Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHat is so offensive about the K3  (Read 18219 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »

I figured since the topic gets drug through this board so ofter off topic you guys could have a thread to yourselves about it. 

I love mine  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »

I figured since the topic gets drug through this board so ofter off topic you guys could have a thread to yourselves about it.  

I love mine  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I hope to own the KX3 someday. The only thing offensive is that I don't own one yet... :-)

Still using Windows XP Pro.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »

I am just sick of everyone going out of their way to bash it. It ruins the forum.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 05:06:53 AM »

I am just sick of everyone going out of their way to bash it.

Said by a K-3 owner..  Wink

It is not the K-3 that is offensive, it is the owners of the K-3 that are offensive. Much like the Flexradio owners...

Stan K9IUQ
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:16:34 AM »

My Ford is better than your Chevy. Nah nah nee nah nah.  Merry Christmas every one
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:04:20 AM »

Tastes great!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »

I am just sick of everyone going out of their way to bash it.

Said by a K-3 owner..  Wink

It is not the K-3 that is offensive, it is the owners of the K-3 that are offensive. Much like the Flexradio owners...

Stan K9IUQ

So pride of ownership bothers you? 

I hope some day you find a radio that makes you as happy as the K3 does me. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »

So pride of ownership bothers you?  

I hope some day you find a radio that makes you as happy as the K3 does me.  

Pride of ownership? Give us a break. It is only a radio. Why would owning any radio give anyone pride??  OTOH Owning a K-3 gives many an big ego. They feel a need to convince everyone their K-3 is better than a Yaesu,Kenwood,Icom,Flexradio etc.

Trust me, I have had MANY radios that have given me happiness. No radio would ever give me pride..  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

If I ever feel a need for pride I can guarantee it will not come from a K-3 or any other radio.

I am just sick of everyone going out of their way to bash it. It ruins the forum.

If the K-3 Bashing bothers you, as it seems it does, I suggest you stay on the Elecraft forums where you can get a nice warm feeling and spread your K-3 pride to other prideful owners.

Stan K9IUQ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »

Tastes great!

LESS FILLING!

(Next we can do "Hey, you got chocolate in my peanut butter!"  Smiley  )
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »

Pride of ownership? Give us a break. It is only a radio. Why would owning any radio give anyone pride??  OTOH Owning a K-3 gives many an big ego. They feel a need to convince everyone their K-3 is better than a Yaesu,Kenwood,Icom,Flexradio etc.

If the K-3 Bashing bothers you, as it seems it does, I suggest you stay on the Elecraft forums where you can get a nice warm feeling and spread your K-3 pride to other prideful owners.

Stan K9IUQ

Well Stan you pretty much took the words out of my Mouth.
As you stated the K3 owners come on the forum and whenever someone asks what radio should I buy, I am thinking of X and Z?   The K3 owners pounce and say oh forget that Icom 7800 and the Kenwood 990 the K3 is better because some arbitrarily sorted list by a guy who doesn't even use one himself makes it the best for everyone and every situation Roll Eyes

And on the flip side Elecraft is using a few clever business tactics to make money.

1) Offer it as a Kit:  (When people put together kits it becomes like their own child, they feel like they gave birth to it and nobody is going to say anything negative about their child!
It becomes a radio that I made and am SO PROUD OF!  (Same technique Heathkit used)

2) Niche marketing:  Make a radio that will appeal to the CW purist.   The kind of CW guy who only cares about that .01% of the time when having something so narrow will make a difference.  The guy who will suffer with all the other short comings for 99.99% of his QSO's just so he has or believes he has a CW edge in that once per year situation.   After all who better to use to promote a product than the purist, he will always be the most vocal.  Just look up IMD and almost every post will have "Zenki" chiming in.

So what's wrong with the K3:

1)  It's Ergonomics and Menu system are a complete mess.

2)  The "Do You Want Fries With That?" sales approach that Elecraft uses is a turn off.  And those dam fries are expensive, and on top of that the plain burger without cheese is expensive!

3)  It's Tinny and Narrow and gives people a headache if they listen to it for too long. Basically the Ear fatigue level is at +10 with all Elecraft products

4) It's Expensive, the whole Radio plus the accessories to make it into the same radio you would get from the Big 3 ends up making it cost more, in some cases a lot more.

5) It's Tiny!  I want more meat on my radio, that tiny size may or may not bother some people but it's a turn off for me.

6) The Plastic is cheap feeling and not impressive at all.

So since you asked, that's the main list of problems with the K3 IMO.
As stated before the real turn off is not those problems because anyone who does their home work should know what they are getting before they buy it.  The problem is the owners and their hijacking of forums like eHam to try and push a product by telling new Hams stupid stuff like it's the "Best Radio Made", "It's better than a Kenwood 990".  You guys just turn off so many people and are unknowingly doing Elecraft a big disservice.

Rob
KD8MJR
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:14:11 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »

Hello Gang: Funny, I've never ever heard of a K1, K2, or K3 owner ever saying he was unhappy with his purchase. Personally. I'd love to have one myself.

Pride in ownership-Yep, it happens.Just ask anyone who homebrews his own gear from scratch.

Wishing you all the best of  the Season and a Happy and Safe New Year...Bunky, K4EJQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »

Hello Gang: Funny, I've never ever heard of a K1, K2, or K3 owner ever saying he was unhappy with his purchase. Personally. I'd love to have one myself.

Pride in ownership-Yep, it happens.Just ask anyone who homebrews his own gear from scratch.

Wishing you all the best of  the Season and a Happy and Safe New Year...Bunky, K4EJQ

You rarely hear any Ham say he's unhappy with his purchase unless it burns out.  Just look at the Ameritron AL-1300 owners, they even defend their amplifier after it burns out twice in the first 3 months Huh

Pride in ownership in something that you Designed and Built from scratch is a lot different than buying a simple kit and bolting it together.  I built an ensemble RX/TX and that thing took longer to put together than any K-3 would ever take me (Winding Inductors and hand soldering SMD components is no fun).  In the end I even made my own excuses for it's complete lack of Tx usability (1/2 a Watt is useless) by saying well at least the receive is good (which it's not).

That's the power of putting together kits, they become a reflection of your own ingenuity and you try to find reasons to love them even when you know they have problems.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:44:27 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »

Excellent and honest assessment Robert showing your experience and time with this rig.
Personally built two K3's which brought memories of an Erector Set by Hasbro I received
for Christmas one year.

This kit took 8 hours of screwing nuts onto bolts and once that tedious process was finished
15 minutes plugging in the 7 or so modules. Never wanted to see a bolt or nut again in my
life after this experience.

To state "I built this radio" is a joke. This is not even homebrew. Elecraft saves
LOT'S of cash using this approach and then nickel and dime you to death with the accessories.
Reminds me in the early 80's when Atari came out with their excellent gaming console. They
did not make money on the console but made huge profits with their game cartridges. Later we
found out the cartridges were manufactured for .50 cents each and were sold for $49.95. Pretty
nifty eh!

Sold my K3's and now have a very nice Kenwood TS-590S which is fantastic on CW with some
very nice stock accessories.

john

[/quote]

Well Stan you pretty much took the words out of my Mouth.
As you stated the K3 owners come on the forum and whenever someone asks what radio should I buy, I am thinking of X and Z?   The K3 owners pounce and say oh forget that Icom 7800 and the Kenwood 990 the K3 is better because some arbitrarily sorted list by a guy who doesn't even use one himself makes it the best for everyone and every situation Roll Eyes

And on the flip side Elecraft is using a few clever business tactics to make money.

1) Offer it as a Kit:  (When people put together kits it becomes like their own child, they feel like they gave birth to it and nobody is going to say anything negative about their child!
It becomes a radio that I made and am SO PROUD OF!  (Same technique Heathkit used)

2) Niche marketing:  Make a radio that will appeal to the CW purist.   The kind of CW guy who only cares about that .01% of the time when having something so narrow will make a difference.  The guy who will suffer with all the other short comings for 99.99% of his QSO's just so he has or believes he has a CW edge in that once per year situation.   After all who better to use to promote a product than the purist, he will always be the most vocal.  Just look up IMD and almost every post will have "Zenki" chiming in.

So what's wrong with the K3:

1)  It's Ergonomics and Menu system are a complete mess.

2)  The "Do You Want Fries With That?" sales approach that Elecraft uses is a turn off.  And those dam fries are expensive, and on top of that the plain burger without cheese is expensive!

3)  It's Tinny and Narrow and gives people a headache if they listen to it for too long. Basically the Ear fatigue level is at +10 with all Elecraft products

4) It's Expensive, the whole Radio plus the accessories to make it into the same radio you would get from the Big 3 ends up making it cost more, in some cases a lot more.

5) It's Tiny!  I want more meat on my radio, that tiny size may or may not bother some people but it's a turn off for me.

6) The Plastic is cheap feeling and not impressive at all.

So since you asked, that's the main list of problems with the K3 IMO.
As stated before the real turn off is not those problems because anyone who does their home work should know what they are getting before they buy it.  The problem is the owners and their hijacking of forums like eHam to try and push a product by telling new Hams stupid stuff like it's the "Best Radio Made", "It's better than a Kenwood 990".  You guys just turn off so many people and are unknowingly doing Elecraft a big disservice.

Rob
KD8MJR
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:19:31 PM by N4DSP » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

Thanks John.
BTW I love that 590, it's one of the best bangs for the buck on the market.

73's
Rob
KDMJR
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »

BTW I love that 590, it's one of the best bangs for the buck on the market.

I like (I have not ever loved a radio, love is for my dogs and wife) my TS-590s. It does not give me pride, however I am happy of the fact the 590s has saved me about $3K over a comparable equipped model K-3.  Cheesy Cheesy

Sold my K3's and now have a very nice Kenwood TS-590S which is fantastic on CW with some
very nice stock accessories.

I guess K-3 Pride did not impress you...  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:01:51 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: