Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Excel default  (Read 7751 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »

Wonder if anyone could steer me to how to change the default worksheet that opens in Excel (2002)/XP.  I'd like it to start with 150% size.  I also wonder if I can save the cell format in each column?  I've been trying the Excel help, but not getting anywhere with it, confusing to me.

I do have the Win7 Excel version available, but not sure if it will work on my XP.  But I may be changing to Win7 if they stop supporting XP.  The Win7 versions require a new learning curve too.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »

Office XP is pretty primitive as excel goes. If you have a newer version like office 2007 or 2010 I would suggest you use it. I use 2007 myself and 2013 on tablet. It will work with XP but as you know XP is loosing all support in a few months.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »

Well, maybe I'll try to load up the Win7 version and see what happens. It's just so icon driven instead of the menus, but maybe I can change it.  Yeah, I noticed the 2002 version had real limitations, it wouldn't deal with a days worth of seconds (86400 points).  It seems to cut off at somewhere around 30,000 points.  I'll deal with it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »

Well, maybe I'll try to load up the Win7 version and see what happens. It's just so icon driven instead of the menus, but maybe I can change it.  Yeah, I noticed the 2002 version had real limitations, it wouldn't deal with a days worth of seconds (86400 points).  It seems to cut off at somewhere around 30,000 points.  I'll deal with it.

Office 2003 was kinda the start of it evolving and 2007 was a big upgrade.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »

Actually what I thought was Win7 is  Office 2010, so I'm loading that up now.  We'll see if I can figure it out.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »

The Excel 2010 seems to be working with my XP, but I still need to figure out how to start a worksheet with default 150% view size and with columns A and B with default text and numbers to 6 decimals.

Of course I've got 450MB of updates to do and I have to be careful with my download limits with hughes.net.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:07:43 AM »

You need to create a new work book at desired zoom and then all documents in that book will share zoom. You cannot change default zoom on a existing document.

N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:41:39 AM »

So are you saying I cannot start Excel with a zoom of 150%, it will always start at 100%?  Maybe I can change the default font size so the cells are larger, that's what I'm getting at, I want the font larger so I can read it with my presbyopia (old man's eyes).  I'll experiment around a bit.

It also appears that installing Office 2010 has wiped out my Word 2002, I guess I need to install Word 2010 also.  Ugh, I don't know why we always have to learn something new to do the same thing.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »

So are you saying I cannot start Excel with a zoom of 150%, it will always start at 100%?  Maybe I can change the default font size so the cells are larger, that's what I'm getting at, I want the font larger so I can read it with my presbyopia (old man's eyes).  I'll experiment around a bit.

It also appears that installing Office 2010 has wiped out my Word 2002, I guess I need to install Word 2010 also.  Ugh, I don't know why we always have to learn something new to do the same thing.

No I am saying when you start a new workbook that your spreadsheets are part of you set zoom and then save workbook and everything it will be zoomed the same by default. You cannot change the default zoom of a existing workbook and its files.

N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »

No I am saying when you start a new workbook that your spreadsheets are part of you set zoom and then save workbook and everything it will be zoomed the same by default. You cannot change the default zoom of a existing workbook and its files.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot parse that first sentence.  Anyhow, I've discovered I can save a blank worksheet with most of the items the way I want it and call it up, so I think that's about as good as I can get.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 06:09:54 AM »

Dump MickeySoft and get Open Office or Libre Office... F R E E !
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »

Well, I tell you I've been dissapointed ever since I had to get rid of Word Perfect.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 07:26:51 AM »

I don't know if it capture zoom setting, but you can create a template, the set that template as default.  There is some info at this link for Excel 2003 (other versions are probably similar):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/customize-how-excel-starts-HP005199391.aspx
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »

A template is used to create a workbook or style on which pages in it are based. It will save zoom.

N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 06:16:21 AM »

That explained it perfectly YKA.  I now have it starting with the things I want when I click on Excel in the taskbar.  Now if I could get it to import directly from a txt file in that format.  When I 'open a txt file in Excel' it defaults back to the standard format.  But if I open Excel with the new book format, it's a long process to find the file and open as a txt file.

I suppose Word is the same way, I hate the format it starts in.

We'll keep working at it.

Merry Christmas all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: