Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Could Only Have One QRP Rig  (Read 44633 times)
WE2F

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:48:11 AM »

Just for fun...
If you could only have one QRP rig, which one would you choose and why? There are no wrong answers, I just like to hear people favorites and the reasoning behind their choice.

Matt WE2F
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:38 AM »

That's an easy answer for me. I've got 2 favorites(CW), an MFJ Cub for portable and a K1 for home station that can't stand up to my type of portable ops. No difference in selectivity or the nice CW note in either one although I have a outboard Hi-perMite audio filter for each. You really can't go wrong with any of the QRP rigs of today regardless of cost since the whole QRP experience is completely dependent on your antenna and propagation knowledge. Refer to my last post in this Forum under QRP and SSB topic.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »

So the MFJ Cub is OK from a QA perspective?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

Re: WD4ELG

I have never had a problem with quality of enclosure/parts/pcb with my kit built Cubs and have 3  20/30/40/m. Metal enclosure is rugged, mine have been stepped on and dropped more than once and if they decide to go swimming which mine have also done they can be easily dried out in a campfire reflector oven or a toaster oven at home. I did put a 10 turn tune pot on my most used 20m Cub otherwise it's very fine finger tip tap tuning same as my SW-30+. Beware of the standard requirement if ordering a MFJ pre built kit which is always check for poor solder joints and retune from factory, my pre built 9020 and 9040 only needed touch up retuning, these are also tough excellent rigs but just a bit big for back pack QRP. I suspect you already know about the some times iffy QC with certain MFJ factory assembled products.
OH6I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »

Very interested question, Matt!

After long and careful research I choose Elecraft K2.
Two very important reasons for me because I living far away from U.S.A. was that I can fix it myshelf and very good support.

Other reasons:
It have very good receiver. My friend have both K2 and K3. When he compare K2 to K3 he feels that K2 have excellent receiver.
Mature product.
It is kit.
It is modular with lots of option.
Support 2m via transverter.
Size is perfect for my use in home or portable.
Made in U.S.A.

If I must choose second QRP rig it is... other K2 Smiley

Jari
OH6I

AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

Easy answer for me - the KX3 - it's a great performer, very versatile, portable enough for most things, yet more than capable as a home station.

That said, I've got a couple other QRP rigs I really wouldn't want to part with...

F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »

My answer would be the QRP rig I once had. 

That was the Ten-Tec Argonaut 515. The large size I prefer as I don't do portable. Good looking black cabinet. Minimum of controls, no menus or bells and whistles. Great TT QSK. Great, though un-filtered, receiver.

Wish I was looking at it now.

WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »

It would depend upon requirements and cost.  While k3 and kx3 are nifty I think the k2 is a better value and its a full kit in traditional sense.  Everyone has their favorite for single band kits - I prefer a superhet but I will operate a good dc receiver.  I have not used the latest argonaut but if you can find the prior one its a nice rig.  I am amazed folk want an hw8 when for about same price they could have one of the multiband rigs from Hendricks.  Do read thoughtful reviews and ask questions as needed.  73 curt
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »

Yaesu FT-817 since it also incudes HF, UHF and VHF.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »

I do have only one QRP rig - an Icom 703. 160 through 10m all modes, built in Tuner and keyer.
Only regret that it's inconvenient to have both key and paddles connected.
It's not a backpacking rig, but nice for outdoor demos, solar power, etc. Could be a home station primary rig if you have room for full sized dipoles. I bought a factory-built MFJ Cub, it was deaf. Took it back to HRO, tried two more, they were all deaf. Got a refund. Got the 703, it's not as tiny, but it just works, very nicely.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »

Re: KQ6Q reply #9

Just curious. When you tried the 3 Cubs did you pop the hood and give it the basic inspection and check out? As far as the 703 goes I've used my friends a few times and liked it also, it just doesn't fit my two diverse styles of QRP ops.
KD7TWI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 03:54:24 AM »

KX3 hands down.  Once you use one for a while and see how well it works, especially the noise reduction, antenna tuner, filters, its hard to use anything else.  The ears on the KX3 are amazing.  My other main rig, (not QRP) an Icom 746Pro is rarely used. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

For me it's the one that takes up the least amount of space....... since it would be seldom used.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »

Re: K8AXW

I like that Grin, that's why my IC-7200 is stowed away in the closet so I can have room enough on my desk for my K-1.
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »

Now that's a tough decision because I have two that I never want to part with; my Elecraft K2 and my Elecraft KX1, two different rigs for two different uses. On one hand my KX1 could fill in as my main rig in the shack if need be since it covers the bands I use most often but my K2 would make a very large and heavy trail unfriendly rig. On the other hand I spend way more time operating in the shack as opposed to in the field so giving up my K2's increased band coverage, receiver performance, features, etc would be tough. Change the question to "If You Could Only Have One Brand of QRP Rig" and my decision is easy. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: