Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHat is so offensive about the K3  (Read 16626 times)
KB4XV

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »

I have owned Heathkits, Kenwoods, Icoms, and now a Yaesu. I have gotten the same results from all. If I can hear them I can talk to them. I don't like little radios because I have big hands and fingers and those tiny knobs are hard to control. Radios are like anything else. Good and bad ones in all brands. Besides it dose not matter what kind of radio you have if the antenna is crap. I may try one someday when they end up on ebay cheap if I live that long. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money on a radio unless it can get a job and make some money.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »

I do spend some time most evenings on 1.947 SSB

yes, I am so ashamed.......

Understood.

Anyone who has heard a K-3 on SSB knows exactly why you are ashamed.

Stan K9IUQ

Stan your a Bad Boy Shocked
I hope Santa Left you a K3 under the Tree  Tongue Tongue
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »

The K3s I've heard on ssb have a very distinctive tone, no matter how hard the op tries to hide it with expensive mics and equalizers. It's a very dry, hard, flat and effective tone for cutting through background noise and pileups in some cases. Not the greatest for being heard over impulse noise. IMO, not the most pleasant sound quality for ragchew. Very effective for communication.

Not really offensive, just annoying unless there is a life/safety effort at hand. It will likely be the signal that is heard over the cacophony of lesser radios being driven into shrill, squeaky "DX" mode audio.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »

Personally I don't find the K3 to be a bad radio on SSB but its certainly not great for the kind of money it costs and I don't see why anybody should be ashamed to own one because its a really a good CW radio.  As stated before the problem is not K3 its the owners and the non stop hyping of a radio that as Zenki stated gets 5 out of 20 things right and forgets about the rest.
N2ADV

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

The K3s I've heard on ssb have a very distinctive tone, no matter how hard the op tries to hide it with expensive mics and equalizers. It's a very dry, hard, flat and effective tone for cutting through background noise and pileups in some cases. Not the greatest for being heard over impulse noise. IMO, not the most pleasant sound quality for ragchew. Very effective for communication.

Not really offensive, just annoying unless there is a life/safety effort at hand. It will likely be the signal that is heard over the cacophony of lesser radios being driven into shrill, squeaky "DX" mode audio.
I get nothing but fantastic audio reports using my K3, the stock mic, and internal EQ. Like any other rig, if you set it up right it will work fine for you. Same with my TS480 - I've had people interject themselves into a QSO just to compliment my audio (both using the K3 and the 480) and ask what I'm running.

I happen to like the footprint of my K3 and the customizations available but is it better than a radio someone else has in their shack?  To me, sure. To everyone else?  Prob'ly not and that's ok! 

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »

The K3s I've heard on ssb have a very distinctive tone, no matter how hard the op tries to hide it with expensive mics and equalizers.

Not really offensive, just annoying

Bingo!! A perceptive ham can tell who is using a K-3 on SSB without being told. You described it perfectly. Not offensive, just annoying and these same words could be used to describe the K-3s RX audio also.

Do not worry K-3ers, your SSB audio is not offensive, just annoying and few hams will complain about your audio on the air.

Now that I think about it most K-3 operators are not offensive - just annoying.  Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »

Instead I got 3 pairs of underwear from Target bought with my wife's Credit Card...
 Wink

Stan K9IUQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »

Instead I got 3 pairs of underwear from Target bought with my wife's Credit Card...
 Wink

Stan K9IUQ

Ok well that Target purchase should be enough Penance.  BTW Stan thanks for the new TS-990  Wink  You'll understand next month  Wink
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »

I get nothing but fantastic audio reports using my K3, the stock mic, and internal EQ. Like any other rig, if you set it up right it will work fine for you.

Come on dude we were not born yesterday! 
I have never ever heard a K3 owner get "fantastic audio reports"  Huh Huh
You must be hanging around the K3 net when you get these reports!
The audio can be OK on a K3 but I have never heard one that was "Fantastic"
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »

BTW Stan thanks for the new TS-990  Wink  You'll understand next month  Wink

Anyone who actually lives on "Street Of Dreams" has to be fortunate.......

Those that do not understand the above, look him up on QRZ.com.
Stan K9IUQ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »

BTW, I've just recently decided to take in any unwanted K3 radios, just to do my small part in helping to relieve the agony and suffering in the Elecraft community
K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »

I am just sick of everyone going out of their way to bash it. It ruins the forum.

Funny.  I feel the same way about people who don't own Macs.  As a proud "fanboi" I find it beneath others' dignity that they stoop to ad hominem attacks on people because they like their computers to work the way they're supposed to.

I just recently bought a KX3 and am having the time of my life figuring out all the bells and whistles, setting up HDSDR, figuring out how to store the thing in an EMP-proof case (a SHTF commo kit).

I can't wait for the 2M board to come out soon.

There's a lot of immaturity among hams, I've found.  Arrested development of a sort.  Tune in to 3.363 or thereabouts most evenings and you'll hear some loser following the group who gathers on that band who curses, plays inappropriate cartoon music and comedic bits, basically crapping on the whole group, stalking them onto other bands as well.  Someone got their widdle feewings hurt and are sharing their butthurt all over the web.  He's not the only one.

I hope you get over your "offendedness" soon.

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »

BTW Stan thanks for the new TS-990  Wink  You'll understand next month  Wink

Anyone who actually lives on "Street Of Dreams" has to be fortunate.......

And thanks to some Underwear + Target  + Russian Comrade's = Dreams can come true  Grin
I better stop joking about this before Target thinks I am connected to this thing or worst Stan buys a 990 on his Credit card then claims no knowledge and sends them to this thread.  Fast forward 3 months, Happy Stan on 40M and Rob holding a Soap on the Rope  Grin
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »

I am just sick of everyone going out of their way to bash it. It ruins the forum.

Funny.  I feel the same way about people who don't own Macs.  As a proud "fanboi" I find it beneath others' dignity that they stoop to ad hominem attacks on people because they like their computers to work the way they're supposed to.

A Mac and K3 owner! Oh man what a Combo Pack  Roll Eyes
Just add in an Electric car some Solar cells and a Huge bedroom Mirror and your set for life  Grin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:45:40 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »

Funny.  I feel the same way about people who don't own Macs.  As a proud "fanboi" I find it beneath others' dignity that they stoop to ad hominem attacks on people because they like their computers to work the way they're supposed to.

You see my friend that's what makes it so funny, you people are dilusional in every possible way and that statement proves it.

It's not that other people go out and attack Mac owners or K3 owners it's that people like you come into a conversation and make statements like

" because they like their computers to work the way they're supposed to".

Who asked you about Macs and how did you manage to insult PC owners in your first sentence while still making an argument that your the one under attack!!

I have used an Iphone from day one and always have the latest or close to latest model but I avoid other iphone users because most of them sound like You.

Another thing I find funny is that your a Mac Lover who also likes the K3.  Those two products are so far apart in ideology that it makes me wonder if you really know anything about Ham Radios.  Apple is into making things work seamlessly and transparent.  Elecraft is into making you work your Ass off to do the simplest of tasks.  How do those two products come together in your mind?  Are you going to tell me that it does the most seamless CW in the world Wink

Lastly let me ask you what good is a Mac in most real world cases.  Everytime you need a piece of software you have to end up using some backwater version of it because no one writes the software for the Mac or you have to run it in emulation mode which begs the question of why own a Mac to begin with.  I am not saying they are not good computers but who the hell cares!  Not even Apple, they are moving as fast as they can from that market. I would suspect in 3-4 years they will give it up and just make tablets and phones.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:43:08 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: