Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what does hrd do verus dxlab?  (Read 25093 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »

eham needs to spank you like Wiki did.

WikiPedia wanted content, not just URLs. There is no need to post content here that is accessible via URLs.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »

WikiPedia wanted content, not just URLs.

I guess that is why the Wiki told you that : "Wikipedia is not a vehicle for advertising" Did you do too much advertising and too little content  on Wiki? You know, like you do here constantly....

IMO eham is NOT a vehicle for advertising either unless you pay for it. Yet you continue to post advertising for DXLabs on eham Forums constantly...

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:13:14 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »

IMO eham is NOT a vehicle for advertising either

If eHam had a problem with my descriptions of DXLab capabilities in their forums, I'd have heard from them years ago.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »

Functionality that DXLab provides above and beyond the usual "logging and transceiver control" is summarized in What Makes DXLab Different.

Dave, AA6YQ

It's a nice list but most of those items can be done in HRD 6.x
If you want to make a proper list you need to make a complete list of every function both pieces of software can do and then check off which ones are exclusive to one or found in both.  That still will not help a potential user with evaluating the interface or ease of use and bugs but at least it's a start if your going to boast about features.    I think there is more than enough room for several pieces of software, I just found HRD to be more streamlined and functional.  It will not be everybody's cup of tea but it does have the largest arsenal of ham related tools.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:11:26 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 07:56:37 PM »

Functionality that DXLab provides above and beyond the usual "logging and transceiver control" is summarized in What Makes DXLab Different.

Dave, AA6YQ

It's a nice list but most of those items can be done in HRD 6.x
If you want to make a proper list you need to make a complete list of every function both pieces of software can do and then check off which ones are exclusive to one or found in both.  That still will not help a potential user with evaluating the interface or ease of use and bugs but at least it's a start if your going to boast about features.

That list is a set of capabilities "above and beyond the usual logging and transceiver control found in most applications". I don't compare DXLab to other applications; users and reviewers do that.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »

For the most part Hams do not make good software reviewers and they are certainly not good at finding features within software.  Most Hams just find the parts of the software that interest them, they struggle to get just those parts to work and they go no further.

I think during the years I have been using HRD I have probably only used 50% of it in depth, although as a former software writer I did spend a few hours just opening and looking at just about everything.  The problem is if you ask me does it have SSTV and does it work?  I would say "yes" because I tried it and it received pictures, but can I tell you if it works well or how do you make it Tx SSTV. "No" I had no interest in sending pictures or playing with the SSTV software to find bugs.  Also I never tried any of the digital modes except PSK, CW and RTTY mainly because I can't locate stations using other formats, they pop up but not that often and I just have no interest in messing with some of those formats.  Other Hams may be extremely interested in SSTV and lots of digital formats, others in award tracking etc. 

So for me to go on eHam and use the reviews as a reference when it comes to software, I have to take all the reviews with a huge grain of salt!  If the computer handicapped ham gets it to work it's a 5 star if he cannot get it to work it's a 1 star.  Even though the software is fine and it's the Ham himself that is clueless.

BTW I just read a previous thread were a guy had a problem with HRD and said the software was crap, it turned out that he had installed the wrong drivers for his usb to serial converter and was very happy when he found out and got the right drivers, courtesy of the HRD support guy. 

Dave I noticed you were all over that thread pushing dxlab during the period when he was frustrated.  Why would you do that ?

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »

Dave I noticed you were all over that thread pushing dxlab during the period when he was frustrated.  Why would you do that ?
You should re-read that thread more carefully. The ham who initiated the thread posted "maybe I'll try DXLab while I'm waiting", to which I responded "If you need help, let me know".

If you think that constitutes "pushing DXLab", then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »

For the most part Hams do not make good software reviewers and they are certainly not good at finding features within software.

"Blame the user" is an all-too-typical reaction. If motivated users can't find features within software, the documentation is insufficient.

That doesn't mean that every user should employ every one of an application's capabilities; well-designed systems enable users to choose the subset of functionality they need without paying a penalty in learning curve, release rate, or defect density for the functionality they aren't using.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:11:48 AM by AA6YQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:01 AM »

Dave I noticed you were all over that thread pushing dxlab during the period when he was frustrated.  Why would you do that ?

He does it because he is the programmer for DXLabs and uses the eham forums as a free platform for his advertising. He pushes DxLabs in every Logger thread he can find. Many hams are tired of his constant promoting of DxLabs.  If Dxlabs is great all one has to do is try it out. It is after all free. And that is what it is worth - ZERO $. With the ugliest and non-standard confusing interface of any logger Dxlabs could not compete if there was a cost involved in its purchase....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:18:09 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:11 AM »

Dave I noticed you were all over that thread pushing dxlab during the period when he was frustrated.  Why would you do that ?
Many hams are tired of his constant promoting of DxLabs.  

Actually, Stan, there is a measurable increase in DXLab "first downloads" in the wake of your tirades. Thanks! And keep it up!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »

With the ugliest and non-standard confusing interface of any logger Dxlabs could not compete if there was a cost involved in its purchase....

Since when is there a "standard" interface for logging software???  If they all looked the same you would have little choice. Not everyone likes same thing dah...   Myself I do not use it but I do not like HRD either.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »

Since when is there a "standard" interface for logging software???  If they all looked the same you would have little choice. Not everyone likes same thing dah...   Myself I do not use it but I do not like HRD either.

Stan believes that all Windows applications must provide menus and employ a Multiple Document Interface (MDI). He's entitled to his opinion. Users have little difficulty deciding whether or not they like a particular user interface; as you say, there are plenty of choices, free and otherwise.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »

Interesting enough, the 30 day demo downloads are also up for HRD, as well as the orders for full versions and upgrades.

1 out of every 3 orders is an upgrade from a current customer.  This not only keeps them current, but allows us to once again, increase staff.  We need Chris, N4KIT, to move more toward a scrumaster function and so we are starting our hunt for a new QA guy.  

And just got a dealer order from EU for 38 units...  today is a good day for my team!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:56:57 PM by W4PC » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »

For the most part Hams do not make good software reviewers and they are certainly not good at finding features within software.

"Blame the user" is an all-too-typical reaction. If motivated users can't find features within software, the documentation is insufficient.

I have found that really good software needs no documentation.  Just look at OS7 on the iPad.

That doesn't mean that every user should employ every one of an application's capabilities; well-designed systems enable users to choose the subset of functionality they need without paying a penalty in learning curve, release rate, or defect density for the functionality they aren't using.

As i said really good software has almost no learning curve and  it makes the core items very visible while sliding the other stuff into nice easy to access menus.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

I have found that really good software needs no documentation.  Just look at OS7 on the iPad.

As i said really good software has almost no learning curve and  it makes the core items very visible while sliding the other stuff into nice easy to access menus.

When I was developing the first public versions of DXLab applications, I eliminated top-of-window menus specifically because they hide functionality; I replaced them with a more graphical approach intended to facilitate intuitive use, as documented in this CQ Magazine article from 2002. Had early users disliked this approach, it would have been easy enough to revert to menus, but the user community expressed a strong preference for retaining the current scheme. Of course not everyone likes this approach, as Stan so frequently reminds us, but there is no user interface design that will please everyone.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: