Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW Help Please  (Read 14262 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »

So I made a contact in the Canary Islands this morning, and I'm excited because it's only the second day of me being up and going on 10 meters. The guy (EA8AM) isn't on eQSL so I presumed I'd need to get LoTW going. I went through the "Request a Callsign Certificate" process.  I requested a certificate. The program sent it off through the internet. Then the instructions say this -

NOTE!

Do not delete the Callsign Certificate Request (the red-lined
   "pending" icon) from TQSL's "Callsign Certificates" tab after the Request
   has been conveyed.

I do not see any "red-lined pending" icons under the Callsign Certificates tab,  or any other tab for that matter. I have not received any email conformations that indicates I've done anything whatsoever. I see no logs or any other indication I've done a thing in the program to request anything. But it definitely did send a request off, because I was watching the thing. How do I even know that anything is in the process of being completed if there is no record of my requesting this "certificate"?

Oh and by the way - I have to wait for a postcard in the mail? I thought we were in the 21st century?  Roll Eyes

KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »

Yep... Welcome to LoTW! You now have to wait for the postcard in the mail.

Chris - KU7PDX
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »

First, don't panic.  I would guess that you downloaded the newest verrsion of TQSL (Version 2.0).  If I'm right, there have been significant changes to the TQSL program.  So much so, the ARRL Web Page has not been updated to reflect the changes.  It's been out for a month or so (out of Beta that is).

Next the post card.  It's the ARRL's way of verifying who you are so that they control their awards to the licensee.  The card gets sent to the address in the FCC database for that call.  It's their program and they have determined that is the best way to prevent award fraud.  I don't even want to guess why someone would defraud a ham radio QSO award, but hey, some people I guess would.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »

OK thanks. I sent in a problem ticket. I'll wait for the answer. I just don't understand why there is no record whatsoever of my doing anything at all in the program. As I said, I didn't even get an email that I did anything. They really need to put a warm fuzzy confirmation along the line at some point in the process.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »

You are now going through the most painful and excruciating part of the LoTW process. The good news is that you only have to do this once. You will have to eventually renew your certificate since they are only good for 3 years, but that is just the matter of a click of a button from within the TQSL program.

Once you get all hooked up, be sure to submit all your logs as far back as you have them. You receive confirmation credits starting from the day you received your callsign, not from the day you signed up for LoTW.

99 more to go and you get one of these:

Good Luck!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »

"AWARD FRAUD"!!!!

ROTFLMAOATCTALTAIHAVLA

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off And That Could Take A Long Time As I Have A Very Large Ass

I see the ARRL Black Helos circling the QTH's of those fraudulent loggers now!
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »

I believe you have to email them the file. It is not sent automatically.  I had the same issue when I set it up last year.  The instructions are a bit misleading.  I emailed the question and they got back to me the same day.  Once they get the file you will get your postcard. Since then I have never had any issues with Lotw.

Phil
K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »

Good luck with LOTW.  I had this very interesting email chat with an ARRL rep over not being able to get the program to work for me.  He actually suggested using HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) instead of LOTW and made some off-hand/snide comments to the effect of "well, that's LOTW," as if it isn't SUPPOSED to work.  This from the ARRL no less.  And I'm paying them annual dues.  Go figure.

I did everything by the letter and still can't log QSLs.

Your mileage may vary.

Still considering HRD, but "free" versus $100 is a big jump.  Except "free" doesn't always work.

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »

we've had a 100% success rate setting up HRD to work with TQSL 1.x and 2.X. 
K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »

Did I miss something?  To use TQSL you have to have another program, like HRD or Maclogger running?

I'm not sure I got that from the directions.  I thought it was an autonomous program for logging QSOs.

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Did I miss something?  To use TQSL you have to have another program, like HRD or Maclogger running?

No, you do not. TQSL enables you to directly submit a file containing QSOs in ADIF or Cabrillo format to LotW. TQSL can also record or modify QSOs in an ADIF file, but there are many logging applications -- free and otherwise -- that would serve you better for these tasks.

If you're having trouble getting going with LoTW, contact me via aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com and I'll give you a hand.

Dave, AA6YQ
K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 04:19:55 AM »

No, you do not. TQSL enables you to directly submit a file containing QSOs in ADIF or Cabrillo format to LotW. TQSL can also record or modify QSOs in an ADIF file, but there are many logging applications -- free and otherwise -- that would serve you better for these tasks.

If you're having trouble getting going with LoTW, contact me via aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com and I'll give you a hand.

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks, Dave.  Maybe over the holidays (I'm taking some time off work for family, hobbies, friends coming in from out of town) I'll give you a call.

I'm new to this.  Got tech/general in August, Extra a month later (I'm a quick study), a radio, still trying to make an antenna that will work/fit with my yard and wife's tastes (SWMBO refers to my fan dipole as "the al qaeda connection" like something the cave-dwelling extremists would hang outside their operations' center), and just get the hang of talking on the radio.

I've made a handful of connections - a few through pileups - very satisfying to chat with someone over 2000 miles away in Mexico on a 20M dipole with a 5:1 SWR at 100 watts, or the canary islands.

Logging those QSOs was a major pain in the tuchus.

I struggled with LoTW at length and was really amazed that a rep from ARRL would tell me, after the install, the email, the postcard, the registration, that it's not a very functional program and it's really not.  I'd hoped this would be easier.

Gordon West tells me "have fun," and I get bogged down in the mire of QSO loggers, a mini-VNA that was broken out of the box but kept me troubleshooting it for over 8 hours (with emails to the european designers and US retailer), a "QSO-king" end-fed antenna that on paper looks like it might work (but doesn't - not as advertised), and more administrativial detail through the officious ARRL and so on.  Not as fun as I'd like, but I do have a friend locally who's also new to this - we have the same radios - and he's a big help too.

I'll get in touch.

Thanks again for the offer.

Merry Christmas.

Norm

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 04:43:23 AM »

Well I finally got a log signed and upload to LoTW.

Problem now is, not every Ham uses LoTW, and some do not send out paper cards, they only use eQSL.

So ... how do I get an award based on LoTW/ARRL if many Hams only use eQSL and specifically state they do not send out Cards? It's a mess.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:12:53 AM »

Well I finally got a log signed and upload to LoTW.

Problem now is, not every Ham uses LoTW, and some do not send out paper cards, they only use eQSL.

So ... how do I get an award based on LoTW/ARRL if many Hams only use eQSL and specifically state they do not send out Cards? It's a mess.

Its not a mess at all. So did someone promise you that it would be easy to get those awards? If they did, they lied to you!

Its far easier now with LoTW than it ever was before when the only way to get those awards was with paper QSL cards.

All of these have been earned exclusively through LoTW:

It took several years to earn these. You just need to keep working stations until you get enough of them to confirm the contacts. You don't get a special award for how fast you earn an award!

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:18:08 AM »

Its not a mess at all. So did someone promise you that it would be easy to get those awards? If they did, they lied to you!

Its far easier now with LoTW than it ever was before when the only way to get those awards was with paper QSL cards.

How do I get an ARRL award when I make a valid contact with a licensed ham radio station that only uses eQSL?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: