Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec 506 Rebel  (Read 4399 times)
F8WBD

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »

Anyone out there using this little guy as just a standard QRP CW rig? Looks interesting. I am thinking about it for basic 20M QRP CW use, not as an open-source device. Not immediately at any rate. I have read the description and realize it is "different".
W3KC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:19:35 PM »

Yes - I have been having fun using the basic (as delivered) Rebel as my primary QRP rig on 40 meters. I find it performs very well.

73 Chas W3KC
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »

Question, might it be possible to configure the Rebel for 30m coverage with hardware mods and open source programming or is it limited to 20/40m only?
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:10 AM »

Good question, JKA. I discovered a Rebel Yahoo group. They could probably supply the info you require. Encouraging to note W3KC is satisfied running his Rebel out-of-the-box as his primary 40M cw QRP rig. Looks like the Reb will be my next (last?) rig acquisition come this Spring.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »

Re: F8WBD
 Thanks for info. Yes I'm aware of the Yahoo group but since they have a group for everything I'm interested in I just got burnt out signing up for each one  Wink
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

I'd be interest in hearing from folks who have done some fiddling with the Arduino programming to get some handle on what kind of things one can do with it. Having looked at the specs I'd have to think that, as reported, it would be a good "out-of-the-box" rig. Until then my Argonaut 509 will sit happily in it's current position on the operating desk. Now waiting for the arrival of a digital frequency readout for that rig....

Doc WB0FDJ
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »

Re: WB0FDJ

A Few Arduino/Ham progects can be found in the Homebrew Forum under {Arduino Uno platform progects} back on 7,Sept.2013
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »

"my Argonaut 509 will sit happily in it's current position on the operating desk. Now waiting for the arrival of a digital frequency readout for that rig...."

Lucky guy! I had one when first introduced. Miss everything about it! A real desk-top rig. Won't fit in your shirt pocket.
WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:16 AM »

I have added a 20x4 LCD to mine and loaded/slightly modified a sketch called, "The Rebel Alliance Mod" which can be found in the yahoo group. It adds some great features: a basic keyer, LCD support, a beacon mode, and (with a little home brewing) software based band switching. It's a fun little rig.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »

F8WBD
I had one back in the day also. Traded it in to a dealer for an analog Argosy which I still have.
This summer, after almost a year of looking, found this one on ePay. It's in perfect condition, no mods at all. Runs like a champ and is about four times the size of my IC-703. Had to move stuff around the desk to fit it in. It still does a great job!

Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: