Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HamWorld - a new social network for hams  (Read 5053 times)
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »

WI8P - you are wrong. There is no advertisment - HamWorld is 'clean'. I don't get any money from HamWorld. My goal is connecting hams in Internet and giving a chance to write, comment, like, etc. I hope that you understand this.
If you don't want to have an account on HamWorld - no problem but don't tell me that I should change my callsign.

K7MEM - Yes, our hobby is a big social network, but Internet helps in amateur radio. HamWorld is supplement to ham radio.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »

On eham.net I see a lot of new topics, but look on count of registered users. I started to develop HamWorld 3 weeks ago and I have over 130 users now. eHam was created few years ago, so...

So... how many "registered users" do you think eHam has?

SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »

I have no idea Wink Maybe around 10,000 users or more?
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »

WI8P - you are wrong. There is no advertisment - HamWorld is 'clean'. I don't get any money from HamWorld. My goal is connecting hams in Internet and giving a chance to write, comment, like, etc. I hope that you understand this.
If you don't want to have an account on HamWorld - no problem but don't tell me that I should change my callsign.

K7MEM - Yes, our hobby is a big social network, but Internet helps in amateur radio. HamWorld is supplement to ham radio.

Clean for now. Maybe because no one wants to advertise on a site with only 140 members.  Notice you also skipped the data mining issue. I don't see anything there that is lacking here.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

IMO, what's missing is a reason to visit, let alone join. Just to see the names of other people who happen to be hams isn't enough--and there are already many other places to do that. There needs to be a compelling attraction. Some things might be: tips and tricks (e.g. K0BG.com), Ham-related resources (Eham.net, QRZ.com), News feed of ham topics (google news), etc. But, even without studying the issue I can see it's a crowded field from which to stand out.
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »

W8IP - I don't plan adding advertisment on HamWorld. That's all.
You said about data minning issue. I use watchdogs and antivirus plugins, so HamWorld is safe.

K7RBW, you are right. I will write more interesting informations, questions, etc. on HamWorld. I hope that users will be active too.

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »

How about deleting / locking this thread already?
SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 04:40:02 AM »

Why? In my opinion this thread doesn’t break the rules of this forum.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 05:09:18 AM »

Re: SP8HMZ

Hmm let's see, to date 899 readers of your direct niche marketing approach here on eHam. You can figure at least 25% of those have checked in twice, say 674 targeted so simply take the percentage of these who have registered on your site so far (if any) and you will get a good idea of the future viability of your site.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 05:23:31 AM »

I've been thinking about creating a place for hams all around the world on the Internet and I started working on a social network-type project. I've created it. Feel free to register, try all features of it and share it among other hams. It's amazing place for all hams. HamWorld has over 100 users, you can be next!
I hope you'll like HamWorld Smiley

Address of HamWorld is http://hamworld.net/

I doubt it's going to fly, but all you can do is try it. You'll find out soon enough whether it will succeed or fail.

SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »

No, register and be part of HamWorld! First you could take a look on HamWorld and, if you like it, sign up and write, comment, like, share, etc.
KF5ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 09:03:18 AM »

I know how SP8HMZ feels. Starting any website where people contribute to the content is quite difficult. I already posted the link to my forum which is just in its infancy. I accidently posted two topics on here about it...so if any of you noticed, please accept my apology for the duplication.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I think with the advent of Facebook, any new website, specifically social networking oriented ones, it will be difficult to compete. Personally, I think forums are a better alternative to social networking when it comes to discussion. I mean, who would you rather have controlling the content, Facebook goons, or a fellow ham? That's why eham is so nice. It's also nice to have options. And even running my own forum, eham.net will always be an option for me to turn to. So when it comes to your social network, I wish you all the best. I may head on over there and see what it has to offer.

SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »

Jason, thank you very much. I'm happy that you know that developing a website, especially a social network, is very difficult. That's true, of course. Starting to develop this is the hardest.

Thanks for tips and your opinion. Facebook is good, but HamWorld should be better, becouse it was made especially for hams. And admin (me) is ham, like on eHam. Next, HamWorld has another features, like possibility to write personal blog or creating one big set of photos and videos.

I may head on over there and see what it has to offer.
I invite you to register, of course. Smiley

Karol SP8HMZ
admin of HamWorld
KF5ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »

I'm unable to do so at this time. Link is blocked at my current location.

SP8HMZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »

It's strange. You could try later.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: