Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you take the General test immediately after taking the Technician one?  (Read 10633 times)
KD0YSX

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

Hi,

Planning on taking the test for my Technician license in the early part of January.

I fully intend to get my General as soon thereafter as possible.

I am studying for both tests.

I am wondering, if I make advance arrangements with the Examiner, could I take the General test immediately after passing the Technician test, as I hope will be the case? Or must there be a waiting period, or must the testing happen in separate sessions?

thanks,

KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »

You CAN take the General and even the EXTRA all in one sitting as long as you keep passing.  And, you can do all this for just ONE FEE....as long as you keep passing at that session. 

Tom, KR4BD
VE for ARRL, W5YI & WCARS
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »

Yes. Because they grade the test as soon as you turn it in, you can take the ham license tests sequentially in a single session. That is how I did it. And, as KR4BD says, there is usually only a single fee.

I took the Technician and General tests in a single session and the Advanced and Extra in another single session. Each session cost me $8.45. However, that was some time ago and yours will probably be more. My testing included the 13 and 20 WPM Morse code tests, but you don't have to worry about those any more.

What I didn't realize is that the licenses are processed by the FCC sequentially, even though they are submitted at the same time. What I mean is that, instead of just issuing me a General and skipping the Technician, they first processed and issued the Technician, and then two weeks later the General. Same with the Advanced and Extra. The Advanced was processed and issued first, and then two weeks later the Extra license was processed.

Overall I found working with the VEs very enjoyable. A great group to work with.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »

Absolutely.  Its what I did. Extra was going to require a bit of study, so I waited on that one.  Make sure you let the testers know ahead of time that you would like to take both.  It may require a different set of examiners (i.e. if you plan to take the General test, all of the examiners have to be Extra class.  If you are just taking the Tech, then the examiners can be General class.)

Geof
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they asked you if you wanted to take the General test after passing the Technician test.

I have been a VE for almost 20 years and every testing team I have been a part of has consisted entirely of Extras, so it would be extremely rare if you ran into a team that had General Class examiners.
K5WLY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »

I am a VE and we always try to get anyone who passes Technician to try General.  A few months ago, had a guy go from Tech to Extra in one session.  Missed only one question out of all three tests, and it was on General.
KD0YSX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »

Thanks everybody! I have a lot of studying to do.

Maybe the challenge will help me hold off dementia a little while longer... keep the old brain cells moving around.  Grin
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »

Thanks everybody! I have a lot of studying to do.
Maybe the challenge will help me hold off dementia a little while longer... keep the old brain cells moving around.  Grin
A good way to think about it is that we are always learning. There really should not be only definite periods where we are expanding our interests, knowledge and taking on new challenges.

I had an epiphany about that while I was in university. Going into electrical engineering meant that I was committing to a lifetime of learning just to keep my skills current. Now, 30 years later I am still learning something new every day and pushing the boundaries just a little further.

Becoming a radio amateur you should be constantly trying to learn new things and trying different things out. Being able to use a microphone or a key to communicate with people is just part of the adventure.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »

What I didn't realize is that the licenses are processed by the FCC sequentially, even though they are submitted at the same time. What I mean is that, instead of just issuing me a General and skipping the Technician, they first processed and issued the Technician, and then two weeks later the General. Same with the Advanced and Extra. The Advanced was processed and issued first, and then two weeks later the Extra license was processed.

Maybe it was done that way at one time, or by one VEC, but it certainly isn't done that way today, at least not by VE groups affiliated with the ARRL VEC.  When someone takes and passes multiple exams, we issue the candidate a CSCE for the highest license earned, and file paperwork to that effect with the ARRL.  That license is granted, period; there's no stair-stepping.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »

I would recommend taking a shot at the General if you pass the Tech. There is a lot of overlap between the two - the rules and regs portions are basically the same - and if you do it when it's still fresh in your mind, you may pass. Be sure you know the General band assignments and the circuits for the different types of rectifiers - those are the ones that seem to trip my Tech students up on the General.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »

Maybe it was done that way at one time, or by one VEC, but it certainly isn't done that way today, at least not by VE groups affiliated with the ARRL VEC.  When someone takes and passes multiple exams, we issue the candidate a CSCE for the highest license earned, and file paperwork to that effect with the ARRL.  That license is granted, period; there's no stair-stepping.

I don't doubt that the VEC process has changed over the years and along with it, the CSCE's. Below is a link to the ARRL VEC group that I tested through.

http://wb7tjd.org/ve/DeVry.html

However, I really did not say the VE processes them sequentially. I said the FCC did. I still have all of the CSCEs that were generated from my tests. For each session there were three. Four for the written tests and two for the CW test. The Tech and General were processed on the same day by the VE and both were sent to the FCC at the same time. But I first received a new license for Tech and then two weeks later the General license came in. The same sequence happened with my Advanced and Extra. Overall I have six separate CSCEs and four separate licenses. Five if you count my Novice license, but that was a separate issue.

If you know where to look, you can still see the issue dates in the ULS.

Say a candidate goes in and take the Tech exam one month, and then takes the General and Extra 6 months later. Are both tests indicated on the same CSCE? On the CSCEs that I have, there is a place to mark all of the tests, but they didn't do it.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »

I don't doubt that the VEC process has changed over the years and along with it, the CSCE's. Below is a link to the ARRL VEC group that I tested through.

http://wb7tjd.org/ve/DeVry.html

However, I really did not say the VE processes them sequentially. I said the FCC did. I still have all of the CSCEs that were generated from my tests. For each session there were three. Four for the written tests and two for the CW test. The Tech and General were processed on the same day by the VE and both were sent to the FCC at the same time. But I first received a new license for Tech and then two weeks later the General license came in. The same sequence happened with my Advanced and Extra. Overall I have six separate CSCEs and four separate licenses. Five if you count my Novice license, but that was a separate issue.

If you know where to look, you can still see the issue dates in the ULS.

Say a candidate goes in and take the Tech exam one month, and then takes the General and Extra 6 months later. Are both tests indicated on the same CSCE? On the CSCEs that I have, there is a place to mark all of the tests, but they didn't do it.

These days, all of the elements you pass in a single session are listed on a single CSCE, as well as the class of license that was earned (just one--if you pass all three elements, you'd be awarded an Extra Class license only, not Technician, General, and Extra Class).

As far as the FCC is concerned, they do little, if anything, in processing new or upgraded licenses.  The VEC logs into the FCC computers and enters the new license information directly.  The transaction log lists something called a red light review, which I assume the FCC does, but given the speed with which new licenses appear, I suspect it's automatic.

If you pass the Tech one month, then take the General and Extra at a single session six months later, you'd be given two CSCEs: one indicating element 2 and Tech from the first session, and another indicating element 3, element 4, and Extra Class from the second session.
KD0YSX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »

Got it.  Technician and General, 2 tests, same day.

I haven't studied that hard in years.  Grin

Made my first radio contact tonight on 2M, too. Fun! The repeater I was talking through is about 18 miles away. Not bad.
KK4LGR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »

They almost made me sit for my General when I took my Tech.  I didn't want to take a test I hadn't studied for, so I (repeatedly) declined.

@KD0YSX, congratulations on your first contact!

"Well I'm sure glad we've got these ham radios to talk on."
--Unidentified station heard on 2 meters
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »

Hi,

Planning on taking the test for my Technician license in the early part of January.

I fully intend to get my General as soon thereafter as possible.

I am studying for both tests.

I am wondering, if I make advance arrangements with the Examiner, could I take the General test immediately after passing the Technician test, as I hope will be the case? Or must there be a waiting period, or must the testing happen in separate sessions?

thanks,

YES, in fact, they always offer it. As long as you keep passing, there is no extra cost. If you do pass the general, they will ask if you want to take the extra. You have nothing to lose trying it. Go for it.

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: