Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Could Only Have One QRP Rig  (Read 67633 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

Other than band preference,I like my DSW Small Wonder Labs rig. Just wish they still made them.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »

I like to operate QRP portable. I've built, used and eventually sold my K2.. it's simply too big for what I want in a QRP rig. For me it would be the Elecraft KX-1. The battery consumption is low, it's tiny, its light weight, it has an internal AA battery pack (you can buy AA's just about ANYWHERE), it was fun to build, it performs well, it has a built in tuner, it has it's own paddles and works great with a simple long wire. Heck, Begali even makes paddles for it http://www.i2rtf.com/html/adventure.html. What's also nice is up to 4 bands you can have in it (Mine has 40,30,20...)
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »

Tough choices out there, and depends a LOT on budget and opertating style.

Pour moi.....I would say my K2...terrific receiver,many features,
low rcv current drain, optional built in battery, optional built in ATU,
can work on it myself, etc.

For just plain flat out fun from a minimalist ($100) rig:
My Small Wonder Labs PSK-20 (PSK kit rig...discontinued).
I've made hundreds and hundreds of contacts with that puppy,
many in the 1,000 miles/watt class.

I get it that some ops can't, or chose not to, build their
own QRP gear......but boy is it rewarding.
GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

"... only one BRAND of QRP rig..."  Moo-ha-ha!

KX3 - It's an impressive HF field-station-in-a-can.  A top notch receiver & a good compromise size for table top to mountain top. A CW dream machine that also does that 'funny mode' -hmmmm, what was it called - oh yeah "VOICE" (but I already have a cellphone for that.)    Grin

Second Choice:  My UpArmor KX1.

de Ray
W7ASA ..._  ._

I don't do VHF except during local severe weather.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »

Re: W7ASA

Your Wilderness/DDS VFO combo looks interesting, is the wiring hook up fairly basic? I would like to try this with an Aduino based DDS VFO on one of my MFJ 90 series 5 watt or SW-40+ 3 watt mono banders.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

Other than band preference,I like my DSW Small Wonder Labs rig. Just wish they still made them.

I managed to snag one of the DSW-20-II rigs before they became "unobtainium."  It's without a doubt one of the most incredible little transceivers ever created for QRP CW!!

No.... it isn't for sale!  Grin

Al - K8AXW

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »

W1JKA -

A.
If your rig's  VFO operates at the actual operational (transmit/receive)  frequency, you just substitute the output of the VFO and I'd inject it before the buffer transistor.  (though the DDS VFO is not likely to 'pull' off freq with loading like an analog VFO might. So, using the buffer stage might not be necessary, but I did it that way.)

B.  If your rig mixes a low frequency VFO with a crystal to make a higher or lower frequency you are also OK. The particular kit I used allows offset to be pre-programmed so that your dial displays the operational frequency which may be different from the actual VFO freq before injection to the mixer.  

Amazingly, I just used a capacitor from the junk box to inject the signal into one of the Sierra mixers (after disabling the analog VFO) and it came to life!

BTW - because of the broad tuning range of my DDS, nearby shortwave broadcast bands can be listened to by zero beating the AM signals.  Audio might be narrow on some rigs, but it's usable on the Sierra.

>>> Please post about your Arduino DDS.  I'd like to see how that works.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._  ._

Al - K8AXW said:   "I managed to snag one of the DSW-20-II rigs before ..."  

Ooooooh Al!  You REALLY know how to make a guy green with envy. By the time I noticed those, they 'went away'.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:53:18 PM by W7ASA » Logged
WE2F

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »

Wow! A lot of great answers. I guess I should answer my own question: so far, my favorite is my Hendrics PFR-3. I loved building it and fighting to get it aligned and now I love playing with it on the back deck or out in the field. That being said, this thread really has me leaning toward a KX1 or K1 or K2...you get the idea.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »

For general purpose QRP work my current favorite is the K2.  (Still have to get the carrier
set properly for SSB.)  More modern upgrade to replace the venerable HW-8 and the
Argonaut 505.  Have to see if I can reduce the phase noise for Field Day operation, however.

For backpacking the SW40+ (though mine is actually a home-built version of the 40-40.)
Less than 30mA on receive, fits in a pocket.  (Both the Argonaut and 505 have traveled
many miles in a backpack, but they're a bit bulky for serious backpacking.)

Lots of other options as well - all depends on your particular applications and preferences.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »

TT Argonaut VI....great RX and excellent audio that is easy on the ears. I do not have antennas for 12m and 6m so the fact that the Argonaut does not cover these bands is a non-issue.

Don KF7DS
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »

I managed to snag one of the DSW-20-II rigs before they became "unobtainium."  It's without a doubt one of the most incredible little transceivers ever created for QRP CW!!

No.... it isn't for sale!  Grin

Al - K8AXW

I think mine is the first version 20m rig,with the bright blue case. I like it alot,just wish I had the 40m version too. I had a chance to when I bought the 20m version,now I`m kicking myself... Cheesy
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:03 AM »

Re: W7ASA  reply #21

Google/Browser ( AD9850 DDS VFO) from AD7C blog. I just recently came across this and ordered parts for 3 about $30.00 for each, one for a VFO in my Johnson Adventurer, one for a homebrew ham band DC receiver I'm building and one for experimentation. C programming, Aduino libraries and AD7C's downloads simple enough that I can even handle it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »

Yaesu FT 817

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 07:51:03 AM »

Yaesu FT-301SD with all acessories that I've owned since 1978.
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

FT-817.
Reasons:
- it works
- proven, time-tested design
- reliable (especially ND model)
- it does EVERYTHING (all modes, all HF bands, VHF/UHF)
- self-contained - all else needed is an antenna and power supply
- compact (perfect for camping / backpacking)
- tons of options, yet simple to use if you stick to the basics
- impressive performance from such a small package - yes, there are other radios that excel in some characteristics, but the FT-817 does everything reasonably well
- popular and well-supported by a global company

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: