Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what does hrd do verus dxlab?  (Read 24877 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »

The advantage of using FSK when operating the IC-7200 in RTTY is you can use the transceiver's excellent Twin Pass Filter (TPF), which is not available if using AFSK.

That's an interesting statement, about the twin pass filter, that I disagree with. I've had the chance to use both the K3 and IC-7200 twin pass filters with the most advanced RTTY decoding software (MMTTY and 2Tone) and feel the twin pass filters very much reduced the ability for me to get good print especially in adverse conditions such as flutter and fading.

My impression is that the twin pass filters are just too narrow, and their crazy group delays destroy phase information that the best decoders use to get good print in adverse conditions.

This part of the discussion probably belongs in "Digital" discussion group. But I do want to point out, how hugely great MMTTY and 2Tone are working in parallel as decoders in adverse conditions, they complement each other very nicely, and I now feel it is essential that both be available for any RTTY operations.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »

DxLabs does NOT have the capabilities of many other loggers.

Besides a satellite tracker, to what are you referring?

Dave keeps referring to the CQ review in 2002.

The CQ article wasn't a "review", it as an introductory article that I wrote. I referred to it because describes the rationale behind DXLab's "no top level menus" user interface.

In 2002 I was using Logic Logger, a great logger that puts DxLabs to shame even in 2014.

None of the many ex-Logic users now using DXLab would agree with you.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »

None of the many ex-Logic users now using DXLab would agree with you.

At a $130 price tag for Logic 9 and $89 to upgrade it has pretty much priced it's self out of the market. I understand why Logic users have fled to a different logger. Dxlabs (at a free price and with a horrible dated GUI) looks very good compared to Logics price.

I started using Logic Jr in the early 90's. I upgraded thru the years to Logic 8. When Logic 9 came out I tried the free Demo. I could not see much if any difference between Logic 8 or Logic 9. Logic also changed their up grade policy to $89 which I felt was ridiculous. At that time I decided to stop using Logic 8 and find something else with a more reasonable upgrade policy. I tried just about every  logger that was free or had a free trial, including DxLabs.

I still own Logic 8 and Dxlabs. Both are on the hardrive. I just do not use them as there are better logger alternatives.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:03:32 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »

the comparison of our DXing results speaks for itself (Honor Roll shown in red):

DXCCWA9PIEAA6YQ
Mixed334348
Phone271348
CW280346
RTTY117336
160m<100238
80m112308
40m165338
30m136318
20m245345
17m171337
15m209342
12m137329
10m144333
6m<100102
Challenge13922950
Honor Roll340

DXLab: Better DXing Through Software

OMG  Undecided Undecided  Just when I thought I had seen it all on eHam I see this post.
This is a sad case of bragging and being just plain childish to try and win an argument.  What on earth could a personal DXCC have to do with who's software is better. Huh  
What's next!  Unzipping your fly, whipping it out and saying see my software is better  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2014, 10:09:17 AM »

The CQ article wasn't a "review", it as an introductory article that I wrote. I referred to it because describes the rationale behind DXLab's "no top level menus" user interface.

Ahhh, now I understand. You had to rationale (spin) why Dxlabs had such a dated and ugly GUI interface. And this was in 2002.

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:15 AM »

OMG  Undecided Undecided  Just when I thought I had seen it all on eHam I see this post.
This is a sad case of bragging and being just plain childish to try and win an argument.  What on earth could a personal DXCC have to do with who's software is better. Huh  

Indeed.. Sad, really sad.

Dave PLEASE stop embarrassing yourself. Even I am feeling badly for you..

The really sad thing is Dave does not realize what he is doing to his creditability.

Stan K9IUQ

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »

If DXLab's functionality were as WA9PIE characterized it, no user would publicly admit to switching to it from a product for which they'd paid $100, least of all for better functionality.

Reviews are the tip of the iceberg, as everyone knows...

Are you kidding me!   I worked for a company and our competitor had his employee's buying our product and then had them going onto the internet to create havoc for us on our forums.  Meanwhile the owner was busy reverse engineering it and making a new model that incorporated our features.  (We learned the extent of what was going on when he shafted one of his own employees and they then came out and told us everything)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:23:43 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 10:25:49 AM »

The really sad thing is Dave does not realize what he is doing to his creditability.
Stan K9IUQ

How can you not realize how childish that is? 
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »

This is a sad case of bragging and being just plain childish to try and win an argument.  

No, it's a case of responding to WA9PIE's post, where he listed his DXing accomplishments as evidence of his product's superiority.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »

Are you kidding me!   I worked for a company and our competitor had his employee's buying our product and then had them going onto the internet to create havoc for us on our forums.  Meanwhile the owner was busy reverse engineering it and making a new model that incorporated our features.  (We learned the extent of what was going on when he shafted one of his own employees and they then came out and told us everything)

DXLab is a free product. There are no employees; there are only users.

Anyone can contact the authors of those reviews and assess the credibility of their claims.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »

I just do not use them as there are better logger alternatives.

I'm sure readers have noted the total absence of specifics in your posts.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »

The advantage of using FSK when operating the IC-7200 in RTTY is you can use the transceiver's excellent Twin Pass Filter (TPF), which is not available if using AFSK.

That's an interesting statement, about the twin pass filter, that I disagree with. I've had the chance to use both the K3 and IC-7200 twin pass filters with the most advanced RTTY decoding software (MMTTY and 2Tone) and feel the twin pass filters very much reduced the ability for me to get good print especially in adverse conditions such as flutter and fading.

My impression is that the twin pass filters are just too narrow, and their crazy group delays destroy phase information that the best decoders use to get good print in adverse conditions.

That is certainly true in some conditions. In other conditions, I have found the Twin Pass Filter to be extremely helpful.

This part of the discussion probably belongs in "Digital" discussion group. But I do want to point out, how hugely great MMTTY and 2Tone are working in parallel as decoders in adverse conditions, they complement each other very nicely, and I now feel it is essential that both be available for any RTTY operations.

DXLab's WinWarbler includes both the MMTTY and 2Tone decoders. You can have them both the same signal (diversity decoding), or if you have a transceiver with "dual receive" or a second receiver, you can have one decode a DX station while the other decodes the pileup.

Dave, AA6YQ
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »

DXCCWA9PIEAA6YQ
Mixed334348
Phone271348
CW280346
RTTY117336
160m<100238
80m112308
40m165338
30m136318
20m245345
17m171337
15m209342
12m137329
10m144333
6m<100102
Challenge13922950
Honor Roll340

DXLab: Better DXing Through Software

Yeah, but you're quite a bit older than I am, Dave... and you're the developer of your own software... so it's natural for you to know how to get past the confusing UI better than the rest of us.

Just sayin...
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »

The latest NCJ has some related comments in the RTTY Contesting column. In particular, he notes that 2Tone does not benefit from a narrow filter. I've started running the radio's filter a bit wider (unless there is QRM very nearby) for 2Tone, and using WW's BPF for MMTTY.

I'll toss in my 2 cents to the HRD/DXLab discussion.

I started out using HRD. It worked well enough, and I certainly didn't make use of all of its features, so I can't really address that. The thing that got me was trying to work my first Easter I. The guy was only working RTTY and I had never tried that. He was working split and I could not get HRD to split. I did manage one QSO using an awful kluge of two radios and jumping HRD back and forth between them. What a nightmare. I don't know if it couldn't do split RTTY or I was just too dumb to figure it out (intuitive interface?), but after that I switched to DXLab.

I've been very happy with DXLab. It does everything I want and more than I need. It's main focus is DXing and chasing awards. It does not try to be all things to all people. Maybe some see that as a weakness. I like the interface and the interacting apps. I usually don't have everything up at the same time, only what I need, but any feature is only a click away.  I didn't especially care for HRD's old-time radio display. What's the use of making it look like a radio when I'm choosing to use the computer? In fact, my radio looks more like a computer than HRD does. I also remember being frustrated by trying to dock and resize things within HRD's main window.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »

Yeah, but you're quite a bit older than I am, Dave.

I got my Novice ticket in 1990, so those DXing results were accomplished in 23 years. When were you licensed, Mike?

.. and you're the developer of your own software... so it's natural for you to know how to get past the confusing UI better than the rest of us.

There are many DXLab users well up in the DXCC standings. Like Don AA5AU, for example, whose review of DXLab is publicly available.

Your claim that DXLab's user interface is "confusing" is that of a desperate competitor slinging mud.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: