Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDMI Question  (Read 4508 times)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »

Im trying to connect my Toshiba laptop to my Vizio flat screen tv using the HDMI ports. I can get the picture to come through just fine, but I cant seem to get the computer audio to come through on the tv speakers. Im trying to use the pc to play an occasional movie on the tv. Any ideas anyone?
W5ARP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

After the TV is plugged in, the HDMI port should show up as a second sound card (assuming your PC has a first sound card).  You have to  set it as the default device.  If you are on windows 7 there should be a "manage audio devices" control panel, where you can set the TV as the default.  Alternatively, your video playback software may allow you to select an output device.  Other windows versions should have something similar.

If the tv/hdmi doesn't show in the audio devices, then you have a bigger issue, with drivers.

Geof
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:34:36 AM »

I had the same problem.  If you're using an adapter, it turns out that there are different DVI adapters to convert the output of your video card to a HDMI source.  If you don't have the proper one you will get picture--but no sound.  Please don't ask me why, it could be the video/sound card itself or the adapter.  I just don't know since I never really got into researching it further. 

The answer I got when I asked is this:  "You may have to use a second set of speakers instead of your display speakers."  Since I had ordered the adapter on a lark, I didn't bother further.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:37:35 AM by K1CJS » Logged
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »

You could connect the speaker out of the laptop to the audio input jacks on the TV...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »

I suspect the problem is in TV not laptop. Check setup on TV on audio over HDMI settings. My laptops send audio over HDMI by default by TV can have wrong settings.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K8MTR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:55:17 AM »

I have a PC (Win7) connected to a Samsung HDTV using HDMI and the sound from the PC does come out through the HDTV's speakers just fine. I just had to tell Windows to make the HDMI interface the default for sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: