The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Morse Learning Campaign  (Read 295824 times)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: April 18, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »

Martin,

TOO MUCH THINKING!!!!! Just get on the air with what you know. If you miss a letter here or there, who cares. I "knew" the code well enough to pass my novice exam but I still had my "dots and dashes cheatsheet" there by my key just in case. And yes, I counted dots and dashes.

Guess what?

I somehow, miraculously, was able to master Morse by counting dots and dashes.

Enough of practice. I don't want to hear about learning anymore. You KNOW Morse code, use it on the air!! After 2 weeks of at least ONE short QSO every day you will wonder why you spent so much time "practicing".

C'mon!!!!!

paul

I want to propose the perfect vanity call for the OP: "KB1OCD"    Grin

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: April 18, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »

Martin:  I second STX!  Come on...... do it!!
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »

I want to propose the perfect vanity call for the OP: "KB1OCD"    Grin

LOL! Seriously though, I will be on the air very soon indeed. I don't think of myself as OCD but it's true that I am one of the world's great procrastinators. I start all sort of things, then never finish them. This time will be different though.

FWIW, KB1OCD is already allocated, to another ham in my state of Massachusetts!

As for my existing callsign, I used to be fond of it and never wanted to change it. But it is a bit of a mouthful on CW so when I upgrade to Extra (which will happen a decent interval after I get on the air) I may prefer to let them allocate a shorter systemic call. As I understand it, it is often a shorter variant of the existing one???

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

Just get on the air with what you know.

I "knew" the code well enough to pass my novice exam but I still had my "dots and dashes cheatsheet" there by my key just in case. And yes, I counted dots and dashes.

We all have at least one of a miraculous device usually referred to as the human brain. It learns new things at a furious rate and in many ways that are still a great mystery even to the geniuses who are busily inventing the robotic automobile.

The human brain learns things one way or another way. Then as the miraculous device is used again and again it magically changes its processing so that it becomes more and more efficient. The device may have begun counting dits and dahs despite the idiocy and illegality not to mention foolishness of doing this. But the device, without any further programming, drug infusion or flogging at the post, proceeds to hear Morse Code symbols holistically rather than by counting. Eventually the device learns to hear whole words and, possibly, even short sentences, and even more, whole QSOs without reverting back to the prehuman practice of counting dits and dahs.

With the human brain, constant operating system updates are never necessary, not to mention periodic changes to faster processors. The operating system evolves itself. The processors continually upgrade automatically.

Meanwhile the robotic cars have been in development for decades. 1000s of PhD engineers constantly work 24/7 to solve major screwups.

As I recall I learned to drive a stick shift car in one afternoon when I was 14. Eventually we may develop a robotic car which only crashes and kills someone three or four times a year, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Grin
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: April 18, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »

We all have at least one of a miraculous device usually referred to as the human brain. It learns new things at a furious rate and in many ways that are still a great mystery even to the geniuses who are busily inventing the robotic automobile.

The human brain learns things one way or another way. Then as the miraculous device is used again and again it magically changes its processing so that it becomes more and more efficient. The device may have begun counting dits and dahs despite the idiocy and illegality not to mention foolishness of doing this. But the device, without any further programming, drug infusion or flogging at the post, proceeds to hear Morse Code symbols holistically rather than by counting. Eventually the device learns to hear whole words and, possibly, even short sentences, and even more, whole QSOs without reverting back to the prehuman practice of counting dits and dahs.

With the human brain, constant operating system updates are never necessary, not to mention periodic changes to faster processors. The operating system evolves itself. The processors continually upgrade automatically.
I
Beautifully put!  I would like to add that the brain never sleeps, or so it seems.  I'd like to have a dollar for every time I woke up at 3:00AM with a solution to a problem I've been working on all day.....or wake up remembering a name.  I like to think of the brain as two fingers going through a filing cabinet pulling folders, checking them and moving on to other folders and drawers, all night long. 
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: April 19, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »

I would like to add that the brain never sleeps, or so it seems.  I'd like to have a dollar for every time I woke up at 3:00AM with a solution to a problem I've been working on all day.....or wake up remembering a name.

Those of us who have worked in the psych trade like to attribute the hidden magic of the brain to that old, often wrong, but insightful rascal Siggy Freud. His term was "the unconscious."

Much more recent psychological science shows us quite clearly that we are hardly the rational, logical creatures that we think we are. The more primitive parts of the brain are much more powerful than the more-recently-evolved logical parts. Memory is not under direct control, despite your confusion that your brain is exactly like your computer.

Many of us who have had to come up with new ideas every day in order to earn a paycheck, do exactly as you have described. We review the requirements of a challenging project the day before. The next day, after a night's sleep, presto-changeo, the solutions are waiting to be put down on paper, or whatever high-tech recording device.

I am so often surprised that many seemingly-intelligent people suffer badly under the illusion that "they" are "in control" of their "minds." That little man they think they have in their heads operating the wheels and levers of their consciousness isn't necessarily their friend!  Grin

KE0EFX

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: April 19, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »

I would like to add that the brain never sleeps, or so it seems.  I'd like to have a dollar for every time I woke up at 3:00AM with a solution to a problem I've been working on all day.....or wake up remembering a name.

Those of us who have worked in the psych trade like to attribute the hidden magic of the brain to that old, often wrong, but insightful rascal Siggy Freud. His term was "the unconscious."

Not to hijack this thread but just a quick question to you KE6EE.  Since you were "in the trade", as you say, do you have any thoughts on Norman Doidge, M.D. and his books on brain function? Specifically, the book regarding the brain and chronic pain, “The Brain's Way of Healing”?

KE0EFX, Scott

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: April 19, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »

Do you have any thoughts on Norman Doidge, M.D. and his books on brain function?
KE0EFX, Scott

I hadn't heard of him Scott, but I looked up his books. In general I wholly agree with his perspective--that the mind and body
are part of one integrated system. Every little part of you can affect every other little part of you.

My summary: your thoughts and mind are electrochemical processes just like your digestion or your ability to run and jump. What you think and perhaps especially, feel, does indeed affect, positively or negatively and in all sorts of ways, everything that happens in your body.

I don't know exactly what Doidge writes about healing, but I think probably most psychiatrists, physicians and biologists agree with contemporary holistic mind/body ideas.

It is interesting that the notion of feelings and thoughts affecting every aspect of your well-being is really quite old-fashioned, even ancient. It wasn't until we began to be able to observe how the body works in much greater detail in recent decades that it has become the dominant paradigm.
KE0EFX

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: April 19, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »

Do you have any thoughts on Norman Doidge, M.D. and his books on brain function?
KE0EFX, Scott

I hadn't heard of him Scott, but I looked up his books. In general I wholly agree with his perspective--that the mind and body
are part of one integrated system. Every little part of you can affect every other little part of you.

My summary: your thoughts and mind are electrochemical processes just like your digestion or your ability to run and jump. What you think and perhaps especially, feel, does indeed affect, positively or negatively and in all sorts of ways, everything that happens in your body.

I don't know exactly what Doidge writes about healing, but I think probably most psychiatrists, physicians and biologists agree with contemporary holistic mind/body ideas.

It is interesting that the notion of feelings and thoughts affecting every aspect of your well-being is really quite old-fashioned, even ancient. It wasn't until we began to be able to observe how the body works in much greater detail in recent decades that it has become the dominant paradigm.

Thanks for your summary, Mike!  It's all very interesting how mind and body works together. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »

I'm inclined to think the rectum is the main controlling entity of the body.

There was an old story about someone's body parts getting into a heated argument over who was most important.

The brain argued that it controlled everything; the heart argued that it was the one who pump life sustaining blood throughout the body 24/7; the lungs argued that it was the organ that provided life sustaining oxygen to the body and so on.

The rectum finally spoke up and said it felt it was the most important part of the body.  All the other organs laughed and laughed. 

So the rectum shut off and before long the brain became fuzzy, unable to think, the legs and arms became lethargic and the lungs found it extremely difficult to function.  After a few weeks it came to pass the rectum was declared "King of the Body."

Just sayin...............
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: April 20, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »

I'm inclined to think the rectum is the main controlling entity of the body.

Now I understand why right thinking can be described as rectitude.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: