Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: these shortcuts  (Read 5479 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:41:57 AM »

There seems to be no website that explains what these silly reporting shortcuts are: n for 9 or a for 1, but what about T?
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:09:53 AM »

There seems to be no website that explains what these silly reporting shortcuts are: n for 9 or a for 1, but what about T?

There are tons of websites which explain these smart shortcuts:

http://ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#AB

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »

These are called "cut numbers".

In actuality, the only ones you really need to worry about are "N" for 9, "T" for 0 and "A" for 1.

So a typical signal report on CW would be 5NN for 599 and power would be 1TT for 100 watts.
K2JF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:24:03 AM »

many thanks Scott.. now back to the 10 meter contest!
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:35:47 AM »

Well, you will also unfortunately get the occasional "dit" for 5 - as in dit  dah dit  dah dit  for 599.

I always wonder if anyone is logging me as K309.

John K3TN

John K3TN
K2JF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:02:41 AM »

I just wonder how many other people don't know about these shortcuts. On the ARRL 10 meter contest I found plenty of people sending full code and not doing these shortcuts.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »

I do not want to hijackthis thread but...

I think the reason you don't hear cut numbers being used is because there seems to be more and more people using CW just like it was just another one of the digital modes (and lets not start into that debate either!) using their computer for sending and receiving.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »

Another interesting trend is the use of logging software (both contesting, like N1MM, and general purpose, like HRD or DXLab) to send contest exchanges for both CW and RTTY. This has lead to folks using 5NN for RST reports even on RTTY, which I think actually takes longer than sending 599 because of the additional numbers/letters shift...

John K3TN
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:30 AM »

I do not want to hijackthis thread but...

I think the reason you don't hear cut numbers being used is because there seems to be more and more people using CW just like it was just another one of the digital modes (and lets not start into that debate either!) using their computer for sending and receiving.

I don't think it's really hijacking. I think it's an interesting discussion.

I also feel that cut number usage has declined in recent years.

Note that in really exchange-critical contests... e.g. NA Sprint, CW Sweepstakes ... the exchanges were never sent with cut numbers. Cut numbers are real disasters in complex exchanges like these, and anyone who tries to use them quickly learned that TN and 09 are both important parts of the exchange and cutting 09 to TN aka Tenesee is a big mistake. Leading zeroes are also strongly disfavored in these exchanges, because they contribute NOTHING to copyability.

I feel that cut number usage has declined because folks are now focusing on a correctly copied exchange, rather than pure rate rate rate at all costs. Many are finding that getting the exchange across correctly the first time, sure beats sending multiple fills using cut numbers in marginal conditions.

There are still "rate rate rate" holdouts who insist on using cut numbers all the time. e.g. Euro contest stations who send "ENN AE" instead of "5NN 15". (Not mentioned previously in the thread... the most extreme cut number users, replace 5 with E).

I also find that most stations are ID'ing better in contests too, the past couple years, and the insane CW speed changeups that the worst were using, well now only the worst stations use them. Most stations use more moderate rate changeups or none at all. And CW signal quality is better too - there's only a couple Euro megastations left that I can identify purely by their keying defects :-)

Working contesting newbies becomes more and more important as QSO numbers for a weekend get above 2000, where "working deep" to poorly equipped or poorly experienced stations especially late in the contest, becomes an increasing fraction of Q's made in the test. Remember, you and me were newbies once too :-)

Tim
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:51:26 AM by N3QE » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 03:54:56 AM »

Another interesting trend is the use of logging software (both contesting, like N1MM, and general purpose, like HRD or DXLab) to send contest exchanges for both CW and RTTY. This has lead to folks using 5NN for RST reports even on RTTY, which I think actually takes longer than sending 599 because of the additional numbers/letters shift...

In addition to your correct observation... the RTTY contest exchanges many euro stations use, are filled with excessive num to fig and fig to num transitions and truly excessive pretty-punctuation. I think these are canned exchanges distributed amongst the euro digital mode contesters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: