Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to buy TS590 or upmarket from there?  (Read 10064 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:14 AM »

Right, after a few really hard years, never trust a solicitor :-( I am now in a position to buy a new rig. 

I will have sold my 75A4 and probably the dotty Ts440 and TS530.

Operation a lot of CW, so it must handle the fast and furious, not really ntereted in a K3, they sound a bit like would you like fries with that.

Thinking a TS590, but what would you buy as the next step up from there?

Anything I get will have to be shipped in to NZ,  Thanks

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:36:37 AM »

Thinking a TS590, but what would you buy as the next step up from there?

In 2010 after selling my Flexradio 5000 I bought a TS-590s. It was just going to be a temporary radio. The Kenwood far exceeded my expectations and I still use it daily. It is my main radio. It is a very good radio and impossible to beat in its price range.

Next step up for me is the Kenwood TS-990. It may however take me a while to accumulate enough $$$ to buy one.  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »

:)Thanks, a TS990 that is a big step up in dollars.  Was thinking FTDX3000, but everyone raves about the TS590.  Will still keep some of my Drake gear probably the B line and TR4/Rv4.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
NZ0T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »

As a CW op you will want a down conversion rig like the K3 or TS-590 (on some bands) that allows very narrow roofing filters.  No AGC pumping - QRM just disappears.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »

Yep, I am still considering whether to just do the Sherwood front end filter mod to the C line I have.

Could also build the QSK adapter from QST feb/2012.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:38:42 AM by ZL1BBW » Logged

K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »

.....from what I've read, several offerings from TenTec are excellent radios for operating CW, particularly QSK.  I have no personal experience with them however.  I think that they even give potential owners a 30-day free trial.

...btw, I like my ts-590 and cannot think of any other new rig in its class or above (without going totally nuts)  to replace it.  I don't operate CW, but it is terrific for digital modes.

GL/73
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »

Looking a TS-590 as well and recently came across this Info Page at ...

G3NRW - Kenwood TS-590S Resources Page
LINK: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »

Operation a lot of CW, so it must handle the fast and furious, not really ntereted in a K3, they sound a bit like would you like fries with that.

I haven't seen K3's described as if they were the main course at McDonalds... Just curious what you mean? No, I'm not a Elecraft evangelist.

vy 73,
Dave N4KD
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »

Well you get the Tcvr, then if you want an extra Rx that is and add on, oh you want filters with that, Pan output that is extra as well and on it goes.  I looked at a nicely specd K3 and it was a fortune, hence the analogy that I have seen used elsewhere in relation to the Kline of fries with that.

On another topic the big M is now selling Georgie Pie's again over here, hope they are as good as the original  Grin

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:47 AM »

If your uncle is Bill Gates, buy the Hilberling PT8000. Its right on the top of Sherwood list.  How could you miss it!
It got a good score card in the RSGB review, close to being perfect except that the transmitter which was noisy. This could cause a problem only in multi multi contest stations.
On RX it has a superb sound.  I have played with a Hilberling for 2 weeks in my shack. Its a  very impressive radio all round. Its asking price can be justified because its
really so well designed and constructed. The man behind this radio is Mr Excellence himself.  The transmitter is the cleanest transmitter IMD wise available to any ham that does not use class A. The RX audio just sound so clean and has such a rich full bodied non fatiguing sound. The K3 sounds like a tin when compared with the Hilberling.
I cant use my K3 for long because to me it sound harsh. What strikes me about the Hilberling is  that it sounds like your ears are being massaged by the radio, its just so warm and delightful. Many good SDR receivers have this nice warm sound like many old tube radios. The AGC and its weak signal performance is excellent. Anyway fly to Germany and have a test drive you will buy one once you hear it.

The TS990S would have been a nice radio  in my book if it had a calibrated S-meter. Kenwood has  a very odd calibration for S9 on the TS990S.
Its calibrations varies from -81 to -88dbm for S9 depending on what band you on. They could easily  develop a calibrated scale on the bandscope if they wished.
Why Kenwood could not produce a calibrated S meter  is really hard to understand. The K3's S-meter is very linear when calibrated.
I dont know has happened to the ARRL review  in QST for the TS990S. Was the specifications so bad that the ARRL is giving the Kenwood a second chance?
Some of the RX specifications are not the best on the TS990S, but I will reserve my judgement because the radio and its firmware is evolving.

I think if you bought both the Hilberling and the TS990S you would be a happy man. If I had to chose one radio it would be the TS990S only because it has the bandscope which is looking right at your face. It really is mission control  ergonomics which makes the radio a pleasure to use. Having bandscope to the right or left of the radio or on an external monitor is not the same as looking at the radio with the bandscope on the front panel. Icom and Kenwood win on the ergonomics for this very reason. A bandscope belongs on the front panel in the middle of radio for operating and ergonomic ease.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »

If your uncle is Bill Gates, buy the Hilberling PT8000. Its right on the top of Sherwood list.  How could you miss it!
It got a good score card in the RSGB review, close to being perfect except that the transmitter which was noisy. This could cause a problem only in multi multi contest stations.
On RX it has a superb sound.  I have played with a Hilberling for 2 weeks in my shack. Its a  very impressive radio all round. Its asking price can be justified because its
really so well designed and constructed. The man behind this radio is Mr Excellence himself.  The transmitter is the cleanest transmitter IMD wise available to any ham that does not use class A. The RX audio just sound so clean and has such a rich full bodied non fatiguing sound. The K3 sounds like a tin when compared with the Hilberling.
I cant use my K3 for long because to me it sound harsh. What strikes me about the Hilberling is  that it sounds like your ears are being massaged by the radio, its just so warm and delightful. Many good SDR receivers have this nice warm sound like many old tube radios. The AGC and its weak signal performance is excellent. Anyway fly to Germany and have a test drive you will buy one once you hear it.

The TS990S would have been a nice radio  in my book if it had a calibrated S-meter. Kenwood has  a very odd calibration for S9 on the TS990S.
Its calibrations varies from -81 to -88dbm for S9 depending on what band you on. They could easily  develop a calibrated scale on the bandscope if they wished.
Why Kenwood could not produce a calibrated S meter  is really hard to understand. The K3's S-meter is very linear when calibrated.
I dont know has happened to the ARRL review  in QST for the TS990S. Was the specifications so bad that the ARRL is giving the Kenwood a second chance?
Some of the RX specifications are not the best on the TS990S, but I will reserve my judgement because the radio and its firmware is evolving.

I think if you bought both the Hilberling and the TS990S you would be a happy man. If I had to chose one radio it would be the TS990S only because it has the bandscope which is looking right at your face. It really is mission control  ergonomics which makes the radio a pleasure to use. Having bandscope to the right or left of the radio or on an external monitor is not the same as looking at the radio with the bandscope on the front panel. Icom and Kenwood win on the ergonomics for this very reason. A bandscope belongs on the front panel in the middle of radio for operating and ergonomic ease.

Have a look at N1UL's stations (http://www.n1ul.com/). I need a bib and a bucket under my chin whenever I look at his website.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:55 AM »

Hi TNX

thanks for the N1UL site.
Wow what a lucky fellow, it seems to me he has more money to spend as I have sandgrains in my garden hihi.

73 Jos
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 07:30:06 AM »

Hi to my neighbour on the other side of the globe.

I have a TS590S for about 2 1/2  yrs now and though I find it has a few nasty "bugs"in it, I think for the money it is an excellent tranciever.

If you are a bit smart you can work around the bugs of which i only one find very anoying and that is when multiple sources of QRM appear from household electronics the IF DSp on CW can go crazy.

But on the other hand all other rigs I had had some better and some bad points.
 i am also on the look out for another rig , but I tried a lot and I must say that all other rigs didn't offer me enough progress to update the TS590 yet.

Yes you can find better rigs but they will cost you at least twice the money and even then the improvement is only very marginal.

So if you do not live in an area where there are about 200 switching PSU's of all kinds within 50 yards, that all make a bit QRM on several hambands, and some make QRM on all HF bands and much qrm, but you can not blame your tranciever for other people that bought cheap chinese junk with awful bad power suplies.

If you do not have this problem and you want a decent and afordable rig the TS590 is a good choise.
And even with a good rig you will get no results without a decent antenna system as its ears.

Happy holidays Jos
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »

:)Thanks, a TS990 that is a big step up in dollars.  Was thinking FTDX3000, but everyone raves about the TS590.  Will still keep some of my Drake gear probably the B line and TR4/Rv4.

I have had the 590 and now have the 3000. Both are great rigs but the 3000 is quieter and has better filtering. Can't go wrong with either.

Don KF7DS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: