Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: another flex 3000...  (Read 16223 times)
N2DTS

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »

I broke down and ordered another flex 3000.
I am quite pleased with my sdr-iq, its quite good, but not as quiet as I would like on weak signals, plus my computer seems to have a high delay through the usb ports, even on the seperate plug in usb card. Like 1/2 a second...

The same computer did not have a problem on the firewire.
I like the computer, it was cheap, its small, its got a quad core, and the weak points are the video and the usb delay.
It ran the flex stuff very well, but anything with usb has a very long delay, even the qs1r with the on board dac had a LOT of delay.

So I could go ethernet, or firewire, if I want to keep the computer, which I like because of its small size.
Anything better then the sdr-iq that uses ethernet is very expensive and does not run software I like, so after hearing the new flex software made big improvements, I decided to try the 3000 again, mostly as a receiver.

It would be nice if they came out with some cheaper 16 bit receivers that use ethernet and would be easy to set up for hdsdr, sdr-console, and spectraview....

The net-sdr from rf space would be nice, but its about the same price as the flex 3000!
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »

I have a small CNC Lathe and Mill, one thing we run into is latency with different boards

They actually setup a list of boards that run well and others that do not.
This could very well be the same issue with the SDR radios and people having issues.

For my CNC machine what turned out to be a great board was a cheap Intel Atom board.

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

Something in this computer (a small cheap one, Acer ax1420g-u5832),

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Athlon-3-1GHz-Desktop-AX1420G-U5832/dp/B0068XUH10

and it has a delay through the usb port like you were talking over moon bounce.
But its just the usb, but even using a plug in board, not the on board stuff, its the same.
Maybe its something AMD does with the usb.
A firewire card seems real time....
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »

Why a second Flex 3000?  Separate stations simultaneous transmit?  Contest?
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »

No, I traded the old one for motorcycle money I think...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »

I broke down and ordered another flex 3000.
I am quite pleased with my sdr-iq, its quite good, but not as quiet as I would like on weak signals, plus my computer seems to have a high delay through the usb ports, even on the seperate plug in usb card. Like 1/2 a second...

The same computer did not have a problem on the firewire.
I like the computer, it was cheap, its small, its got a quad core, and the weak points are the video and the usb delay.

This delay is two fold. One is the actually memory and USB hub controller via motherboard chip set and the other part is because you have on board video with shared memory which steal CPU/memory cycles. If you motherboard has a PCIe 16 slot open you might try installing a after market video card. It does not have to be expensive but have its own GPU and memory and free up CPU and memory buss.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »

The power supply is limited, so I am not sure about a video card.
Its almost like a lap top in a case, but a bit better then that.

Firewire works great...
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »

Firewire works great...

Finding a Firewire card that works well with a Flex now day’s is becoming more and more difficult. 

Tim, N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »

Firewire works great...

Fire wire uses a different buss/controller. As far as video card, a modern low end card would draw very little extra power.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:47:04 AM »

Not so.
Amazon is loaded with them for $22.00, and flex will sell you the same card for $50.00.
Still used in a lot of music equipment...

Firewire works great...

Finding a Firewire card that works well with a Flex now day’s is becoming more and more difficult. 

Tim, N9RO

N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:51:55 AM »

Not so.
Amazon is loaded with them for $22.00, and flex will sell you the same card for $50.00.

Firewire works great...

Tim, N9RO

Dead Wrong!  Most of those of Amazon cards (many you do not even know what the chip set is) do NOT have the proper chip set, without the TI chip set you may see strange problems.  I know that for a fact because I have worked with Flex support on this issue and had to move to a TI chip set even though I was using another approved chip set.  Of course you can purchase them from Flex for $50 but most hams are not foolish enough to pay that much for an old legacy card.
Tim

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »

I don't know, I just googled firewire card with TI chipset and came up with pages of them.
The one I got was $22.00 off amazon and has the TI chipset.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »

Not so.

Firewire works great...

Tim, N9RO

Dead Wrong!  Most of those of Amazon cards (many you do not even know what the chip set is) do NOT have the proper chip set, without the TI chip set you may see strange problems.  I know that for a fact because I have worked with Flex support on this issue and had to move to a TI chip set even though I was using another approved chip set.  Of course you can purchase them from Flex for $50 but most hams are not foolish enough to pay that much for an old legacy card.
Tim

Chip set one motherboard is a bigger factor here. The type of South Bridge" in use has a big effect on how add on cards perform. And like a said before when you are using one board video than shares system RAM it creates a latency problem too because only one device at a time can access memory buss.

N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »

I don't know, I just googled firewire card with TI chipset and came up with pages of them.
The one I got was $22.00 off amazon and has the TI chipset.

Hi Brett,

When I do a search on Amazon for Firewire cards I get 5219 results, when I specify TI I get 614 (11%), if I specify a bus such as PCI-E it goes down to ONLY 31 (around 0.005%). These are in my opinion very poor numbers and reflects a not too good future.  Good discussion.

Tim

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »

But amazon is only one place to get a firewire card.
And in 5 years, its all going to be out of date, as everything will be running windoze 19 off chips implanted in your head or something...

I have 4 gig of memory in the computer, and most of it sits unused during sdr operation, cpu is around 9%.

Windows seems to allocate a block of memory for the video.
One thing I find odd is that windows seems to be using the hard drive a bit, even though there is much unused memory.
Its not a great computer, but its small, which I like/need.
The motherboard is lap top size, but it does have a very large heat sink on the cpu...

With firewire, the computer works great with the flex stuff, only the USB port has delay, everything works fine, its just late to the party.
Not a big deal on voice, unless I want to monitor myself, and for that, the firewire used to work fine, even on the old software.
I hear they improved things quite a bit on the last release.

I have an old Sony laptop running XP I think, and it runs the flex stuff ok, 2 core 1.6 GHz, not a lot of memory, and oddly enough, the usb ports are faster. The built in firewire port also works fine for the flex stuff, its just pushing the limits of the cpu/memory and it has more delay through the system overall.

One day I will figure out a way to fit a real computer in the shack.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: