Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what does hrd do verus dxlab?  (Read 28294 times)
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »

When DXLabs did not have the top menu bar, monitors were relatively expensive.  In 2002, a good quality 17" monitor was several hundred dollars.  A 19" or 21" monitor even more.  Resolution was also lower.  Monitor real estate was in high demand and in order to squeeze the maximum amount of information on the display all avenues were used.  DXLabs chose that route.

Today, many have 21" or even larger monitors, multiple monitors and resolutions of 1900 X 1080 (High Def) is included in all current PCs (either standard or as an option).  Heck, in my shack I have 8 monitors on 3 systems (4X19" on one system and the other two both have 2X22"), and another system with 2X28" monitors in another room.

Monitor resolution had nothing to do with the decision to not use top-of-window menus in DXLab, as is documented in the 2002 CQ Magazine article mentioned earlier in this thread.

Never said the decision was based on resolution.  Was just stating fact about costs and available resolution.  I have no insight into your decisions.  Can you get something correct Dave?
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »

I really don't need all the data presented in VOACAP data as DXLabs PropView presents.  The sunspot number, K and A index and MUF is all I need to know where and when to operate.

Few DXers remember which openings might be viable on a particular day of the year with the solar flux at a particular level. DXKeeper displays this information graphically, in a readily understandable manner:

One click for a short-path prediction; one click for a long-path prediction.

DXLabs says they can operate up to 4 rigs at a time.  Well, if you have the system to support it with monitors (desktop real estate) and processors, HRD will support 32.  

DXLab needs no additional screen space to automatically switch among 4 primary transceivers and control a 5th transceiver or SDR as a frequency/mode slave to the selected primary transceiver.

HRD will also provide over 5 times the listed digital modes as WinWarbler.

DXLab interoperates with FLDigi, MultiPSK, MMSSTV, MMVARI, MixW, JT-Alert, CWGet, CWSkimmer -- and DM-780.

The 2-Tone and MMTTY RTTY demodulators employed by WinWarbler offer strong weak signal performance valued by DXers, as well as diversity decoding.

In otherwords, to keep up with other products, you need to integrate them into your's.  So the statement that others offerings are better is correct.  Thanks.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »

If that's true, perhaps you can explain why users - including some who have already paid you $100 -- have been switching from your product to DXLab, publicly citing superior functionality.

I counted 2 since the release of Version 6.

If DXLab's functionality were as WA9PIE characterized it, no user would publicly admit to switching to it from a product for which they'd paid $100, least of all for better functionality.

Reviews are the tip of the iceberg, as everyone knows...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:08:10 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »

Done with Dave.  My time is more valuable and better spent.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »

Never said the decision was based on resolution.  Was just stating fact about costs and available resolution.  I have no insight into your decisions.  Can you get something correct Dave?

I assumed you were presenting those facts regarding costs and resolution for a reason; I won't make that mistake again.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »

In otherwords, to keep up with other products, you need to integrate them into your's.  So the statement that others offerings are better is correct. 

Providing open interfaces that enable interoperation with a wide range of complementary products is regarded by most ops as a feature, not a deficiency.

Being forced to reinvent the wheel within a closed system delays availability, and consumes resources that could otherwise be spent providing unique new value.

DXLab interoperates with more than 20 other amateur radio applications.
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2014, 08:11:46 PM »

If that's true, perhaps you can explain why users - including some who have already paid you $100 -- have been switching from your product to DXLab, publicly citing superior functionality.

I'm quite confident that there are more folks switching from your product to Ham Radio Deluxe.  I've done a number of the migrations for folks personally.  They're thrilled to have a less cluttered more intuitive and easy-to-use user interface.

So I'm not sure I can help you there.

By the way... I can't be responsible for those who have tried v5.x and decided to move to another product - given that the v5.x HRD Suite is not representative of the feature-rich and easy-to-use v6.x suite.

But overall... I got involved in this thread just because your baloney self-serving banter and promotion of your product here was going unchallenged.  Unlike Wikipedia - which prevents you from this kinda crap - I supposed you can say anything you want here and - if no one challenges you, the average person might assume it's true.

I'm kicking around the idea of recording a video for our YouTube channel that does a side-by-side comparison of both applications.  The only problem is... it might be hard for me to find software out there that does all the things that HRD does that your application lacks.  But regardless... our objective is to have more features that are very easy to use.  I'm pretty sure that folks can sort this out without you OR me on here engaging in shameless self-promotion that is only about 30% accurate (in your case, of course).

>>>Comments above

Mike, WA9PIE
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:14:44 PM by WA9PIE » Logged
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »

DXlab has 118 reviews..

HRD has 14,000 users

So with basic math, even if all 118 jumped, that would only be 0.0084285714285714%

118/14000

And we have 318 reviews.. 

So 200 more reviews.. and ours is now pay software

Our status 4.4
Dxlabs 4.8.

But the DXlabs user is normally not the customer of HRD. The DXlab user wants free software, and that's fine. Dave can have the free usersbase.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »

I'm kicking around the idea of recording a video for our YouTube channel that does a side-by-side comparison of both applications.  

I'll look forward to the part where you compare

• - immediately displaying tuner and amplifier settings for rapid QSY
  • - determining the operating pattern of "needed" DX stations
  • - displaying active DX stations (as opposed to raw spots), and highlight/announcing those with whom a QSO would would advance the user towards his or her specified DXCC, IOTA, Leaderboard, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX, award objectives
  • - automatically determining a DX station's split frequency and location from spot notes
  • - propagation prediction
  • - realtime analysis of current propagation
  • - weak signal RTTY decoding
  • - interoperation with CW Skimmer, MultiPSK, FLDigi, MixW, MMVARI, and MMSSTV
  • - language translation
  • - QSL route discovery
  • - automatically printing QSL cards and labels for QSOs whose confirmation would advance the user towards specified award objectives
  • - automatically addressing envelopes or printing address labels
  • - generating DXCC, IOTA, Marathon, and WPX submissions with associated paperwork

I'm sure you'll produce an objective, honest comparison that won't necessitate a "rebuttal video" that damages your credibility.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:53:02 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »

DXlab has 118 reviews..

HRD has 14,000 users

So with basic math, even if all 118 jumped, that would only be 0.0084285714285714%

118/14000

Reviews are the tip of the iceberg, as I'm sure you know.

DXlab user wants free software, and that's fine. Dave can have the free usersbase.

DXers choose DXLab because it's effective and reliable. Few would hesitate to spend $100 on a product with better capabilities.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:54:29 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 11:35:54 PM »

DXers choose DXLab because it's effective and reliable. Few would hesitate to spend $100 on a product with better capabilities.

DXers would be better served with a more powerful suite like HRD because it actually ACCELERATES DX achievement.

73 de Mike, WA9PIE
8BDXCC, CW, Phone, Digital, Challenge; WAZ (SSB, CW)... and more (all easy to track and pursue in HRD)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2014, 02:01:39 AM »

DXers would be better served with a more powerful suite like HRD because it actually ACCELERATES DX achievement.

73 de Mike, WA9PIE
8BDXCC, CW, Phone, Digital, Challenge; WAZ (SSB, CW)... and more (all easy to track and pursue in HRD)

the comparison of our DXing results speaks for itself (Honor Roll shown in red):

DXCCWA9PIEAA6YQ
Mixed334348
Phone271348
CW280346
RTTY117336
160m<100238
80m112308
40m165338
30m136318
20m245345
17m171337
15m209342
12m137329
10m144333
6m<100102
Challenge13922950
Honor Roll340

DXLab: Better DXing Through Software
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:23:28 AM by AA6YQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2014, 05:54:33 AM »

DXLab: Better DXing Through Software

Dave PLEASE stop embarrassing yourself. Even I am feeling badly for you..

But so long as there's an endless self-promoting developer on here writing endless advertisements for a program that is only marginally more advanced than a DOS app...

I got involved in this thread just because your baloney self-serving banter and promotion of your product here was going unchallenged.  Unlike Wikipedia - which prevents you from this kinda crap - I supposed you can say anything you want here and - if no one challenges you, the average person might assume it's true.

Mike, WA9PIE

K9IUQ has challenged Dave regularly. Dave gives out more B.S. than the politicians.
Yes it does get old having to read Daves endless self promoting.

I am hardly biased for HRD as Mike and Rick know. Go read my review of HRD here on eham. I do however have respect for what they are doing and someday may become a user of HRD. Certainly HRD is superior over DXLabs in functionality and usability. HRD is intuitive. No one has to read a long manual or take a college course to understand how to use HRD. OTOH DxLabs and intutitive can NOT be used in the same sentence. And SURPRISE - HRD actually looks like and works like a modern windows program, unlike the dated DXLabs confuser interface with ugly GUI.

Readers here may have noticed I have not tried to promote the Logger I use. This is because I am quite aware of the fact that every ham is different. Hams need to try all the free logger trials and determine what is right for them not what is right for AA6YQ or K9IUQ or any other Ham...

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:57:18 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »

Sorry, can't resist as this is typical of the DXLabs Author.

Dave,  the point I was making and was admittedly veiled in my post on monitor resolution is; technology changes.

DXLabs hasn't kept up.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:39 AM »

Read the post again, carefully. The updates bear new capabilities

but there is still plenty of new capability to be developed.

I read the original post just fine. I just did not want to say this:

DxLabs does NOT have the capabilities of many other loggers. This is the Real reason that DXlabs needs to constantly add "capabilities" - capabilities that other loggers already have.

DXLab, as is documented in the 2002 CQ Magazine article mentioned earlier in this thread.

Dave keeps referring to the CQ review in 2002. Hello Dave, it is now 2014 and DXlabs still looks like it was programmed in the 90's.

DXLabs hasn't kept up.

Yep, DxLabs was probably ok in 2002 - 12 years ago.
In 2002 I was using Logic Logger, a great logger that puts DxLabs to shame even in 2014.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:36:40 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: