Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Logging Program  (Read 6698 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »

When Station Building one of the items which is priority is the Station Log. Which programs are there to choose from and what are the interesting features of each. There are some free ones that offer amazing tech support and there are some which cost $50-$100 with little tech support. Then there is the trusty log which requires no tech support. The Paper Log.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »

Which programs are there to choose from and what are the interesting features of each.

Oh dear, not yet ANOTHER "what is the best log thread." Go to the eham Computer and Software forum and search. You will find dozens of log threads. Then go to the eham reviews and look at all the Log reviews. This will keep you busy for days.

Then disregard all that you have read. Go to the Logger websites. All of them have a free trial. Try them out and make up your own mind what is the Best logger for YOU. Do not ask me or any other ham or any other ham about loggers. Loggers are like women, some hams like skinny, some fat, some blonde or brunette and some hams like men.  Cheesy You have to figure out your own preferences for loggers and Women (Men)...  Wink Cheesy

Asking what is the Best Logger is a big waste of time.

Stan K9IUQ

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »

When Station Building one of the items which is priority is the Station Log. Which programs are there to choose from and what are the interesting features of each. There are some free ones that offer amazing tech support and there are some which cost $50-$100 with little tech support. Then there is the trusty log which requires no tech support. The Paper Log.

I have a review of N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log version 4.x up at:

http://www.nk7z.net

Click "Software Reviews" on the right hand side of the page, the ACLog review is the top one for now...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

LOL. This is the best post I have read in years.
This is destined to be an eHam Classic.
Thanks!

john

Which programs are there to choose from and what are the interesting features of each.

Oh dear, not yet ANOTHER "what is the best log thread." Go to the eham Computer and Software forum and search. You will find dozens of log threads. Then go to the eham reviews and look at all the Log reviews. This will keep you busy for days.

Then disregard all that you have read. Go to the Logger websites. All of them have a free trial. Try them out and make up your own mind what is the Best logger for YOU. Do not ask me or any other ham or any other ham about loggers. Loggers are like women, some hams like skinny, some fat, some blonde or brunette and some hams like men.  Cheesy You have to figure out your own preferences for loggers and Women (Men)...  Wink Cheesy

Asking what is the Best Logger is a big waste of time.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:07:51 PM by N4DSP » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »

AC Log from N3FJP is by far the easiest most customizable and good looking log book I have ever tried.  Uploads to LoTW and E-QSL are simple. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »

If you are a computer geek and like to tweak then DXLAB is for you!  I switched from Ham Radio Disaster to DXLAB about 3 months ago.  Steep learning curve, even for a computer geek like myself, but well worth it.  Working more DX than ever before because of it!  It's FREE and well documented and supported.  n3Hee  Cheesy
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

If you are a computer geek and like to tweak then DXLAB is for you!  I switched from Ham Radio Disaster to DXLAB about 3 months ago.  Steep learning curve, even for a computer geek like myself, but well worth it.  Working more DX than ever before because of it!  It's FREE and well documented and supported.  n3Hee  Cheesy

I tried to love DXLabs but couldn't. While it has powerful tools it was so stinking slow even on my I7 machine

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

I tried to love DXLabs but couldn't. While it has powerful tools it was so stinking slow even on my I7 machine

Slow in what way? It runs fine for me.

I did have an issue, not long after I started using it, with SpotCollector being very slow. I don't remember the details but it turned out that there was something wrong with the database parameters. I had not set it up properly and the database kept growing. A little digging into the documentation solved that.

Also, any question is quickly answered on their Yahoo forum.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »

I'm running DXLAB on a 4 year old machine with 2GB RAM running XP and it runs fine.  I also had a problem with Spot Collector.  It was due to running the RBN as a spot source.  The program would grind to halt after a short period of time.  Removing the RBN from the sources fixed the problem. 
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

I'm running DXLAB on a 4 year old machine with 2GB RAM running XP and it runs fine.  I also had a problem with Spot Collector.  It was due to running the RBN as a spot source.  The program would grind to halt after a short period of time.  Removing the RBN from the sources fixed the problem. 

Maybe it is time to do some maintenance on my computer then...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:39:47 AM »

Did DXLAB run slow immediately after you started it?  Or did it get worse over time?  What part of it ran slow?  SpotCollector seems to have a problem with spot sources that grow the database too large.  There are settings in SpotCollector to prune the database and keep it a manageable size.  I am only using three spot sources.  I had problems using the Reverse Beacon Network source.  It overwhelmed SpotCollector and made it very sluggish to the point of being unusable.  I really don't think it takes much computing power to run DXLAB.  Give it another try and keep us posted on your progress. 
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »

It started slow.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »

N1MM

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print