Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent TP-1 or Begali Simplex?  (Read 6771 times)
W7KKK

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »

I currently have the TP-1 and just picked of the "professional" version of the simplex used and it will be here with mailing in about a week I guess.
Anyone used both keys? Just curious as to what you think.
Just getting involved the CW again myself.
I will try the Begali and measure it against the TP-1 and get rid of one or the other.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »

I had been using a TP-1 for years, but I felt all that money burning a hole in my pocket. The Begali got great reviews, and sure was SHINY!! So I bought he Simplex and used it exclusively for a month or so. I TRIED to love it, I really did. She sure was purty, but alas it was only beauty. I hated the key and sold it and only lost $50 or so for my wasted time.

I know lots of people love the Begali. But is is hard NOT to like something you spend so much money on. At QRQ speed the Begali gives an extra dit. I saw it, and others have too. Read the reviews on he Simplex and the Mono; same problem of positioning of the "pivot point" of the paddle. Regardless, I still have my Kent and love it. I hate to say it, but save your money. I am sad the Begali looked like a beuty but was a dog to send with but my Kent looked like a dog but sent like a beauty.

Let the flames begin!

Paul
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:24:39 AM »

ps.

]It was K6LQ who reported to problem in his review for the Simplex Mono on eHam. I had the same problem in the "regular" simplex (as did K0RS).

paul
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »

I would not bother with a Begali Simplex with its  spongy spring  tension. Its a terrible key in my opinion. Its just a mushy key for me  that drifts with temperature variation.
The spring tension  adjustment range is just too small. Its either too hard or too soft for very high speed CW or general CW for that matter.

I have bother a  Simplex and Simplex mono and frankly a Bencher paddle is much better key.

I would recommend you try the  N0SA paddle Its heads and shoulders above the cheaper Begali paddles. A good trick with the N0SA paddles is to turn the finger pieces upside down. It gives you more area to hit  and you dont feel so cramped in with the low finger pieces. Anyway its a nice bargain key for what you get. Its feel is virtually the same as my Begali Sculpture which costs a fortune.

I have a Kent paddle as well but again the N0SA is  heads and shoulders above it.  The only key I dont have is a K3ZN which I will order at some time.

W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »

Today the used Begali Simplex Pro wondered in used from the seller after many delays over the holidays
I made a couple of quick adjustments and really like the feel of it.
The Kent TP-1 I had is better than the BY-1 it replaced but the Simplex is far ahead of the Kent in the feel for me.
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference as stated.
VE2ENB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:20 AM »

Begali sending extra dits?
Possible with spring return. But with magnetic return, you just have to add a litte more attraction on the (dah) paddle and the problem is solved.
If you are new to QRQ (+50) well add more contact spacing till you are ok.

A well set Begali does not make errors, Impossible to find more precision on a paddle, but the opr can.

Practice, adjusting and more practice at QRQ will improve your sending.

GL Gil VE2ENB
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:27 AM »

I just got the TP-1 I ordered from DX Engineering. Pretty good value for $165. Nice action and certainly substantial compared to the W5JH Black Widow kit I've been using. But I am disappointed in some of the craftsmanship. The brass bearing block has all the machine marks from the saw, cnc, whatever. The factory could have taken a few minutes to knock all those off with some sanding. I guess when the untreated brass starts to discolor, I'll take it apart, polish, and seal the untreated parts.

vy 73,
Dave N4KD
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »

I have owned both for a few years. No contest, the Kent TP-1 is a much better paddle.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:05 AM »

Quote from: N4KD
I am disappointed in some of the craftsmanship.
The brass bearing block has all the machine marks from the saw, cnc, whatever.
That must be a new issue.

When I purchased my TP-1 Twin Paddle as a KIT from Kent Engineers (UK) two decades ago ... (~ $110)
the quality and craftsmanship was very good.
Alpha-Delta (KY) was their US distributor, at that time.
Kent's UK staff immediately responded to queries and replacing one missing part from the kit.

Finger spacing between paddles was my deciding factor, versus the Vibroplex Iambic.

w9gb
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 05:25:52 AM by W9GB » Logged
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »

I ordered my Kent double paddle kit from them direct Date : 29 Jan 2014 - 09:32 Shipping is normally within 14 days.

It has not arrived, and the emails I have sent asking for a shipping date/tracking number are both unanswered.

Starting to feel like I should not have bothered.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »

Opinions are very personal but you also have to read between the lines.

It seems that many hams purchase their paddles for display rather than for sending code. For many years I shot competitive skeet. Many casual skeet, trap or sporting clays shooters would purchased a $20,000 a German Krieghoff K-80 or an Italian Perazzi  for the looks or just because it was expensive but they could not shoot their way out of a paper bag. The serious competitor purchased a quality shotgun and had it fitted to his/her body configurations. I'm also an avid cyclist. Many in this hobby purchase a $15,000 bike but are too fat or out of shape to ride more than a couple of miles but they buy it because they can. The serious rider has his/her bike fitted to their body configuration so they can ride 50-100 miles a day.

Same thing here. Quite a few can't send cw if their life depended on it but always go for the pretty and expensive paddles because they look good on the desk and they can afford it. With this said, for just sending cw, Kent has designed a much better paddle than the Begali Simplex. If cw is not your thing but in your mind you want to believe it is, buy a Begali.

While looking for "The Paddle," I purchased quite a few. I still own 15 paddles of which 12 I enjoy looking at. The Begali is there for looks. The three working paddles are the N3ZN SN-SL single lever, the N3ZN ZN-9A iambic and the Kent TP-1.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 05:31:56 AM »

Re: WY4J

Only personal opinions is correct and the only value is to those who state them. I have no opinion on either key, just an observation that my old Navy flameproof also makes a dit and dah.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »

I have used the TP-1 extensively while being guest op at various stations, but I prefer and own the Begali Simplex.

My least favorite key by far, that I am most likely to encounter while being guest op, is the Bencher BY-1.

All the above, just my opinion :-).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: