Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Logs?  (Read 4549 times)
KK4RHF

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:34:59 AM »

Other than contesting is there an actual requirement or use for them? I don't transmit very often and I have 99.8% of my contacts in there. Is this sort of like the driver's log that truckers keep? They refer to them as "Funny Books." I would actually prefer to not keep the log if there is no requirement for them. But, if I start contesting I will keep meticulous logs for the points
So what is your take on this or is there a passage in Part 97 or some other regulatory requirement?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:52:40 AM »

Keeping a station log is no longer mandated by Part 97.

Keeping a log isn't just for contesting. It is an absolute must if you are working towards things like DXCC and WAS. With computerized logging integrated into many of the popular "suite" of amateur radio programs, there is really no excuse not to keep a log.
KK4RHF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

DXCC and WAS I assume those are mile stone DX awards. My station log is hand written and the reason I only had 99.8% is sometimes I could not hear the other station well enough to get the call letters.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:39:18 AM by KK4RHF » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »

DXCC is the DX Century Club and you become a member once you have confirmed contacts with 100 DX entities. WAS is the Worked All States award and you get one of these once you confirm contacts in all 50 states.

I know you will have a bazillion questions about these programs, so rather than try to explain them here, I will point you to the parts of the ARRL website that explains them in detail.

DXCC: http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules

WAS: http://www.arrl.org/was
KK4RHF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  All of this is new to me, I know my electronics but the Operator bit more complicated.
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »

Welcome to ham radio. A couple more things to put on the to do list: 1. Find/join a local club. 2. Connect with a local ham and ask away, we call them "Elmers"
KD8IZZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »

I have only been a ham for 5 years so I was able to keep a giant excel spreadsheet of all my contacts. It allows me to generate lots of statistics. And a digital log enables you to use LotW.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »

Keeping a log is a very good practice for many reasons.  One of those reasons is to defend yourself in the event you are ever challenged with TVI/RFI claims from neighbors or other radio services.  I log each and every contact no matter how short the contact.  As mentioned before it is very easy to do with today's technology.  No reason not to log. Regards -Joe n3Hee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: