Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fldigi for FT-897D  (Read 11678 times)
KT4DLB

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »

I'm trying to use Fldigi with the Rigblaster Plug-n-Play and my Yaesu FT-897D radio. I can get everything to work fine for PSK31 and will receive CW fine. But sending CW I can't get to work. When I try to send cw, its just a straight mono tone coming out of the radio and the yellow cw light don't come on, but the red PTT light does on the Rigblaster Plug-n-Play. Any suggestions will appreciated.

Lamar
KT4DLB
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

FLdigi uses sound card audio to send CW (technically MCW on sideband). keep the FT897 in data (USB) mode and it will work.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »

In order to do "real" CW with the Plug & Play, you need to use a separate cable (available from WMR for $9.95) and use the dedicated CW jack on the box. And of course, your rig needs to be in CW mode.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=plus_cw_cbl
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:46:22 AM »

Well I already had the cable running from the plug n play box to the radio. I tried what the other suggestion and no difference. I notice the cw comes out the speaker hook to the computer and the straight tone comes from the radio. That don't seem right to me. Still checking out and looking for answer.

Lamar
KT4DLB
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:20:06 AM »

Gotta ask...

Are you using the separate cable from the CW jack on the P&P to the key input on the radio? And is your radio in CW mode?
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »

Yes separate cable from the cw input on plug n play to cw jack on back of radio. Yes set to cw on radio.

Lamar
KT4DLB
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »

I don't own the radio you do but I do own a FT-950. In the menu for CW operation I had to make sure I was in the right keying mode.

I use a K1EL Winkeyer with DM780 and my FT-950 sends perfect CW while in the CW mode.

So maybe you need to make a menu adjustment in the rig. Just a thought.
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »

I checked that also and everything is correct. I'm about to the point to pull the program and go a different route. I still open for any suggestions or help. Thanks

Lamar
KT4DLB
KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:29:09 AM »

Using fldigi that is working on PSK31, you should only have to change the mode.  The radio will show transmit as usual but the software is sending CW, or at least what sounds like CW.
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

When working on PSK31, the plug n play RTT light stays on when sending. But when you cut over to say to cw, then the yellow or RTT light will come on. SO now?

Lamar
KT4DLB
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »

When working on PSK31, the plug n play RTT light stays on when sending. But when you cut over to say to cw, then the yellow or RTT light will come on. SO now?

Lamar
KT4DLB

Lamar,

I see lots of comments here about external keying lines, etc.  Based upon your comments, I assume you're switching Fldigi to CW and then switching the 897D to CW mode as well?  Right?

Well, don't.  Try this.

Set it up just the way you do for PSK31....leave the rig in DATA mode (or whichever mode you have it working in for PSK31) and then simply switch Fldigi to CW mode.  Do NOT switch the rig to CW. Send a few V's and I'd bet that it works just fine. 

Fldigi does not do true CW...it does, for lack of a better term, ACW (similar to AFSK)....audio injected CW.  If you are operating correctly and cleanly using PSK31, you'll have no problem doing the same for CW.  It is NOT MCW like some erroneously suggest and is perfectly legal.  The key is to make sure you have 0 (none, zip, nada) ALC action when keying. 

The reason why your lights are coming on when you switch over the CW mode is that Fldigi is triggering the PTT, but there is not interruption sent by Fldigi to "key" morse code, so it sends a steady tone. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:34 AM »

So the  the straight tone is normal then. So then I could turn down the volume on the radio and just listen to the cw coming from the speaker off of the plug n play. I really appreciate all the information especially from Dave. Thanks again to all that responded.

73's

Lamar
KT4DLB
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »

So the  the straight tone is normal then. So then I could turn down the volume on the radio and just listen to the cw coming from the speaker off of the plug n play. I really appreciate all the information especially from Dave. Thanks again to all that responded.

73's

Lamar
KT4DLB

The straight tone is normal IF you're in CW mode on the rig and you're using Fldigi to key the circuit.   However, if you're using Fldigi to send AND receive CW, it is best to be in the same DATA mode you use for PSK31.  That's the only way Fldigi will send CW out of the box.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »

The straight tone is normal IF you're in CW mode on the rig and you're using Fldigi to key the circuit.   However, if you're using Fldigi to send AND receive CW, it is best to be in the same DATA mode you use for PSK31.  That's the only way Fldigi will send CW out of the box.

Dave
K3DCW

Not just best to be in DATA mode on the radio, it's a requirement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: