Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED lighting  (Read 7149 times)
K1PJR

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:39:30 AM »

Amazon sells LED lighting strips that I would like to use in the shack. They are 12 v but can I use my rig power supply at 13.8 without damaging the lights?
Thanks
Phil
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »

Those strips are designed to use on and in cars and such and that's why they are called 12v devices and as such will tolerate 14v and more.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:17:14 AM »

I bought these for a project a couple of months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GL5UG2/

They're great!  I've been thinking about using some of them for lighting in my shack; I don't know if they'll take 13.8v safely but using a dropping resistor ought to be fairly simple.

FWIW, the project I used the LED strips for uses 9vdc, and that works just fine.  They put out a little less light at 9v but it's exactly the effect I wanted.  And they really ARE pretty easy to cut into the lengths you want.
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »

Those are the strips I was gong to buy. Thanks!  Time to place a order.
Phil
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:27:32 AM »

Amazon sells LED lighting strips that I would like to use in the shack. They are 12 v but can I use my rig power supply at 13.8 without damaging the lights?
Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil

I have been using 12 VDC LED lighting in my shack for the past 3 years. I bought mine on EBay, from China. Much cheaper than buying those strips of lights in North America.

I have two strips of white LED's that are mounted under the top shelf on my operating desk. The lights are great, they light up all of my equipment. I do not use any other lighting in the shack when I operate. Both strips run off the power supplies that power my HF rigs.

One tip if you put them underneath a shelf. Put a strip of wood on the front edge of the shelf. Otherwise the lighting is hard on your eyes. Plus the wood strip helps deflect the lighting down onto your equipment. Check out the photos of my shack on my website and you'll see what I have set up. http://www3.bell.net/rickpp/

Those photos were taken without any other lighting other than the LED's and the camera flash. I can sit here and type and see the keyboard easily.

Rick VE3FMC
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:59 AM »

Rick, thanks for the link--that is a very nice looking setup.  I'm glad for the tip about the strip of wood--that'll save me some time when I finally get around to doing something like this myself.  :-)  TNX 73!  --ken (also on the FT950 group)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:33:39 AM »

Rick, thanks for the link--that is a very nice looking setup.  I'm glad for the tip about the strip of wood--that'll save me some time when I finally get around to doing something like this myself.  :-)  TNX 73!  --ken (also on the FT950 group)

Not a problem Ken. Make sure you check the Ebay sellers from China for those lights. I remember pricing the lights from sources in NA and the cost was far cheaper from China, plus they usually ship for free.

I realize some people like to shop North American, but I'd be willing to bet those North American dealers are buying the LED strips from China and bumping up the price!

As far at the FT-950 Yahoo group goes, I do not visit there much anymore. I do not like the new format, wish they had left it the way it was. Oh well maybe they call that progress!
73 Rick VE3FMC
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »

I use a Normandie Lighting brand LED table lamp to light up my setup. I originally bought it a couple years ago for a purpose that I no longer need it for, so I put it on top of my HF setup. I have all my stuff stacked on top of each other, since I don't have shelving. PS on the bottom, HF rig on top of PS, antenna tuner on top of rig, external speaker, Heathkit watt meter and lamp on top of tuner, and my UTC clock on top of the HM102. I call it "The Leaning Tower of Ham Radio".  Grin
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »

This is what I use for my lighting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3528-5M-Cool-White-300-LEDs-SMD-Flexible-Light-Strip-Lamp-DC-12V-Waterproof-/310811636489

You can order many different colors. I once put some a strip of Red LED's under the bottom of my desk shelf. Man that was just HAM SEXY when those were lit up Grin

But not enough light to see the rigs properly. With the white ones that is not a problem. My radios and all other equipment sits about 6 inches back from the top shelf, so every thing is lit up perfectly.
AF5MS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »

Just in case a dimmer would be helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Inline-Dimmer-LED-Strips/dp/B004T9ITQ0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1386057728

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Dimming-Controller-LED-Lights/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386057891

In my case, I just wanted to dim a 6 LED strip to illuminate the buttons on my FT-8800R.

Mike
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

A dimmer may come in handy. I found I did not need it as I wanted all my equipment well lit and that is what I accomplished.

It really is a great way to light up the operating desk and equipment, my LED lighting is all every time I am in the shack.
K1PJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »

Received the LED strips from Amazon. Peel and stick works great.  Cut the lenght I needed and installed in minutes.  Connected to power supply and no more desk lamp!  Provides more than enough light.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:32:54 AM »

I picked up a bunch of Sylvania tricolor LED strip lights to use as accent lighting. The price was right, and being able to change color is actually very nice:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/featured-products/Pages/mosaic-flexible-led-strips.aspx

I got them at Costco, $30 for 4 2 foot strips, controller, etc. I'm sure I could get generic strips cheaper and hack an Arduino project together for control, but the first set was an impulse buy (happens a lot at Costco...).
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »

If you are powering the LEDs from the same power supply as the rig, you may notice some fluctuation in light output, depending on how "stiff" your regulation is.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 05:50:28 AM »

If you are powering the LEDs from the same power supply as the rig, you may notice some fluctuation in light output, depending on how "stiff" your regulation is.

My are powered off a 35 A and 30 A supplies, so there is no dimming of the lights when I operate the radio. It could happen if the power supply is being pushed to the limit by the radio alone.

I recently installed a strip of red LED's, so I can turn off the white lights and operate with the red ones turned on. Looks great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: