Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a 5 pin plug for an Argonaut 509  (Read 2173 times)
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »

This is a shot in the dark.

I was lucky enough to find a model 208 CW filter for my little Argo. In checking out the plug I found that the active wires, going to and from the filter, weren't even attached to the little 5 pin plug that goes on the back of the radio. Instead, for reasons that defy logic, some fool had soldered the ground wire (which is coax braid) into three of the plug pins and literally filled the pins up to the top with solder. Try as I may I can't get all the solder out. I have some ideas about how to fix that but figured that if I have a fresh plug I could get it re-wired. Just heard from Ten Tec and they no longer have any of the plugs.

So anyone ever run across a source for these? A little like looking for hens teeth......... Cheesy

Doc WB0FDJ
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »

Can you describe it or post a photo?  I have the 505, and it has phono plugs if one wants
to wire in a filter.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:58:23 AM »

The best method to repair existing 5-pin socket is to remove socket assembly from radio --
so you have Full-Access to the pins for repair.
You expand your DIY Repair skills by hours spent on the bench and new challenges in repairs
Good QUALITY Bench Tools and Dexterity/Soldering skills -- make all the difference in this level of work.

Good lighting
Small vise (like Pana-Vise) to holder socket assembly (third hand)
Solder Wick, I prefer American Beauty Dri-Wick (.098"/.093" or .130" for this usage)
https://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/Accessories

Allied Electronics is a distributor for American Beauty Dri-Wick
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?dsNav=N:4294879792-4294880131-4294966762-4294965409

Open up solder wick in order to "draw out" more solder from inside the pins.
Liquid solder flux helps with poor quality solders or no-clean versions with low flux formulations.
Sewing needles can help in "opening up" the pin.

A desoldering iron could be used, but are not always effective in this type of work.

BEST, Inc. Soldering / Desoldering Videos (TIPS, not full instructional videos)
http://youtu.be/G14rFgAfwXk
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:09:44 AM by W9GB » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

BTW, Argonaut information and parts contact: Earl Andrews, VE3AB in Ontario, Canada

PLUG IN CIRCUIT BOARDS, like the TenTec Argonaut 509 final output, are my specialty.
I have quite a few spares for low power radios such as the older Argonauts.
I can match the FINAL TRANSISTORS with my HFE test jig.  --Earl, VE3AB

http://www.hamelectronicsmagazine.com/repairs.html
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »

WB6BYU: description of pin. Round, black base about 1" in diameter, has 5 different small metal pins protruding from the base. These are found on the 509 (and probably other Argo's) in the back. I have a "dummy plug" which plugs into the socket and has a built in jumper between pins 3&4 (I think.).

W9GB: thanks you for the tips. I am actually thinking about taking a really small drill bit and running it through the pin to drill out the old solder, then follow with the iron. The sewing needle idea has real merit.

Thanks to all for ideas. Have a great holiday season.

WB0FDJ Doc
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »

Use the solder wick and then use a small drill bit, as mentioned liquid flux helps with old or poor quality solders.  A "pin vise" is a small handle with a set of small dia. bits you can find at the hardware store.  I just cleared an 11 pin "octal socket" on a Heathkit HP-23b power supply this way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: