Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-discovering the joy of radio through QRP/p at home.  (Read 2474 times)
K0EWS

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »

I set up a portable station in my bedroom. A K-1 sits on my nightstand, powered by a battery, and uses an end fed wire tossed from a second story window, with a counterpoise along the baseboard of the room. That little setup has yielded contacts in South America, Europe, and here in the states. It's not my main shack or rig, but every QSO is fun, and I still get a sense of accomplishment and wonder from just making QSOs. Portable ops in the Summer from the yard or a park are a blast. In the Winter? I'd never considered operating portable in my own home. However, I'm glad I did!
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »

Winter?  Maybe I'll set up a portable rig in by the fireplace...
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »

Re: WB6BYU

Ayuh, winter in Maine right now ( -2* F) and My K-1 also likes its winter perch on the end of the work bench about 4 ft. away from the wood stove out here in the woodshop.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »

Thanks for posting.  You present a fine word picture of snug winter hamming at home.

I used to go snow caving and other things in the Rockies, but now that I'm not quite as hearty, these thoughts make me look at the woodstove on our porch as a great place for a second radio station.  In winter, I sit out there reading, building projects & watching the weather blow through, with some good, aged oak burning in the stove. So, perhaps it's time to go erect a quick dipole and run the feedline onto the table by the stove. Maybe I can talk with some of the SOTA and FYBO guys who are still out in it!

Thanks for posting & "SEE" You on the Radio!

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:47:51 AM by W7ASA » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »

Agreed on the fun of QRP/p.  I have an FT817ND hooked to a Miracle Whip and a counterpoise, doing WSJT and WSPR on 17 meters 2.5 watts.  Also have a second FT817ND to an end fed 30 meter half wave out the attic vent, doing WSJT and WSPR on 30 meters at 0.5 watts.  TS480SAT at 5 watts and an AlphaLoop in the home shack, doing WSPR and WSJT on 20 meters.  Amazing who I can hear and who can hear me with these weak signal modes.  Exciting.
KE2EE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »

Good idea- I have been thinking of running my K-1 in a second floor bedroom because the basement shack
( unheated ) is now about 55 F. You didn't say what band you ran, 20m ?
Last winter we had a several hour power outage on a Saturday and I ran my K-1 off a gel battery and station dipole. WOW- the noise level was way down ( of course the local neighborhood RFI generators were all off, including any powerline noise) and I had a good time on CW. The storm and power outage were also a good topic for rag chewing. Thanks for the idea.

Mike  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:30:59 PM by KE2EE » Logged
K0EWS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »

My shack is also in the basement and it gets chilly this time of year, so the upstairs bedroom portable shack is certainly warmer! I have a 4 band K-1 I'm using, and I've made contacts on 40, 20, and 15 meters. The wire is probably 30 feet or so, and works remarkably well. The auto-tuner in the K-1 doesn't seem to have any problem at all matching the wire on any of the bands. And, making QSOs is really much easier than I thought it would be. Of course, most portable ops I've done have been with end fed wires, or with dipoles, and the rig has been a ground level. Now, with the rig being 20+ feet above the ground, even with an end fed wire and a single counterpoise, the signal really seems to get out. I'm not going to bust any pileups with this setup, but I do get answers when I call stations.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »

Amazing the similar experiences! When between homes several years ago, my XYL and I were staying in her sister's  second-floor room and I kept the K1 and the Bencher paddle out storage.  The K1 ATU did a great job matching a random-wire dipole spread around the room on the tops of pictures and curtain rods.  And the DX was amazing, along with casual CW chats and contesting…!

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night nor lack of power or lack of antenna stays these amateurs from their trusty K1s!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: