that everyone has a phone permanently attached to their ear that does everything they want it to do and gives them instant access to multiple forms of social communication -- how many jr. high kids play with walkie-talkies anymore? I'll bet most of them have cell phones instead. Who cares about radio anymore, my phone will let me text anyone instantly, and I can get on the internet, and facebook, and, and, and....

How do cell phones work? Science, blah blah blah, I don't care as long as I can get online!

(For the record, this 29 year old doesn't own a cell phone... Believe it or not...)
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: