Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ops and the weather  (Read 3409 times)
N5GZH

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »

Problems come and go with our stations.  But lightning is in a class by itself. 

After fiddling on and off with ham radio for 30 years,  I'm still not sure when it's totally safe to operate.  Not all rain systems seem to contain lightning activity (although most here in Texas do).   And we have doppler radar nowadays as a guide.  Just wondering how many hams operate when it is cloudy and there is no obvious thunderstorm activity,  and who think it's  best to wait for clear skies.   

73's
Jim
N5GZH
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »

I operate all the time when it's cloudy and raining. I live in Northern California, where lightning storms are very rare (about one every 3-4 years).
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

There are commercial lightning detectors.  Also, there are sites like this:  http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Severe/Lightning.aspx which tell you where detected lightning strikes are.

I think the best practice is to use your gut and combine its intuition with good station grounding.  Even then a bolt out of the blue might fry you, but we all have to go some time.
N5GZH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »

ing.  Even then a bolt out of the blue might fry you, but we all have to go some time.

So true, hi.  Better to go that way than pushing the old lawnmower.  Wink

Thanks all for advice.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: