Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New v. old radios  (Read 7183 times)
AB3LD

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »

OK, I have ever owned and used only two very old HF rigs:  Heathkit HW-100 and Yaesu FT-101E.  I also have a Yaesu FRG-7 general coverage receiver.

So I am finally considering buying an actual new, modern rig.  In my price range considering Yaesu FTDX1200, Kenwood TS590, Ten Tec Eagle.  My question is, just how much different will I notice in terms of improved performance?  WIll the new radios outperform the FRG-7 as a general coverage receiver?  Is there anything at all that the old radios do better than the new ones?  TO afford the new radio I will need to sell both old ones, and I don't want to regret it too much…

Thanks!
Joe P.
AB3LD
W3JAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »

Hi Joe,
It is a matter of choice. I have a Kenwood TS-480. It is great, but lacks tubes! Is there a way someone could loan you a newer one to find out? Maybe go to HRO to test drive one! It would be sad to sell your rigs only to find out you miss the tube glow.
Good luck!
John
W3JAR
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

" Is there anything at all that the old radios do better than the new ones?"

Yes they are beefier and more robust but that's about it!

Get a new rig, you will be amazed at how much better it receives and how nice it is to have DSP and all the other goodies.  You can always find another FT-101 if you miss it, and you might even be able to find a fixer upper for little or nothing and have lots of fun restoring it.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:41:46 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:28:14 AM »

I just bought a FTDX-1200 and absolutely love it.  Right now with the rebates you can buy them for $1399.  I also picked up an Icom 7200 and it's a nice rig at $874 on sale.  If you don't need the scope or all the EQ stuff it's a good choice.

Read the reviews here on Eham.  Both are really rated high. 

I have hear some 590's on the air using the Heil HM-pro mics and they sound nice also.  It's a hard decision.  Just get all three and you'll have lots of fun Smiley
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 04:11:30 AM »

Get a new rig, you will be amazed at how much better it receives and how nice it is to have DSP and all the other goodies.  You can always find another FT-101 if you miss it

I think that's excellent advice!

AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »

Why would you buy a Yaesu FT-1200 new for $1300-1400 when you could get the much superior FT-2000 used and working well for $1500-1600???
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »

Why would you buy a Yaesu FT-1200 new for $1300-1400 when you could get the much superior FT-2000 used and working well for $1500-1600???

And get dual receive on the FT2000. For that price I would get a used Icom 756PRO2 and get the bandscope along with the dual receive.

John AF5CC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:43:04 AM »

And get dual receive on the FT2000. For that price I would get a used Icom 756PRO2 and get the bandscope along with the dual receive.

John AF5CC

And a used rig has no warranty which is something to consider too

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »

and a used rig has no warranty which is something to consider too

They generally do if you buy it from one of the ham dealers.

John AF5CC
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »

Hi

My friend had a TS520 for years and bought a IC 718, went back to the TS520 and sold the IC718, he couldn't get used to the noise from the radios RX.

He now has a IC7410, and still has problems with setting up his audio on the TX side.
He is getting used to it now and for him the only advantage he can find is the absolute frequency stability and not having to retune the amp while changing bands.
He still hates all the knobs he doesn't need want and uses

But I can see his point, the old tube rigs listen more silent , and they do not take much time in getting to know the operation of them.
In daily ragchew in not to crowded bands I think you will not find much difference at all.
And if you buy a rig with lots of bells and whistles, be sure to study the manual very good.

I have a TS590 and I think in dayly use in rag chew and certainly in SSB you will not find a lot of differences between rigs like the TS590 IC7410 FTDX1200 or any rig about $1500 pricerange.
biggest advantages in compare with the old timers, is that new rigs are very stable in frequency.
And you do not have to tune the tubes no more.
All these rigs have enough bells and whistles that you can use so that the radio will RX like you want it and that they sound the way you want them to sound.

Disadvantages, if they break down you are going to need a microscope to repair them.
And all new rigs have menus and an awfull lot of bells and whistles, it could take a while to get used to them.

73's good luck
Jos PA1ZP
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »

and a used rig has no warranty which is something to consider too

John AF5CC

A very limited one if at all.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »

John AF5CC

Quite True.

NOT True.
Here is just one example from the HamStation Gear used warranty:
10 DAY MONEY BACK  Less shipping (YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE DEAL -
 YOU CANT GET RIPPED OFF)

2- 30 DAY PARTS AND LABOR (JUST IN CASE WE MISSED SOMETHING
OR A COMPONENT FAILS)

For used gear a fair policy. Other reputable dealers offer similar..

Stan K9IUQ
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »

Is there anything at all that the old radios do better than the new ones?

Evoke nostalgia. Some of us were teenagers or college students when this or that rig came out, so we couldn't afford it. Later in life, we can. For me, it was the Icom R-70, which I finally bought almost 30 years after it came it out. It's everything everyone said back in the day – so much so that it influenced my decision to get a 7700.
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »

Quite True.

NOT True.
 YOU CANT GET RIPPED OFF)

OR A COMPONENT FAILS)

Stan K9IUQ

I don't know.  30 days seems like a "very limited" warranty.  Everyone has their own definition, but for me 30 days is basically enough to ensure that its not broken when you receive it.  The 1-2 years transceivers get when bought new is more likely to help with future failures, that may not be evident at time of purchase.  When I was shopping for my first radio (very recently) I generally found that a radio that was $1000 new, could be bought for $900 used from a dealer like HRO, and $800-850 used from and independent seller. (ballpark number obviously.)  To me each of the used option offered too many trade-offs for the savings, so I resolved to buy new.  But I got lucky, and found a $1200 radio used from HRO for $900 in "like new" condition according to the salesman.  That amount of savings with the security of the 30-day return, was enough to justify--because it also meant I could afford a little better radio.  But I do think that a 1-2 year warranty is not insignificant.

Geof
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »

John AF5CC

Quite True.

NOT True.
 YOU CANT GET RIPPED OFF)

OR A COMPONENT FAILS)

Stan K9IUQ

Your off base again. You can get more than a 10 day return if you buy with Visa and I do think a 30 day warranty on a expensive piece of equipment is indeed limited

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: