Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hendricks QRP rigs---  (Read 9565 times)
VE3GNU

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »

Hendricks appears to have some pretty neat and value-laden kit-rigs on its website,  but Eham Reviews are pretty sparse---and in view of the shorter days and longer nights---and an emerging yen to get back to some kit-building, prompts the following question:  For those who have ordered, assembled, and 'worked' with the finished kits, what has been your experience?  My previous experience with Ten Ten, OHR, and Wilderness Radio has been stellar---i.e. great rigs, documentation, and 'complete packages' in every way.
Any responses are welcome and appreciated---and thanks in advance.
Ernie
VE3GNU
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »

Ernie,

Steve KD1JV designed or fine tuned the design of many of those kits.  Steve also has his own limited production kits.  I have one of Steve's 'Appalachian Trail Sprint IIIA' rigs.  These are not sold by qrpkits.com.  The quality of the kit and the instructions was very good.  The radio itself is amazing. 

I would bet that the Hendricks kits are even better as they have had more time to get feedback and fine tune things.  Plus, more of them have been built (again, more feedback).  Steve's own kits are made in runs of 50 to 100 kits and lately once offered for sale, sell out in hours.  Sometimes he will do a second run of a kit.  His own kits most often use surface mount components.  So, they are a little different from the typical kit.

Back to Hendricks   

I have seen, but not used a Weber Tri-Bander and it looked like a nice radio.  The person who built it regularly used it for 'Summits on the Air' activations and seemed very happy with it.  After looking at it, I wanted to order one myself.  But, I already have too many radios (I know - how's that possible? :-)).

There is a link to a review of the PFR3 on the qrpkits web site. 
http://www.qrpkits.com/files/QQ0708_46-47.pdf

There is a Bitx20 yahoo group mentioned on the Hendricks site.  That should be a great place to get information about that rig.  Other QRP major players worked on fine tuning that kit.

I believe you can look through the assembly/user manual for all of the Hendricks kits at the web site.

If you are interested in keeping up with Steve's projects, he has a yahoo group as well (AT_Sprint)

Here is where Steve publishes his content:

http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/

Based on the company they keep, I would not be reluctant to order any kit on the Hendricks qrp radio site.

BTW: Here is another group that has some very interesting kits - http://www.4sqrp.com/index.php
Look at the 'Magic Box' kit.  Also the NS-40.

Richard - K4KRW
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »

I just ordered the "SURVIVOR" 80 m 10 Watts, SSB/CW kit.  I'll keep this forum posted on speed of delivery, kit quality and etc.

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »

I've built both a Weber Dual Band in 20/40 meter (discontinued) and the SOTA tuner. They're both great pieces of equipment and one hell of a value at their price. My experience building them was that they're very well thought out kits with excellent instructions. I would not hesitate to order more kits from them.
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

Gentlemen---thank you for your responses to my posting---and I will continue to take notice of more.
Looking back now---and it's easy to do---the Wilderness SST, and Dave Benson's SWL series are looking 'better than ever' now---
As well, I have recently discovered an offering by the 'Four State QRP Group'---i.e. the Cyclone for 40 meters---very tempting indeed, but already having 2 QRP kit-rigs for that band, I am zeroing in on something for 30 meters, or perhaps 15 meters.
And taking a closer look at the offerings on the Hendricks web-site---the 'Simple Receiver' and 'Simple Transmitter' kits look really good---with the latter configured for 'straight key' only----meaning not workable with a paddle?
And yes---I have read about Steve Weber's ingenuity---very talented indeed, but I will not venture into anything to do with SMT parts---way too scary to me!
Thanks agn es 73---
Ernie
VE3GNU
KD2FAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »

And taking a closer look at the offerings on the Hendricks web-site---the 'Simple Receiver' and 'Simple Transmitter' kits look really good---with the latter configured for 'straight key' only----meaning not workable with a paddle?

The simple transmitter has a built in keyer. If a mono plug is in the key jack when powered on the rig will operate in straight key mode. If a stereo jack plug is in the jack then it will power up into paddle mode

For dinner on May 27, 1844 S.F.B. Morse had mutton chop and strawberries.
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »

Definitely determine what you want to do with the qrp rig.  I use a hendricks pfr3 for portable operating where more than one band is useful.  These rigs do not have all the features of a k1 or kx1 but have similar RF characteristics.  I suggest that you may want a decent receiver, stable vfo and qsk.  I review ed the Cyclone for QRP Quarterly.  Email me direct if you want more info on that rig.  Folk lament we can't buy this or that rig anymore but these rigs all do well enough.  73 Curt
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »

I just ordered the "SURVIVOR" 80 m 10 Watts, SSB/CW kit. 
I'll keep this forum posted on speed of delivery, kit quality and etc. de Ray W7ASA ..._ ._
Thanks for the post Ray.
I wasn't aware of this 80m offering from Hendricks.
I have been out of the building scene for a while due to funds.

Please do keep us updated on how your "Survivor"
goes together, how it performs,etc. Nice to see Hendricks
going back to offering a "board and parts only" version again,
at least for this rig.

Looking at it briefly, I see it uses a Polyvaricon tuning
arrangement.  These can be *very* easily modified to
use a varicap and Ten Turn Pot for much easier tuning,
and often larger tuning range, depending on the varicap used and
other factors. But first build the rig "stock" of course.
I have modified both my BITX20A and MKARS80 from Polyvaricon
tuning to Varicap/Ten Turn Pot tuning. A super simple mod
(3-4 parts and 20 minutes max) that you can find lots of places on the Net.
I'm sure that the Survivor will spawn a Users Group, if it hasn't already,
and I'm sure that group will have that mod as well as others.

I am very curious how the Survivor will compare against the
very similar RadioKits.UK MKARS80....a 75m SSB QRP monoband
kit rig (with a CW Adaptor Option) that is in the same class:
http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/mkars80page.html
I have the MKARS80 and like it very, very much, especially
the receiver.

Some of these monoband kit rigs are real eye openers.
The BITX20 has a now almost cult like following around the world.
Anyway, good luck with the Survivor and keep us posted.
TNX AGN es 73, Ken  AD6KA
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »

FYI - the kit arrived today! No delays. However it is a Christmas present, so no detailed reports until after.

de Ray ...-  .-
W7ASA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: