Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passed General and Extra Exams Saturday  (Read 9369 times)
W5AGK

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »

I am 77 years old and am posting this to encourage younger folks to get busy and do it!  I used the ARRL study guides for all three exams.  The CD which comes with the books provides a great way to drill on the questions.  You will know when you are ready to take the tests.

In October, I passed the Technician exam with a perfect score.  Saturday I passed both the General and Extra exams with perfect scores.

Come on, youngsters - if a 77 year old can do it I know you can too!

Get going and good luck!

George
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »

I am 77 years old and am posting this to encourage younger folks to get busy and do it!  I used the ARRL study guides for all three exams.  The CD which comes with the books provides a great way to drill on the questions.  You will know when you are ready to take the tests.

In October, I passed the Technician exam with a perfect score.  Saturday I passed both the General and Extra exams with perfect scores.

Get going and good luck!

George

Younger folks are around and doing it. I did it last year at 47. I've seen two teens do it recently as well.

Edit: Congratulations BTW!
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:24:45 AM »

Congratulations, George, that's fantastic!  Welcome to HF.  I hope to work you on the air sometime.

I got my ticket at age 50. Wish I'd done it 35 years ago. But it's never too late!

73 de Tony

KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »

Congrats George. I hope to work you on the air soon.
K2CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:30:09 AM »

Congrats! NICE!

HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »

The literacy rate in the USA today hovers around 75%.
Which means that one fourth of the population in the USA cannot read or write, at least not beyond the 3rd grade level.
You would have to be able to read to be able to read the books to take the the tests.

The other problem is the cost involved with buying everything needed to build a HF radio station.  The lack of Elmers, and the mindset of most hams today - that only sells something when it is broke and wants to take advantage of new hams and pawn their junk off on them.   By the time the new ham is established, they have run out of money and are quickly discouraged.

Most people stops at the Technician Class license because they believe that it is good enough.  They can buy a two way handheld and get on the local repeater and talk, and that was the only motivation they had to get a license.

In an emergency, a Technician class ham is practically useless.
911 and Hurricane Katrina taught us that in a real emergency, you have to believe that the repeaters are not going to be there.
All phone traffic must take place on simplex and 80 meters, since 80 meters is the only place that allows amateurs from all parts of the state to converse with each other.  And, you must have a resonant antenna and a working HF radio to operate on 80 meters.

It can't be done with a G5RV....

They license a lot of young boys in my area of the country, but the retention level is almost zero.
Once boys gets to the age of automobiles and girls, they forget about amateur radio.
Then when a man retires from work and has all this money and nothing to do with his time, he comes back to amateur radio with a zeal.   These are the people that the amplifier manufacturers caters to and the high end radio sellers appeases.

Congratulations on getting your license. 

If you want to get more young people involved, I would suggest that you invite them to your radio shack and teach them how to operate.
Then again, you - yourself are still a new ham and you have not learned the in's and out's of operating. 
Now would be a good time for you to find yourself a real Elmer and start learning all that you can about the hobby.
Unfortunately at 77 years old, you are behind the 8 ball.

The license is just permission to operate, it has nothing to do with any sort of skill level.
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »

George,
Congratulations on upgrading.. Nailing the tests with 100% scores all the way through is an accomplishment in itself, way to go!!
I think you are the guy who proves the formula Preparation + Perspiration = Success.
You sound like a guy with a 100% positive attitude, we need more like you.
Hope to work you on HF sometime.. Voice or Digital would be a blast!!!

And, 'CANE, way to take a dump in George's Cheerrios!!!!!
Nobody would object to you stating your somewhat gloomy opinions, but maybe this particular thread wasn't the place, and starting a new topic would be the way to go..

73!
Bill AB9TA
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »

Congratulations, George.

No matter what the age, amateur radio has a lot to offer. In 1996, I passed my 20WPM Morse code exam to obtain my Amateur Extra at the age of 17. When I turned 18, I became a VE. Now I'm an ARRL registered license instructor who works with a great team of folks in the area to train anyone with an interest in radio.

The reasons are vast, and certainly different these days; however, I think anyone can do it, and encourage everyone.

This should be a GREAT weekend! The solar flux numbers are way up, and noise is down. Get out there. Hope to hear you on the air. ;o)
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »

George,

my hat is way off to you! Not only at age 77 but acing it! You're da man!

When I became a ham, I was young in comparison, only 65, and I juuuuuuust passed the Extra with 74%. But the 26% I had wrong were for stuff I never intend to do anyway, so I won't be doing anything stupid like getting the neighbor electrocuted. Yeah, right, with QRP I'm a real danger!

Anyway, that is one great achievement for you. I wish that you can use it for many gratifying QSOs and perhaps even some innovative technology? I'd get a cold head, with my hat never going back on  Grin

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »

Great job George!

Bernie
K2YO
G7ENQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

I am 77 years old........

Very well done George! You're living proof of the maxim just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean the fire's out! Let's hear you working across the pond soon.

Bill
EI9FDB, G7ENQ

W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »

The literacy rate in the USA today hovers around 75%.

Seriously?

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SE.ADT.LITR.ZS

Cambodia has a 75% literacy rate.  The US is closer to 98%.

Geof
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »

I am 77 years old and am posting this to encourage younger folks to get busy and do it!  I used the ARRL study guides for all three exams.  The CD which comes with the books provides a great way to drill on the questions.  You will know when you are ready to take the tests.

In October, I passed the Technician exam with a perfect score.  Saturday I passed both the General and Extra exams with perfect scores.

Get going and good luck!

George

Congrats George, that isnt an easy task you puleld off. Nice work for an old fella.  Wink

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: