The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Icom 756ProIII w/ Vibroplex Bug  (Read 2733 times)
W4CDO

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »

I use an iambic paddle and sometimes a straight key with my Icom IC-756ProIII transceiver. I use the internal electronic keyer with the iambic key and usually connect a straight key to the rear jack also. Recently I have bought a Vibroplex Champion bug at a hamfest. I've adjusted the bug per instructions and videos that I found on the internet and it seems to be doing just fine.

My question concerns the BUG-KEY setting in the transceiver keyer type menu. I don't fully understand all it does. If I select the straight key setting, the electronic keyer is turned off, and the bug, connected to the front key jack, seems to function like I would expect (like a straight key). When I chose the BUG-KEY setting, I get a constant tone like you would get from a closed key. What I don't understand is what is the function of the BUG-KEY setting. Seems like the straight key setting is right for a bug, which, after all is electrically just a simple on-off switch. I also have an Icom IC-7000 and the menu choices for keyer type is much the same as the 756ProIII.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Jerry w4cdo
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »

Yes, the straight key setting is for a bug.

IIRC, the BUG-KEY setting is for making your paddles act like a BUG. You would still have automatic dots but the dash paddle would no longer put out automatic dashes.

W4CDO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:08:25 PM »

Thank you, Martin, that makes sense. I'll try it and see what it does.
Jerry w4cdo
W4CDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »

Martin, you nailed it. I plugged in my iambic paddle to the front panel jack, selected BUG-KEY, and I get repeating dots when I press the dot key and steady dash when I press the dash key--just like a bug.

Thanks again,
Jerry
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:10:49 AM »

Glad to be of assistance. You had logically worked out all the things it didn't do. So it was only a matter of time before you came across the proper function.

Some time the manufacturers get too wrapped up in describing how to navigate their menus and forget to tell you what the function does. Or, they describe how to access the menu function on one page, but describe the function 20 pages later.

I learned and operated CW using a straight key and keyer long before I got a bug (1916 Blue Racer). But I could not get the hang of the manual dashes well enough to be useful. So I muted the automatic dots and added an extra wire. Now I can use it plugged into a keyer. My bug has some serious "patina", but I still get the same feel as it's clacking around. My CW is much cleaner that way.

Have fun with your new bug.

PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »

Hi Jerry

Yes just handle the Vibroplex and connect it like you would a straight key to your Icom.

Have fun learning the bug, i use a 100th ann. Vibroplex as well as paddles and a single lever key.

It took me quite a while to be comfortable on the bug (about 6 month), a lot longer then going from straight key to the paddles (about 3 weeks).

Luckely never learned the Iambic squeezing, that would have made my battle for bug control even more nasty hihi, I am now comfortable with paddles,ngle lever and bug and can change between them random between words, as they are all hooked up parrallel to my TS590S.
The bug on the straight key entrance the single lever to the internal el-bug of the TS590 and the paddles parallel on the straight key entrance through an external Pico keyer. 

I just can go from one to the other between words no need for pressing or adjusting a single knob, just put my hand to what ever key I want to use.

Have fun with the bug I realy love mine in operating it, it is just like the rolling stones my bug hand, that it shines its beauty because of its uglyness.

Still use single lever and paddles in the same single lever fashion never could learn the squeezing, I am far to clumsy.

73 Jos
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: