Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD+ windows 8.1 + ts570D = huge problem  (Read 10358 times)
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »

And of course you jumped right on it, cutting and pasting your usual incessant advertising into the conversation. I say try them all. All loggers have a free trial. Any Intelligent ham will pick a logger that actually functions and looks like a Windows program and does not require a college course to figure out..

Stan K9IUQ

The big difference is that HRD Software, LLC is creating jobs and providing revenue to the hamfests, ham magazine and websites by buying ads and attending hamfests.  We're not a one man band, but a full company, with 13 contractors and 13,000 + paid users.

Examples of why one man band companies dont work are Winpack/UIView from Roger Barker, and TaborSoft by Jim Tabor.  Both of these fine hams are SK, but all their work is gone. Roger told his family to destroy the source code and I offered to buy the source from Jim's family, but they were unwilling to sell. Both products are now abandonware and many hams who purchased the software are left on their own.

If something happens to me, HRD goes on, as well as ROC for TNCs, PakRatt source, etc.  The Roc and pakratt stuff go to Timewave and HRD goes to Mike  and Randy.So if I died tomorrow, HRD would continue.

I also find it funny some people use 3rd grade name calling to degrade things they dont like... it's fine if they dont like it, for every one of those, we have 100 paid customers...

BTW, our renewal rate for 2014 is at a staggering 80%!!!  That just blows me away, since most upgrades are in the 20%-30% range.  The hams are what is allowing HRD to grow. Again, we are making money, but not to a profit point yet.  We continue to invest increasing revenue back into the company.

One of those things is attending more hamfests. We have Puerto Rico in Jan, followed by Miami, followed by Orlando... then we have a break until March....

HRD will also be at Dayton and we have a SATURDAY forum this year... 

In July, we'll be at ARRL 2014... thats the 17th to the 20th in CT.. 

All in all, a real busy year is ahead for the HRD team.

Rick - W4PC

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:53:07 PM by W4PC » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »

The big difference is

Examples of why one man band companies dont work are Winpack/UIView from Roger Barker, and TaborSoft by Jim Tabor.  Both of these fine hams are SK, but all their work is gone.
 many hams who purchased the software are left on their own.

All in all, a real busy year is ahead for the HRD team.

Rick - W4PC

One of the big differences between HRD and other logger programmers is you and Mike do not constantly try to push your product on the eham Forum. No incessant advertising every time someone starts a thread about loggers. You do it the right way. You pay $$ to advertise instead of promoting HRD in every logger thread.

Dave AA6YQ needs to learn to back off on this constant promoting of DXLabs on eham. It does not serve him well, many hams like me just get tired of him telling  us how great his program is - over and over and over and over. If a log program is great, hams can figure out by themselves if the logger is suitable for them. Just take advantage of the trial. We do not need AA6YQ constantly telling us DXLabs is the best logger. It is very far from being a great logger. It is free and he has a large following because of this. Free will always attract hams, all of us are cheap.

I found your reference to UiView and Wincap/Beacon Wizard (Taborsoft) interesting. I owned all these programs and used them for many years. I had many pleasant emails with Jim Tabor concerning how to do this or that with his programs. I highly respected him, he should be a model for all ham programmers.

I like HRD, but as many here know it was not for me - at this time. It lacks features I have grown to like with Commcat logger. BTW, Howard Nurse came from the Jim Tabor mold. Howard's support of Commcat is second to nobody.

I do have respect for HRD LLC and what it is trying to accomplish. HRD has many features that no other logger can match and it has an interface that is easy to figure out. On top of that it actually looks like a Windows 7/8 program, not something from Win 3..

Hopefully HRD will someday fit my needs and I will become a paying customer again.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:37:22 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »

The big difference is that HRD Software, LLC is creating jobs and providing revenue to the hamfests, ham magazine and websites by buying ads and attending hamfests.  We're not a one man band, but a full company, with 13 contractors and 13,000 + paid users.

Examples of why one man band companies dont work are Winpack/UIView from Roger Barker, and TaborSoft by Jim Tabor.  Both of these fine hams are SK, but all their work is gone. Roger told his family to destroy the source code and I offered to buy the source from Jim's family, but they were unwilling to sell. Both products are now abandonware and many hams who purchased the software are left on their own.

Things must really be going well if you have to resort to scare tactics, Rick. Hiring contractors rather than full-time employees doesn't exude confidence either.

I'm only 61, but legal arrangements are in place to ensure that DXLab will always be available, aggressively moving forward, and free.

DXers don't acquire software to stimulate the economy or hang screen shots on their living room wall. DXers acquire software that enables them to efficiently find and work needed DX, minimizing their time spent on paperwork to maximize their time spent "on the hunt". It's these capabilities that attract DXers to DXLab. Anyone seeking independent substantiation is welcome to join the DXLab Yahoo Group and directly ask the many ex-HRD users there. Or check the DXCC Challenge and DXCC Honor Roll standings...
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »

I found your reference to UiView and Wincap/Beacon Wizard (Taborsoft) interesting. I owned all these programs and used them for many years. I had many pleasant emails with Jim Tabor concerning how to do this or that with his programs. I highly respected him, he should be a model for all ham programmers.

I like HRD, but as many here know it was not for me - at this time. It lacks features I have grown to like with Commcat logger. BTW, Howard Nurse came from the Jim Tabor mold. Howard's support of Commcat is second to nobody.

I knew Jim and Roger for years, and have the utmost respect for Howard Nurse. Without him, there would be no Commcat for the iPad which works with HRD Radio control.  Howard is one of the few programmers who is a programmer first and a ham second.

I do wish Jim's family had sold us the code. We could have added it into HRD for a better ham experience.  You know, HRD is more than for Dxers.  More that 1/2 use it just for digital contacts and really dont care about Awards...  about 20% just use it for radio control, which really surprised me. 

Rick W4PC
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »

If a log program is great, hams can figure out by themselves if the logger is suitable for them. Just take advantage of the trial. We do not need AA6YQ constantly telling us DXLabs is the best logger.

I do not make comparisons between DXLab and its competitors, nor do I post claims of superiority. I simply describe DXLab's capabilities.

It is free and he has a large following because of this. Free will always attract hams, all of us are cheap.

Speak for yourself. Most DXers recognize the value of their time, and would willingly pay for software that enhanced their effectiveness, and enabled them to spend more time working needed DX and less time listening where there is likely no opening, or juggling files between multiple applications to get QSL cards or labels printed and their envelopes addressed. Many users moved to DXLab from products they purchased.

DXers don't use DXLab because it's free, they use it because it's reliable and effective.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:08:08 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »

Just leave him alone, Rick. He alway looks petty and would argue the color of the sky.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »

I never cared for HRD as I find it too bloated. I call it Ham Radio Disaster.

Here we go... the debate begins.

HRD - with ALL six applications in the suite running against a logbook of 5,000+ consumes LESS machine resources (CPU and memory... and probably disk) than Google Chrome.  That's a full-blown fact.  On my machine, the full HRD suite consumes about 200MB of memory and 200MB of disk space - with all the apps running... with the CPU generally less than 5-10 percent.

And why are we comparing HRD to  browser??  Needing only 200 meg to run is nothing to brag about at all.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »

Back to the topic at hand..

The problem was the prolific drivers and Tim got him up and running.

He's a very happy ham right now.

So, end of discussion...  Ham is fixed, ham happy, ham has HRD. Smiley

WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

And why are we comparing HRD to  browser??  Needing only 200 meg to run is nothing to brag about at all.

It's all relative, I guess.  Among other things running on my machine that take up a considerable footprint of memory:
Skype 130MB
Windows Live Mail Client 670MB
iTunes 150MB
Outlook 320MB (yes, I run two clients to keep certain things separate)
Windows Explorer 160MB
Dropbox 130MB

But WOW... Google Chrome is presently running something approaching 1GB RAM.  WOW!

It's all relative.  But as a whole, HRD consumes about as much memory as anything else running on the average machine.

Mike, WA9PIE
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:41:52 PM by WA9PIE » Logged
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:24 PM »

As a consumer I can appreciate people from both the DX labs and HRD camps running to my aid during during the holiday season. Tim (KB3NPH) From HRD was kind enough to call me tonight and dial into my computer to fix my configuration problems as well as help me try out some of the HRD features that I was needing to use.  Tim is VERY professional and knowledgeable when it comes to his product and its use, he did a great job.

On the technical side here is what the deal was. HRD works great with Windows 8.1 and Kenwood radios.  As they indicate on their web page and help resources the Prolific chip based USB to serial converters don't play well with windows 8 or 8.1. The FTDI chip based converters  DO work well.

COMMON PROBLEM 1: I had prolific drivers installed  along with the FTDI ones and they don't work well together

SOLUTION: Removed the Prolific drivers.

COMMON PROBLEM #2 :  HRD doesn't play well with several leading anti virus utilities,because They block internal ports that HRD need access to ,to communicate between modulus.

SOLUTION: Uninstalled Norton anti-virus and install Microsoft Security essentials

THE REAL PROBLEM:  The serial extension cable I was using between the radio and the USB to serial adapter  turned out to be a null modem cable that has the tx and rx lines crossed between the ends.

SOLUTION:  Plug the USB to serial converter directly into the radio with a gender changer. 

The title to this tread should correctly read :  Ham who does realize he is using a null modem cable + wrong drivers + HRD =  Self  Inflected  Pain and frustration.

I was dis heartened and frustrated when I put up my first post asking for help.  Thankfully the HRD crew watches the forums for guys like me that need help with their product.  I can say that the excellent phone and email support at 10pm on a Saturday night during the holidays  that I got from HRD makes up for all the pain and suffering I caused myself.
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »

Jeremy,

I really appreciate you taking the time to post this. It's our goal to provide great service. To be honest, we didn't do that well in the beginning.  But since adding Tim (Jim, Jose, Chris... and others), support is really improved and I'm glad you were able to experience this as part of the trail.  Whether you decide to become one of our customers or not, I appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

On a related note... what I have found, in supporting a number of users... and after doing several hundred installs of HRD each year on every operating system since Windows XP SP3, is this...

I've never had a problem installing HRD and getting it going on any machine I've ever installed it on.  That's the first thing.

The second thing is - probably more than 90% of the time, when we're given a chance to connect and resolve installation issues for people, it's cases exactly like this... which likely would have causes problems installing ANY similar product.  But we end up cleaning up the machine... almost like those XM radio commercials ("DoubleMySpeed.com") or something... and get the software working.

Are we perfect?  Absolutely not!  No one is.  But as I tell the folks who work for me, "I have no expectation of perfection, only of continual improvement."  And that is exactly what we're doing.

Mike, WA9PIE
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 05:13:08 AM »

And why are we comparing HRD to  browser??  Needing only 200 meg to run is nothing to brag about at all.

It's all relative, I guess.  Among other things running on my machine that take up a considerable footprint of memory:
Skype 130MB
Windows Live Mail Client 670MB
iTunes 150MB
Outlook 320MB (yes, I run two clients to keep certain things separate)
Windows Explorer 160MB
Dropbox 130MB

But WOW... Google Chrome is presently running something approaching 1GB RAM.  WOW!

It's all relative.  But as a whole, HRD consumes about as much memory as anything else running on the average machine.

Mike, WA9PIE

You need to close and reboot apps as the memory usage is way to high. Many apps leak in extra memory over time and browsers especially. Outlook should use about 30 meg as mine does tracking 5 email accounts. When browser starts using more than 200 to 300 meg it is time to close and relaunch it. Your numbers are way too high.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:33 AM »

Your numbers are way too high.

Unless you are running Win XP with 2gb of memory what difference does it make? Modern computers have 4GB plus of memory.Worrying about memory usage is as useless as a vertical without radials.....

Stan K9IUQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 06:09:30 AM »

Your numbers are way too high.

Unless you are running Win XP with 2gb of memory what difference does it make? Modern computers have 4GB plus of memory.Worrying about memory usage is as useless as a vertical without radials.....

Stan K9IUQ

The difference is speed and efficiency. By default Windoze will make a swap file bigger than amount of RAM installed and when apps use a lot of memory it pages a lot of code to hard drive unless you manually limit swap file which means it can slow down. You would know this if you really understood how Windoze uses and leaks memory

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »

The difference is speed and efficiency. By default Windoze will make a swap file bigger than amount of RAM installed and when apps use a lot of memory it pages a lot of code to hard drive unless you manually limit swap file which means it can slow down. You would know this if you really understood how Windoze uses and leaks memory

I do understand how to use Google. If you would use Google instead of relying on your flawed opinions you would find: "The Windows page file is somewhat misunderstood. People see it as the cause of slowdowns because it’s slower to use the page file than your computer’s RAM, but having a page file is better than not having one."

"With enough RAM in modern computers, the average user’s computer shouldn’t normally use the page file in normal computer use."

I suggest that 4GB plus of memory (My computer has 8GB) is enough memory to not worry about programs using MBs  of memory....

Stan K9IUQ

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: