Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHat is so offensive about the K3  (Read 15985 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 03:20:56 AM »

It's not superior it just designed to be a very narrow radio from the front end onward so it ends up being really good at CW and that's about it.  If your a CW DX chasing op it's a great choice otherwise you can take your pick from dozens of more well balanced radios.

That is a very good assessment of a K3.  If CW and DIGI are the most important thing to you, than the K3 is a very capable radio.  SSB it is very average.  I can get the audio in mine to sound decent but as far as sounding great... I don't really care, the mic stays in the desk drawer where it belongs.  It only comes out for DX contests where audio quality doesn't mean a hill of beans.  

Could I have bought a FTDX-5000 from Yaesu?  Sure, but I would have spent quite a bit more money and then had a heck of a lot less desk space to boot.  And besides, buying American means something to me.  

Do you mean to tell me that you don't hook your radios up to real speakers?  Mine feed some Yamaha HS50M studio monitors.  No ham radio has decent speakers in my estimation, and this includes the Kenwood TS-990 and the Yaesu FTDX-9000 and FTDX-5000s all of which I have used in the past.  My standards are probably a bit higher than your average ham though.

Anyway I think if you hook a decent speaker up to any amateur radio you will find your DXing is much improved.  I think it is a necessary upgrade.  You'll hear all kinds of stuff you never did before.

Judging a ham radio by its internal speaker is like judging a car based on the trunk lighting.

I use headphones.  For weak signal work. I have tried to listen to my radio through bookshelf speakers (with the tweeters disconnected and connected) I just would rather put on my AKG K77s when I need to. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:44 PM »

I use headphones.  For weak signal work. I have tried to listen to my radio through bookshelf speakers (with the tweeters disconnected and connected) I just would rather put on my AKG K77s when I need to. 

Nothing beats headphones!  Just look at every contest station, every DXpedition, they all have one piece of equipment in common and that's a good set of comfortable headphones.  Once you use them you can never go back to speakers unless it's just for listening to a nice loud QSO.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »

Nothing beats headphones!  Just look at every contest station, every DXpedition, they all have one piece of equipment in common and that's a good set of comfortable headphones.  Once you use them you can never go back to speakers unless it's just for listening to a nice loud QSO.

The AKGs are stupid light too. I did a 14 hour run with them earlier this year with no neck strain. Copy errors on CW... That was a different story.  I don't use clusters for contests.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »

I've read the comments and find myself agreeing with most of them. Not in the market for a new or used rig but Kenwood wins in just about every product category.

In decades past I was a Yaesu fan but that ship has sailed. Their recent stuff has more than its share of problems. The only Yaesu I would risk plunking down money for is a lowly FT-60.

Icom rigs are overpriced because of all the giveaway promotions they run for D-Star and ARRL contest sponsorships. Who needs it? 

Yaesu and Icom remind me of the Big Three automakers after the 2000-2002 recession. Too many product lines with too few customers. Sales volume in the higher price classes never reaches a level sufficient for the manufacturer to work out all the bugs. Customers are stuck. We all know how that worked out.

Since that time Kenwood has fielded fewer rigs in fewer categories and kept them in the product line for longer periods of time. It's been a good strategy.

American-made amateur transceivers seem unfinished to me. They're geographically and culturally too far from their components suppliers. It shows in the operation and appearance of their products.

The Chinese have a long way to go and I don't think they'll ever get there. They'll have re-descended into chaos, as they have throughout their history, before that happens. Their current lot of VHF-UHF transceivers are junk. Ditto for the receivers. The only time purchase of their stuff makes sense is when it's sold for a rock-bottom price.

China has an innovative policy for disposing of toxic waste and scrap. They use it to manufacture products for export which end up in the importing nation's landfills.

The only Kenwood products I own are 2 pairs of ancient HS-4 headphones, acquired used at hamfests. These things have to be in the 25-30 yr age range. They've held up well!

Doug
W3DBB   
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 07:06:19 AM »

I've read the comments and find myself agreeing with most of them. Not in the market for a new or used rig but Kenwood wins in just about every product category.

In decades past I was a Yaesu fan but that ship has sailed. Their recent stuff has more than its share of problems. The only Yaesu I would risk plunking down money for is a lowly FT-60.

Icom rigs are overpriced because of all the giveaway promotions they run for D-Star and ARRL contest sponsorships. Who needs it? 

Yaesu and Icom remind me of the Big Three automakers after the 2000-2002 recession. Too many product lines with too few customers. Sales volume in the higher price classes never reaches a level sufficient for the manufacturer to work out all the bugs. Customers are stuck. We all know how that worked out.

Since that time Kenwood has fielded fewer rigs in fewer categories and kept them in the product line for longer periods of time. It's been a good strategy.

American-made amateur transceivers seem unfinished to me. They're geographically and culturally too far from their components suppliers. It shows in the operation and appearance of their products.

The Chinese have a long way to go and I don't think they'll ever get there. They'll have re-descended into chaos, as they have throughout their history, before that happens. Their current lot of VHF-UHF transceivers are junk. Ditto for the receivers. The only time purchase of their stuff makes sense is when it's sold for a rock-bottom price.

China has an innovative policy for disposing of toxic waste and scrap. They use it to manufacture products for export which end up in the importing nation's landfills.

The only Kenwood products I own are 2 pairs of ancient HS-4 headphones, acquired used at hamfests. These things have to be in the 25-30 yr age range. They've held up well!

Doug
W3DBB   

We all have our personal preferences but Yaesu FTDX-5000 and FTDX-9000 and The Icom IC-7700 and IC-7800 are fine radios and until recently Kenwood did not have an answer. While it is true they are expensive, they are great radios. To deny that would be foolish. If I could afford one I would buy any of those four radios in a heartbeat. I also do not understand your statements when you claim that the only Kenwood products you own are a pair of headphones.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »

It's not a super radio, it's just a plain old radio.  Nothing special about it.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »

It's not a super radio, it's just a plain old radio.  Nothing special about it.

What makes a super radio in your eyes?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »

While it is true they are expensive, they are great radios. To deny that would be foolish. If I could afford one I would buy any of those four radios in a heartbeat.

Very, very well put!  Some of this odd brand loyalty in actuality just shows the zealot's lack of any understanding of what they're spouting off.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »

It's not a super radio, it's just a plain old radio.  Nothing special about it.

I don't know about him but for me it's radios that cover all the bases and cover them properly.  They may not be the absolute best in any one area but they are always up there near the top in just about every category. As Zenki said getting as close to doing all 25 things right and not just excelling at 5 and forgetting the others.

7800/7700/990S/5000 are IMO radios that fit in that category of super radio's.

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2014, 06:19:25 AM »

It's not a super radio, it's just a plain old radio.  Nothing special about it.

I don't know about him but for me it's radios that cover all the bases and cover them properly.  They may not be the absolute best in any one area but they are always up there near the top in just about every category. As Zenki said getting as close to doing all 25 things right and not just excelling at 5 and forgetting the others.

7800/7700/990S/5000 are IMO radios that fit in that category of super radio's.

I thought the 7800 was just an OK radio. I've spent a lot of time operating one and it just didn't do it for me. The selectivity on crowded bands was average at best and bettered by radios that cost half. But since I am mainly a CW OP that means the most to me. The 7800 does have some of the absolute best RX audio that I have ever heard though, but it is a shame a radio it's size and price has such a wimpy audio amplifier 1w output is silly on something that costs 10k.

The FTDX 5000 is an amazing rig it has better SSB audio than my K3 and equal selectivity with some really odd ergonomics (something my K3 also shares) the reason I didn't go with one was that I like to operate portable and I like to take my rig to our field day events. Taking a FTDX 5000 to field day would be a chore. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: