Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HamWorld - a new social network for hams  (Read 5265 times)
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:14:54 AM »

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about creating a place for hams all around the world on the Internet and I started working on a social network-type project. I've created it. Feel free to register, try all features of it and share it among other hams. It's amazing place for all hams. HamWorld has over 100 users, you can be next!
I hope you'll like HamWorld Smiley

Address of HamWorld is http://hamworld.net/

Enjoy HamWorld!

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »

I think you should apply for a new call sign.  Instead of SP8HMZ, how about SPAMZ
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about creating a place for hams all around the world on the Internet ...

You mean like this forum LOL?

SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 04:23:18 AM »

It's not a spam.I want to inform hams about creating new page. Trust me, a lot of hams want to be part of HamWorld but they don't know about it.

N5INP - No. HamWorld is a social network, not a forum. I invite you to register and try this. You'll see that HamWorld is another website with another goal.

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:05:18 AM »

Social network for Hams??. Might be a big hit if it has an on line dating section for all those YLs who have  registered.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:44:12 AM »

I don't mean to offend, but from looking at the site, I don't see any benefit to joining. The news feed is full of stuff that's not particularly interesting and so, it looks like it has a very low signal to noise ratio. The intro page is in a foreign (to me) language which makes me a little nervous, wondering if this is a real site or a phishing site.

But mostly, it's the dearth of content that turns me off. Contrast that with eHam.net, for example which has lots of content about lots of topics. I come here (more often than I should, perhaps), because there's there's the right mix of information and entertainment, with just a dash of occasional drama. There's an interesting mix of curious newbies, curmudgeonly old farts, people who seem to know what they are talking about and people who just seem to think they know what they are talking about. (I'm not sure where I'd place myself on that spectrum Smiley ). But it all boils down to content--lots of interesting content.

If you want your site to start taking off, it needs content--something to get the conversation rolling. It's like at a party where no one dances until someone is on the dance floor (and there's some danceable music). Your site needs someone or a small group to start the conversations and provide the content that attracts more content. You might need to reach out to some experts or at least a few interesting writers and make it worth their while to get the ball rolling, but as it is, just seeing a news feed of "so-and-so just signed up" isn't much of a draw.

Good luck! Launching a new site is a lot of work.
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »

But mostly, it's the dearth of content that turns me off.
Yes, but I must have more users to make it more interesting. It's so simple.

On eham.net I see a lot of new topics, but look on count of registered users. I started to develop HamWorld 3 weeks ago and I have over 130 users now. eHam was created few years ago, so...

If you want your site to start taking off, it needs content--something to get the conversation rolling. It's like at a party where no one dances until someone is on the dance floor (and there's some danceable music). Your site needs someone or a small group to start the conversations and provide the content that attracts more content. You might need to reach out to some experts or at least a few interesting writers and make it worth their while to get the ball rolling, but as it is, just seeing a news feed of "so-and-so just signed up" isn't much of a draw.

It's true, but when I will have more users, all posts will be comment probably. It's simple - small count of users = small count of content .
So, I hope that people will register on HamWorld to make it more interesting. It's our goal.

And thanks for tips, of course Smiley

Social network for Hams??. Might be a big hit if it has an on line dating section for all those YLs who have  registered.
W1JKA - really? Grin It's not a problem for me. Find more users interesting in this, then I'll add this feature Grin

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »

Karol,

How many of the >1 billion facebook users are active and contribute real content? When you have that answer, you will have an idea of what you'll need to make your site buzz. It is so simple, but yet so hard...

For me to get excited, I would like to know from you where you see the difference between your site and eHam. Why would I benefit from going with you and dropping eHam? I don't have unlimited time, so I can't do both. (In this context, it might be considered unethical to advertise here for a competitive product, trying to lure away members).

Good luck with your baby,

Arno K7RNO

PS: FTR, I am not a member of any "social network" due to lack of time. I do peruse a few fora that specifically cater to my interests.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »

Thanks Arno for your post.

So,
HamWorld isn't a forum. It has another goals, including making new ham-friends or find your known friends. You can write a personal blog and it looks and works better then topic on forum. You can add video and photos and quickly watch them, comment, rate, etc. You can add yourself to groups or create your own group. You have newsfeed like in Facebook - texts are quickly to read. Do you want to have more assets?

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »

Thanks Karol, that is enough information. It confirms that I want a forum, not a social network.

Cheers!  Smiley

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »

OK, no problem. Now you know what is better for you Wink

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »

Well, I kind of knew that before  Wink

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »

Smiley
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »

So, I hope that people will register on HamWorld to make it more interesting. It's our goal.

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld

No, your goal is to get more hits so you can get advertising money.  If it was that interesting, your 130+  members would be on sites like this telling us how great it is. Plus sites like your become targets of data miners - which you may already be for all I know - who turn that data over to spammers.

Like I said, you need a call sign change.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »

No. HamWorld is a social network, not a forum. I invite you to register and try this.

Do you mean our social network isn't our radios? I already registered with the FCC for this social network.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: