Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coax Jumpers  (Read 2304 times)
N6JSX

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »

What is the optimal coax length between components in a HF station, i.e. HF rig to HF Amp to LP Filter to Pwr Meter to Ant Tuner?

Why is the length optimal?

In all the station hook-up articles, I never read about jumpers and why's.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »

The optimal length is the length that fits. It should all be in a matched 50 Ohm system so length shouldn't matter from an electrical standpoint.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »

It may not seem that a difference of a foot or two would matter but I have seen where it changed everything.I was having SWR issues in an HF mobile setup many years ago.I was ask what the length of a jumper I had in line was & it was 3 feet.I switched to a four foot piece & the SWR was flat.Later I tried several lengths of jumpers & the 3 & 9 foot pieces both made the SWR appear bad but the lengths of 2,4,& 6 foot all were fine.Not sure why but I went with the 6 foot piece.It appears the system did not like odd numbers!  {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW 
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:08:49 PM »

Between components in the shack, as AA4PB said, the length that fits! If you're pressed for space behind the rigs, use Right-angle adapters to let the cables lie closer to the equipment. After the antenna tuner, you leave a few feet extra in case you need to move equipment. Also, if one of your antennas acts strange, add in an extra foot or two of feedline in the shack, with a jumper and a barrel connector. If you have multiple HF Antennas, a remote antenna switch can be a good investment - I prefer the kind with a separate control cable - Ameritron RCS-8V for 5 ports, or the RCS 10V for 8 ports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: