Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD+ windows 8.1 + ts570D = huge problem  (Read 7595 times)
N0NZG

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »

OK , so I didn’t know what to put in the subject line so I vented a little bit. I am having a horrible time getting HRD  on my windows 8.1 laptop to talk to my TS-570D.  I am using an FTDI based usb to serial converter , I have the most current drivers , the speed on the radio and com port are synced up 9600, n , 1 etc, however I can’t get HRD to ever read the frequency and connect to the radio.  I have tried  the Prolific based converters as well with no luck and that’s why after much research I ordered the FTDI  based converters.  I have tried 4 different converters  all say they are working  in windows ,but still no luck. HRD  says to turn off the Kenwood packet mode, I have no idea what that is or if it even applies to a TS-570d.  Are there  any tricks to get this combo to play right.  I am using the most recent version of HRD.  I put in a help ticket with them ,but who knows when or if I will get any response that way.  Anyone have any good ideas??

73, Jeremy N0NZG
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »

Have you tried posting you problems in the HRD forums? http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/index.php

They've always got back to me when I had a problem.

Have you tried a real serial port assuming you have a desktop computer? Serial cards are not that expensive.

List of support options

http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/showthread.php?28280-Improvements-to-HRD-support-(FYI)

Considering the Holidays it might take a bit longer to get back to you.

Todd
AD7VB
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:12:54 PM by AD7VB » Logged
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:03:45 PM »

Have you tried posting you problems in the HRD forums? http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/index.php

They've always got back to me when I had a problem.

Have you tried a real serial port assuming you have a desktop computer? Serial cards are not that expensive.

List of support options

http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/showthread.php?28280-Improvements-to-HRD-support-(FYI)

Considering the Holidays it might take a bit longer to get back to you.

Todd
AD7VB

Todd,

Thanks for the fast response.  Yes, I am searching all of the edges of the old inter webs to find a solution.  I expected a delay due to the holidays etc.  I though I might get lucky and someone here on eham might know a obvious step I missed or something.  I thought I might try dx lab while I wait.  I only have 21 days left on the free trial and thats the only reason I had any urgency.  IF I can't get hrd to play that must mean its time to go play with the kids anyway.  Happy New Year!!
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »

I thought I might try dx lab while I wait. 

I'd be happy to help you get your TS-570D working with DXLab. Feel free to contact me via aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave, AA6YQ
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:16:36 AM »

Did the com work on Win 7 or XP? What operating system was HRD working properly?
We always had problems with newer computers (faster) connecting to older radios. I worked in a Kenwood communications shop.
What I'm saying is, does Win 8 offer a compatibility function? My wife's Win 8 has USB 3.0 ports. 9600 is a really slow speed for computers today.
Fred
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »

No reason to use DXLabs or any other software. Tim is on your ticket today. and yes, it works fine with the 570.. normally it's just a config issue. as we have almost 13,000 paid users now.. and 99% of those issues are just config.

You get free support for your 30 day demo...  as with all the customers.

Yes, the FTDI chipset is the right one...

and yes, prolifics suck...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:05:04 AM by W4PC » Logged
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »

Todd,

Thanks for the fast response.  Yes, I am searching all of the edges of the old inter webs to find a solution.  I expected a delay due to the holidays etc.  I though I might get lucky and someone here on eham might know a obvious step I missed or something.  I thought I might try dx lab while I wait.  I only have 21 days left on the free trial and thats the only reason I had any urgency.  IF I can't get hrd to play that must mean its time to go play with the kids anyway.  Happy New Year!!

Well, I was in our trouble ticket system last night until about 3am EST responding to tickets.  I didn't see yours specifically, but I'm happy to help - if given the chance... or a member of our support staff can help.

We just made an announcement on our Forums, on Yahoo Groups, and will be sending this out to registered users via our Newsletter, but we have improved the overall support process.  

And there are FOUR ways to reach us:

Web trouble tickets: http://tickets.hrdsoftwarellc.com (which sends you a confirmation email and tracks status)
Email: support@hrdsoftwarellc.com (which goes into the trouble ticket system and sends a response back)
Peer Support: http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com (where like-minded hams in multiple time zones help each other)
Phone support: (813)-434-4667 (where our staff take your calls across multiple time zones)

Posting on an eHam forum isn't one of them.

Mike, WA9PIE
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 10:06:28 AM by WA9PIE » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »

I'd be happy to help you get your TS-570D working with DXLab.
         Dave, AA6YQ

No reason to use DXLabs or any other software.

Dave NEVER misses an opportunity to advertise his DxLabs.

The thread Title is "HRD+ windows 8.1" It has absolutely nothing to do with DXLabs, yet Dave never gives up on pushing his (really) ugly GUI and Confuser Interface DxLabs.

Stan K9IUQ

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »

I never cared for HRD as I find it too bloated. I call it Ham Radio Disaster.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 10:22:20 AM »

I never cared for HRD as I find it too bloated. I call it Ham Radio Disaster.

Here we go... the debate begins.

HRD - with ALL six applications in the suite running against a logbook of 5,000+ consumes LESS machine resources (CPU and memory... and probably disk) than Google Chrome.  That's a full-blown fact.  On my machine, the full HRD suite consumes about 200MB of memory and 200MB of disk space - with all the apps running... with the CPU generally less than 5-10 percent.

It's easy to verify this... step 1; abandon Windows Task Manager (doesn't provide much detail) and step 2; run Process Explorer from SysInternals....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

...then, sort the running applications by name so that Google Chrome and others are adjacent...

If you've got Google Chrome installed... along with HRD... you'll find that HRD consumes less resources than Chrome and probably isn't the most "bloated" application running on the computer.

As for the size of the installer - because we develop in Microsoft Visual Studio (rather than a more limited Visual Basic language), we have to include the VS runtime in the installer.  That beefs up the size of the installer a bit (100MB), but you can always delete it after the install.  Most other logbook installers are at least 20-30MB... but they aren't full suites (most lack digital modes, satellite tracking apps, rich-featured rotator app... and so on).

This isn't a debate... just facts, for clarification.

Mike, WA9PIE
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »

Dave NEVER misses an opportunity to advertise his DxLabs.

The thread Title is "HRD+ windows 8.1" It has absolutely nothing to do with DXLabs

Try re-reading N0NZG's second post, where he said : "I thought I might try dx lab while I wait."

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »

Try re-reading N0NZG's second post, where he said : "I thought I might try dx lab while I wait."

And of course you jumped right on it, cutting and pasting your usual incessant advertising into the conversation. I say try them all. All loggers have a free trial. Any Intelligent ham will pick a logger that actually functions and looks like a Windows program and does not require a college course to figure out..

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »

I call it Ham Radio Disaster.

Is this what you also call the pictures of your Vertical Antenna on your QRZ.com web page? That picture really gives an insight to your thinking and opinions..  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Your vertical and DxLabs have something in common - both are Ugly.  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:26:00 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »

Well, rereading the post somewhat explains why this happened.

We send out support information to REGISTERED users.  This was a TRIAL.  SO... I can fix that REAL easy.

I can make sure that the splash screen or some notice at the beginning of the trial offers FREE support to folks who are in the 30 day trial window.  After all, you may as well try out support AS WELL AS the product.

But we don't provide support via eham.  That said - I don't fault folks for asking their peers for assistance in eham.  I do that myself with other products.  But we've got PLENTY of users who have HRD + Windows 8.x + TS570D... and it sure doesn't = "huge problem" for them.  It was the inference that (a) these things are faulty and (b) support is unresponsive that I wanted to clarify.

Jeremy, contact us at support@hrdsoftwarellc.com and we'll see what we can do to help... or others on our forum may also be able to assist (http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com).

Mike, WA9PIE
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »

And of course you jumped right on it, cutting and pasting your usual incessant advertising into the conversation.

"I'd be happy to help you get your TS-570D working with DXLab. Feel free to contact me via aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com" is not advertising; it's just a simple offer of assistance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: