Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New v. old radios  (Read 8148 times)
AD4DQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »

Is there anything at all that the old radios do better than the new ones?

Evoke nostalgia. Some of us were teenagers or college students when this or that rig came out, so we couldn't afford it. Later in life, we can. For me, it was the Icom R-70, which I finally bought almost 30 years after it came it out. It's everything everyone said back in the day – so much so that it influenced my decision to get a 7700.

The older radios are built alot better, all metal, not plastic and made in china. The tube radio sound IMO is far better as well, plus the tube radios can run at 3-1 swr where a new rig shuts down at 2-1. They are easier to repair and alot more fun to tune up and work dx. I have both new and old, like them both but prefer tube gear 99% of the time.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »

"Is there anything the old radios will do better than the new ones?"

Yes, they will last longer, sound better, also unlike the plug/play idiot boxes of today you needed a minimum of average intelligence to use them properly, and to remind you that we used to manufacture and produce things in the U.S.A.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:20:42 AM by W1JKA » Logged
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »

You can't get much simpler to operate than a Kenwood TS120, and that is an old radio. The new radios today really require some intelligence with the DSP settings and the different menu items.

John AF5CC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »

The original poster has abandoned this can of worms, Cease Fire..... Cease Fire!  Grin

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: