Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating abroad—how?  (Read 5355 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »

If you aren't used to retsina, (resinated wine) try a small glass before buying a bottle. It's something you either love or hate. Similarly with ouzo.
  "Resinated"?  Meaning "no reactance"?  I reacted quite severely when I first tried retsina.
Hmmm--then regular wine is non-resinant?  (sorry  Grin)

One of my best memories of ham radio is from 1993, operating in Singapore.  My host was "Mr. Nokia" for Singapore/SE Asia at that time, Simo Hoikka.  I had to use his call, of course, and whenever a station from Finland broke through the pileup, we switched places.  Finnish has its own language, and a LOT of letters with slashes, tildes, acute accents, circumfleces and such.  Simo and I ran a pretty good pileup on 15CW from about 1700-2000 local time, when the housekeeper announced that dinner was ready.

So there I was, an American, in Singapore, sitting down to dinner with a Finnish family (Simo, his wife and their two sons).  The dinner had been prepared by a Chinese-Malay cook, and it came to the table in a big silver dish.....some great made-from-scratch lasagna!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: