Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best time of year to buy  (Read 3267 times)
AD0GI

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »

There was just a local news segment which stated that the holiday season is not the best time of year to buy flat screen TVs and some other electronics.

This has me wondering if I should wait on picking up a TS-590s and AA-600.

I have tracked the prices on both for a few months and the AA-600 has come down quite a bit.  But while other models seem to have good discounts/rebates, prices on the TS-590s have not changed much.

When have others here found the best time of year to buy HAM equipment?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:27 AM »

There was just a local news segment which stated that the holiday season is not the best time of year to buy flat screen TVs and some other electronics.

This has me wondering if I should wait on picking up a TS-590s and AA-600.

I have tracked the prices on both for a few months and the AA-600 has come down quite a bit.  But while other models seem to have good discounts/rebates, prices on the TS-590s have not changed much.

When have others here found the best time of year to buy HAM equipment?

If you are located near Hamilton Ohio. R and L has their yearly Customer Appreciation Sale December 14 2013, I believe everything is 10% off. I don't know if that also means online. http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/events.php

Otherwise the best time to buy ham equipment new would be at Dayton Hamvention. For used, see if your local ham radio club is running an auction. Or try E-Bay

Edit: Eh ... forget E-Bay, I just looked. Two different sellers from Japan have it selling for over $3,000 and a seller from Greece has it for over $2,000. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:46:20 AM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »

TEDAMENTA:  I think you'll find that the prices on ham gear remain pretty steady throughout the year because of the specialized market. 

However, a good thing to do is make a list of vendors and their phone numbers and call each one and ask their price for a particular piece of gear.  Don't forget to ask about shipping charges, which can tip the scales pretty fast.

There's no reason why you can't find the lowest price and then go back to the one closest to you or your favorite and tell them that you can get the same thing at Outlet "X" and ask if they can beat the price......and if not....ask if they can match the price.  This is an acceptable practice so don't be shy.

Al - K8AXW
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »

For years I've noticed the best deals happen on Black Friday weekend. During this time period Yaesu and Icom seem to have special discounts.

I've also seen in the Christmas timeframe HRO sometimes has an inventory reduction sale on some models. The savings is significant.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »

Whenever you have the money.If you wait you may end up spending it on something else & never get that new piece of gear!  {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »

I had not checked the prices of new radios lately because I am not in the market for one.
But after reading this I checked the prices at one of the main dealers in Canada.

Kenwood TS-590S has dropped from $1975 to $1699

Prices on most of the Yaesu rigs has come down.

Same goes for every Icom HF rig.

Checked the amps, the ALS-500 has a slight price reduction. Also the Alpha 9500 has been reduced to $8,200.00 from $8,350.00 (Might be time to buy one, do you think I should ask my wife to get me that for Christmas?  Grin)

So I am sure there must be some deals in United States if we have them up here in Canada.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 06:36:30 AM »

I checked the R and L website. They are extending their customer appreciation day (December 14) online right now and offering 10% off.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/custday.php

Still using Windows XP Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: