Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what does hrd do verus dxlab?  (Read 28200 times)
W4RS

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »

i have an ic-7200 that i need to hook up to some software. does hrd have its own version of a sound card? i know dxlab will link to winwarbler for cw. can you send cw from hrd. the web site is kinda sparce on what hrd will do.i am leaning to the dxlab as everything is explained.
tks, jim du3/w4rs
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:19:07 PM by W4RS » Logged
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

Jim,
Yes, you can send CW from HRD although the decode only works well when receiving from keyers or other computers.
Remember that HRD 6.x is paid software, a purchase price plus an optional yearly support fee.
HRD 5.x is free, but unsupported.. It's not available on the HRD website, but a little internet searching will find the folks who have v5 still available.

HRD will work with the soundcard you supply, either the one in your computer or something like a Signalink or West Mountain Radio. HRD is only software, they don't supply hardware.

Yes, you are also correct, the HRD website does a very poor job of telling you just what all their software does.. They just refer you to endless release notes which only refer to the incremental changes to the program..
What you'll need to do is download their manuals.. They're free and fairly well written, albeit lots there to read.

In any case, good luck.
73!
Bill AB9TA
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »

HRD 5.x is free, but unsupported..

Unsupported by HRD, but there are plenty of v5 users here and on QRZ.com. The last free version is 5.24.36 and can be found at: http://www.iw5edi.com/software/ham-radio-deluxe-5-download-links

I do not know if this is still the issue with the paid versions, but with the free version, the CW transmit line has to be on a different Com Port than the one used for rig control. This is true CW, not MCW.

The only other "shortcoming" of the free version is that it will not do FSK RTTY. This really isn't that big of a deal for me since DM780 (the HRD digital interface program) does AFSK RTTY. If I need to run FSK RTTY, I can still use MMTTY... which is also free.

I suppose that one day I will let 100 moths escape from my wallet and upgrade to the paid version, but for now, I have a bunch of Christmas bills to pay off... along with all my property taxes! Ugh!
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »

n0iu, i have shed the huge property tax bills and its my choice to reside here in the philippines. does the ic7200 have the built in soundcard?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »

Yes, the IC-7200 has a built-in soundcard. I have an IC-7410 and it works the same way. The USB connection is used for both CI-V rig control and audio to and from the radio so you don't need an outboard sound card to do the digital modes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:44:52 PM by N0IU » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »

HRD 5.x is free, but unsupported..
The only other "shortcoming" of the free version is that it will not do FSK RTTY. This really isn't that big of a deal for me since DM780 (the HRD digital interface program) does AFSK RTTY. If I need to run FSK RTTY, I can still use MMTTY... which is also free.

The advantage of using FSK when operating the IC-7200 in RTTY is you can use the transceiver's excellent Twin Pass Filter (TPF), which is not available if using AFSK. FSK operation does require a simple external interface, whereas AFSK requires only the USB connection between PC and transceiver.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

i have an ic-7200 that i need to hook up to some software. does hrd have its own version of a sound card? i know dxlab will link to winwarbler for cw. can you send cw from hrd. the web site is kinda sparce on what hrd will do.i am leaning to the dxlab as everything is explained.
tks, jim du3/w4rs

DXLab is free and fully supported: reported defects are generally corrected within 24 hours, keeping the backlog of reported but uncorrected defects at 0 or 1. On average, I make a new feature-bearing release each week, and have been doing so for the past 13 years.

A list of DXLab's unique capabilities is available here. DXLab is a a suite of interoperating applications, so you can start with one or two, and augment them at your own pace.

An introduction including pointers to all documentation is available here.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask, Jim.

Dave, AA6YQ
W4RS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 12:08:16 AM »

hi dave,
pleasure to meet you. i am like your program very much, i have looked at it and the doc. first, can you just open what programs you want? does it use the soundcard in the 7200 for psk31 and other modes? i have been useing dx4win forever, since its start. very stable program for loging. it holds now 18,345 contacts, boy it takes a lot for 5 band dxcc, hee hee.i run yaesu , 1000d, 1000mp. 890, 847. bought this 7200 to run as a digi radio. your instructions are very clear on how to set up radio's to your program. i used to use a kam plus for ritty, but packterm is no longer an option. so looking to do ritty with the 7200. the radio will be dedicated to digi modes. thanks for the help, do you ever sleep?
jim du3/w4rs
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »

hi dave,
pleasure to meet you. i am like your program very much, i have looked at it and the doc. first, can you just open what programs you want?

Yes. The applications you run will automatically detect each other's presence, and interoperate accordingly. If there's a core group of applications you use, you can configure the Launcher to start them with a single click.

does it use the soundcard in the 7200 for psk31 and other modes?

You can use the 7200's soundcard for PSK31 and RTTY AFSK.

i have been useing dx4win forever, since its start. very stable program for loging. it holds now 18,345 contacts, boy it takes a lot for 5 band dxcc, hee hee.i run yaesu , 1000d, 1000mp. 890, 847. bought this 7200 to run as a digi radio.

You can control up to 4 primary transceivers, switch among them either automatically as a function of frequency, or by mouse click; you can also setup a 5th transceiver to track the currently-selected primary transceiver's frequency and mode.

your instructions are very clear on how to set up radio's to your program. i used to use a kam plus for ritty, but packterm is no longer an option. so looking to do ritty with the 7200.

WinWarbler supports the KAM plus -- you can use it for RTTY and CW if you like.

You are welcome to join the DXLab Yahoo Group.

Dave, AA6YQ
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »

NO1U;

I also have the IC-7410.

Use the SignaLink USB-interface and FLdigi-software.  I operate digital modes: Olivia & PSK.  I use the built-in soundcard, supplied with the SignaLink USB.  For me, never any problems in these modes; but plan on trying RTTY & MFSK.

Also, use SSB, AM. CW (but NOT too often)

Ken KC8Y

W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »

If you're just looking at Digital modes..  HRD has 12 modes in 6.1.4 (in 6.2 we're adding a surprise 13th mode).

HRD decodes and sends CW, RTTY, PSK, QPSK, Contestia ,DominoEx, Hell, MFSK, MT-63, Olivia, RTTYM, Thor and Throb.

You also have the access to the sub modes of those modes, like USB CW, FSK, PSK-XXX, etc.

HRD be downloaded and tried for 30 days free with full tech support (phone, email and tickets) during the trial.

Rick

W4PC
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 07:58:32 PM »

DXLab interoperates with MultiPSK, FLDigi, JT-Alert, MMTTY, MMVARI, MMSSTV, MixW, CWGet, CWSkimmer, and DM780; few interactive digital modes used by hams aren't supported by one or more of these applications, the majority of which are free.

DXLab is entirely free.

Reported defects are generally corrected within 24 hours. The backlog of reported but uncorrected defects across the entire DXLab Suite is 0.

During the month of December 2013, there were 7 feature-bearing updates to DXLab applications. Updates are automated, and typically take less than a minute over high-speed internet.

See what users have to say.

Dave, AA6YQ

HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »

Ham Radio Deluxe is a crappy digital modes program.
It hy jacks your computer and it installs programs that are mostly hidden that you will have a real hard time deleting unless you have a software program such as REVO to remove it.

Even if you try to delete it and install another digital program such as FlDigi, it will interfere with how it works and you will have problems as long as the artifacts are still in your computer.

FlDigi is the only program that supports the other programs necessary to do NBEMS such as Flarq and Flamp...

As far as regular digital programs goes, a good program to install is MultiPSK....  The sound card is a hardware the program is a software.  Two totally different things, like tires and gasoline.

Either your radio has a sound card interface or you have to use a interface such as the Signalink.  Either your radio has the ports for digital modes or you have to connect the Signalink directly to a mic port and speakers.

You don't have to have a Signalink to receive digital modes and feed them into your computer.  I have done it with a simple patch cord from the speaker output on the radio to the mic input on the computer, you just have to reduce the volume so you don't ruin the sound card in the computer.

The Signalink allows you to use a USB port on the computer.

That is about the only difference.

I have seen people that has held their walkie talkie up to the computer speaker and the radio speaker up to the computer microphone and was able to send and receive digital modes.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »

Ham Radio Deluxe is a crappy digital modes program.
It hy jacks your computer and it installs programs that are mostly hidden that you will have a real hard time deleting unless you have a software program such as REVO to remove it.

Even if you try to delete it and install another digital program such as FlDigi, it will interfere with how it works and you will have problems as long as the artifacts are still in your computer.

You have some form of proof of this completely false and outlandish allegation?  Did you download HRD from the HRD website or get it from some other place?

I have installed EVERY version of HRD including a whole bunch that have never been released to the general public and have NEVER had any hidden software that hijacked my computer.  NEVER!!!
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »

I have never had any issues with HRD either. But HRD is mostly a front end for all of it's features. DM780 does all of the work for the digital modes. If you don't need to communicate with a transceiver and don't want all the other frills, you can run DM780 stand alone.

The only hidden files I have found are the configuration files. They are usually stored in "AppData" which is by default, hidden. Just about every application I know of uses that directory. I just make it unhidden so I can edit the XML files for HRD and DM780.

I use one of the old free versions of HRD. It connects to my IC-735 just fine. My CIV interface is a little home brew 4 transistor circuit that runs from a serial port. If I am not using it with my IC-735, I still leave HRD running for the log connection.

But I don't have to use HRD. I have DigiPan, EhoCW, FLdigi, Airlink Express, and a few other also installed. I don't run them at the same time, but they all function properly and work through the same ports that HRD uses. With the exception of the serial port that talks to the IC-735. I keep that separate. My interface to the sound card in the PC is a couple of shielded cables with appropriate connectors. PTT and CW keying is done by a USB to Serial port converter and a 1 transistor interface.

I have downloaded DXLab, but I haven't had time to take it for a spin.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: