Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRZ.COM  (Read 25841 times)
WD4CHP

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

I have reqested that my membership in QRZ.com be canceled.

The main reason is that it has become a free for all and nasty rebuts in the threads.

I hope that eham.net does not stoop this low level
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »

I walked out two weeks ago.  Fed up!

p.s. apologies for airing dirty laundry from another board.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:29:51 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »

I also walked away but more like 7 or more years ago.  I would never again have anything to do with that site....
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:41 AM »

This is not something exclusive to QRZ. It still happens here!

There is a thread HERE where someone was wanting to learn how to restore vintage radios. When I suggested he buy a copy of the ARRL Handbook and learn about electronics and radio theory, I was then associated with the egress end of the alimentary canal... several times! After reporting the thread TWICE, his response was finally deleted... as was my response.

So basically, if someone is looking for information and you suggest something other than a website or YouTube video, be prepared for a quick anatomy lesson and don't expect the admins or moderators to do anything about it.

There are two sides to every coin. In his response that was deleted, the person asking the above question said that he had been noticing a trend of being treated in a "less than respectful" manner here and on other forums. Since it is happening to him no matter where he is, maybe, just maybe, it is how the person is ASKING the question, not the people answering them!

Just because someone does not give you the answer you want to hear does not give you the right to give them an anatomy lesson!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:11:13 AM by N0IU » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:23:11 AM »

QRZ.com? checked it out once 4 years ago after re licensing, what a joke, guess I haven't missed anything.
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:52:56 AM »

I did not even know there were forums on QRZ.  I use it all the time in conjunction with Ham Radio Deluxe software to automatically locate  details about a new contact and to record that data in the HRD log.  I enjoy reading the page associated with the contact just made, locating their QTH, looking at the pictures from their countries and pictures of their shacks, especially with the DX contacts. I find their service indispensable.  Thanks for the heads up about not even looking at the forum section! 
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:12:16 AM »

Their forums would be OK, I suppose, if you could put a big fat IGNORE on the entire "Rag Chew Central" section when looking at "today's posts".  I stopped reading them several months ago in favor of eHam's forums, which seem much calmer in comparison.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »

One thing I like about QRZ is you are required to post a picture of anything you are selling. None of that crap about pictures available on request or my camera is broken.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:31:37 AM »

I go to both  and read the questions (some times dumb questions on both) from hams new and some times from O Ts who just want to get someone Else's perspective on a subject.  If you can't take a little constructive criticism then you should not post the question.  I too saw the question on 'how to restore' and the way I read the question, the O P was asking if there were any info out there on Cd's that he could watch and learn.  The first response I thought was a little harsh but at the same time accurate.  You are not going to learn how to restore a radio by watching a video.  You need to have some background in basic electronic theory and and using test equipment.
So off I went to look for the guy who was posting some u-tube vids on I F circuits, how to use an O-scope and such.  I have seen his videos but can't remember his call which is (I believe) how one can find them on u-tube.  Any body know who it is?? He has posted here with links to the videos. I am starting to believe this crap of the "dumbing down" of ham radio, but then again maybe it is just that the information is just a few keystrokes away and it is easier to ask than to look it up in the handbook. Anyway, maybe we should just have more patience with each other and not read into the questions of the less learned.  After all some of the Gurus here were that way once too!!!

73 es Happy Thankgiving de Wn2C
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »

I have reqested that my membership in QRZ.com be canceled.

The main reason is that it has become a free for all and nasty rebuts in the threads.

I hope that eham.net does not stoop this low level

I "officially" cancelled some months ago. Essentially for the reasons you noted. Don't miss it a bit. Leave it to the same dozen or so, foaming at the mouth hate gang.

E-ham is fine. Especially like the QRP forum. The reviews section is a good introduction to gear that I may not have been aware of.

I refer frequently to QRZCQ and am registered there. Where I go to look up call signs, etc. Suggest getting an account.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:44:54 AM »

To me its not about being thin skinned.  I'm originally from Philadelphia, which means my skin is 1/4" plate steel (necessary to survive in philly). I'm new to all this, so every time I click into a thread I'm hoping to learn something.  When all I see is bickering, everyone seems petty, and the only thing I learn from the thread is about human nature, and I already know that.

You see this stuff on all forums, but some are better at controlling it.  One forum I read with some regularity is advrider.com.  The created a "basement", forums at the bottom of the list where anything goes (the forum is called "Jo momma" if you want a sense of the tenor of the discussion.)  As a result, the politics, bashing, religion, and anything else unrelated gets pushed down there, so the main parts of the forum stay on topic and productive.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »

I've noticed it too.  Haven't logged on there in a long time.

To me it seems that there is a controlling 'clique' there, and if you aren't accepted by that clique, your comments can wind up gone, while comments that are more inflammatory and brash are left alone--because the person who posted it is in that clique.

I've even taken to not commenting much any more in this forum because of the know-it alls who argue to h*ll and gone about things that really don't matter too much to anyone but themselves.  Now, if I click on a topic that I know something about and the 'right' answer is already posted, most of the time I don't add to it.  To me, it's not worth the argument any more--I've got better things to do.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »

The owner of QRZ.com is a total jerk. I cant get over how he allows the way his buddies treat the new "no-code" hams. I went through it and finally told them off, and told the owner off in an e-mail. Of course, I got banned and I am proud of it LOL
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

Just be be aware if you sell something on QRZ.Com. Your name, address,  city and state as well as your IP Address is logged right there in the open.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »

If you get a book, you can easily refer back and forth. Not so easy on a video. Another problem is a guy asks a question. To what level do you need to go help him? Does he need a helping hand almost from 'what is a resistance?' or just a reference and discussion on something in an IEEE Transactions?

There is a question that I have, and I guess I'll try it in Elmers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: