Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD+ windows 8.1 + ts570D = huge problem  (Read 7203 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 06:53:03 AM »

The difference is speed and efficiency. By default Windoze will make a swap file bigger than amount of RAM installed and when apps use a lot of memory it pages a lot of code to hard drive unless you manually limit swap file which means it can slow down. You would know this if you really understood how Windoze uses and leaks memory

I do understand how to use Google. If you would use Google instead of relying on your flawed opinions you would find: "The Windows page file is somewhat misunderstood. People see it as the cause of slowdowns because it’s slower to use the page file than your computer’s RAM, but having a page file is better than not having one."

"With enough RAM in modern computers, the average user’s computer shouldn’t normally use the page file in normal computer use."

I suggest that 4GB plus of memory (My computer has 8GB) is enough memory to not worry about programs using MBs  of memory....

Stan K9IUQ

You really are pretty clueless on this huh? Windoze will use swap file if present and vary amount it swaps. Also, Windows maps/uses a LOT physical memory just to manage swap file whether it is used or not. Stan you are in over your head on this one. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »

You really are pretty clueless on this huh? Windoze will use swap file if present and vary amount it swaps.

Stan you are in over your head on this one.  

Really, over my head? I am never clueless since I know how to use respected resources and am smart enough to not to rely on self proclaimed eham experts :
http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
"Myth: Disabling the Page File Improves Performance

Some people will tell you that you should disable the page file to speed up your computer. The thinking goes like this: the page file is slower than RAM, and if you have enough RAM, Windows will use the page file when it should be using RAM, slowing down your computer.

This isn’t really true."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Check your facts before posting....

Stan K9IUQ

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 07:09:01 AM »

You really are pretty clueless on this huh? Windoze will use swap file if present and vary amount it swaps.

Really, over my head? I am never clueless since I know how to use respected resources and am smart enough to not to rely on self proclaimed eham experts :
http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

Some people will tell you that you should disable the page file to speed up your computer. The thinking goes like this: the page file is slower than RAM, and if you have enough RAM, Windows will use the page file when it should be using RAM, slowing down your computer.

This isn’t really true."

Stan K9IUQ

Again clueless I see. My comments are based on nearly 20 years of IT work on side not a few web posts. SWAP FILES EAT RAM AND SLOW COMPUTER DOWN AND POTENTIALLY SHORTEN HARD DRIVE LIFE TOO!! One sure clue you swapping is the size of memory foot print of apps. When you start swapping it the size of code file increases drastically. Your sinking here fast on this subject and cannot BS your way out of this one. 

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »

Again clueless I see. My comments are based on nearly 20 years of IT work on side not a few web posts.  Your sinking here fast on this subject and cannot BS your way out of this one.  

No need to BS anyone and indeed I have not done that here. Instead of relying on your Flawed Opinions or my opinion, I instead used Google to read many respected websites to get the facts.

Longevity in any field of work does not necessarily make anyone an expert. Use Google, get the facts. I have not posted my opinion here about Windows use of memory, I have posted Facts easily obtained from  respected sources..

Instead of attacking me, I suggest you attack my sources..

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:57:19 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »

Well, it could be that W8JX is running Windows 95 with 1GB RAM and trying to run a bunch of apps... where, YES, the OS will make heavy use of a swap file.

But after 25 years of migrating large corporations from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95... Windows 95 to Windows NT 3.51/4... Windows NT 3.51/4 to Windows 2000... Windows 2000 to Windows XP... and Windows XP to Windows 7... I am extremely familiar with how Windows makes use of memory and swap files.

Bottom line is - unless you run out of memory, Windows has little need for a swap file.  So my friend Stan (K9IUQ) is exactly correct... that is... with about 4GB RAM or better, there's absolutely no need to shut down apps... reboot often... and the like to clear up memory - particularly in Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, & 8.

I'm not sure what version of Outlook you're using, but I'd LOVE to see a screenshot where you're only using 30MB.  Keep in mind, I have 50,000 emails in my Inbox folder alone... not including sub-folders.

Sorry, but... your point-of-view is not correct.  I suspect Stan and I could help provide a lengthy list of facts from multiple sources to back this up... but you're not correct.

With everything I run concurrently, I'm never over 35% total memory utilization... and I'm not using a swap file.  No need to constantly shut things down.  (What the heck would the average person do, if they didn't know how much memory Chrome was consuming anyway?)

Mike, WA9PIE
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2013, 06:51:50 PM »

This isn’t really true."

Stan K9IUQ

Again clueless I see. My comments are based on nearly 20 years of IT work on side not a few web posts. SWAP FILES EAT RAM AND SLOW COMPUTER DOWN AND POTENTIALLY SHORTEN HARD DRIVE LIFE TOO!! One sure clue you swapping is the size of memory foot print of apps. When you start swapping it the size of code file increases drastically. Your sinking here fast on this subject and cannot BS your way out of this one.  

You know John.  With the cost of Memory being what it is today, and the cost of disk or SSD storage as well, it isn't the issue that you make it to be.  Heck, you can't even buy a 200Mb stick these days.  And it's darn difficuly to find one less than 1Gb or 5X 200Mb

Saying that with over 37 years of IT experience and 26 years of PC experience.

Now, where is that CLUE I dropped?Huh??  Seems you may need it since swap file are disk based and don't eat MEMORY, but rather time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:57:03 PM by KB1NXE » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »

Well, it could be that W8JX is running Windows 95 with 1GB RAM and trying to run a bunch of apps... where, YES, the OS will make heavy use of a swap file.

But after 25 years of migrating large corporations from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95... Windows 95 to Windows NT 3.51/4... Windows NT 3.51/4 to Windows 2000... Windows 2000 to Windows XP... and Windows XP to Windows 7... I am extremely familiar with how Windows makes use of memory and swap files.

Bottom line is - unless you run out of memory, Windows has little need for a swap file.  So my friend Stan (K9IUQ) is exactly correct... that is... with about 4GB RAM or better, there's absolutely no need to shut down apps... reboot often... and the like to clear up memory - particularly in Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, & 8.

I'm not sure what version of Outlook you're using, but I'd LOVE to see a screenshot where you're only using 30MB.  Keep in mind, I have 50,000 emails in my Inbox folder alone... not including sub-folders.

Sorry, but... your point-of-view is not correct.  I suspect Stan and I could help provide a lengthy list of facts from multiple sources to back this up... but you're not correct.

With everything I run concurrently, I'm never over 35% total memory utilization... and I'm not using a swap file.  No need to constantly shut things down.  (What the heck would the average person do, if they didn't know how much memory Chrome was consuming anyway?)

Mike, WA9PIE

The amount of mail in inbox has little effect on footprint because it loads the file as need which allows it to get very large. I do get a chuckle out of those that read a few lines on internet and are windows experts. Make no mistake, Windows will swap code unless to limit it and it will result in very large footprints for programs because virtual memory is not efficient. XP will run nice with 2 gig and no swap file and Vista 64 bit runs well with 6+ gig and no swap file. 7 will run well with 4 gig and a 1 gig swap file. If windows is left to manage it it will set it to at least 1.5 times amount of ram installed. The reason 7 boots quicker than Vista is that starting with 7, MS recycles swap file vs re-initializing it on boot up. I NEVER let windows manage swap file automatically.  

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »

See Russinovich's Mysteries of Windows Memory Management Revealed, Part 1 and Mysteries of Windows Memory Management Revealed, Part 2
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »

Stan, K9IUQ, said <<Unless you are running Win XP with 2gb of memory what difference does it make? Modern computers have 4GB plus of memory.Worrying about memory usage is as useless as a vertical without radials.....>>

W8JX, you never responded to K9IUQ's jab about no radials for your vertical on his previous post I think he put that text in blue?).  And I have the same question.  I remember seeing your QRZ page before, and was wondering the same thing...you're running that Hustler vert with no radials?  Heresy, I say!  Sacrilege!  How could you do such a thing?   Grin
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

Comments below...

+++WA9PIE

+++Thanks, Dave!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 05:33:41 AM »

Stan, K9IUQ, said <<Unless you are running Win XP with 2gb of memory what difference does it make? Modern computers have 4GB plus of memory.Worrying about memory usage is as useless as a vertical without radials.....>>

Any swapping of code to hard drive will slow system down and potentially shorten drive life. When a system is properly tuned and set up you will see very little hard drive activity when using it.

W8JX, you never responded to K9IUQ's jab about no radials for your vertical on his previous post I think he put that text in blue?).  And I have the same question.  I remember seeing your QRZ page before, and was wondering the same thing...you're running that Hustler vert with no radials?  Heresy, I say!  Sacrilege!  How could you do such a thing?   Grin

To this day still using it. It works surprisingly well. It is mounted on a 7 foot field fence T pole driven 6 feet into ground unlike many that use a short pole. Also the T pole has a large spade near bottom that is meant to anchor it better it also provides more soil contact. It is mounted on a bit of a hill and ground drops over 40 feet in elevation withing 200 feet of it from SE thru S, W and to North. Originally it was put out as a test antenna about 20 years ago when I was have RFI problems in house. I used to have horses in pasture next to house and I moved them and put vertical there about 165 feet from house. RFI went away at any power level and kept using it. One day I plan to replace it and install it an a different location and with a few radials too but it works so well now I never bothered. The 5BTV snapped off at base in a big storm a year ago and I shortened it some and put it back in service and it still works but at this stage I will not waste time and money on radials for it. I do not doubt I have some ground loss but I get excellent reports so if it is not broke don't fix it. 

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:31 AM »

I will not waste time and money on radials for it.

Oh Dear..
To use your own favorite word: You are as clueless in antenna knowledge as Windows Memory Knowledge.....

Stan K9IUQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 06:20:43 AM »

I will not waste time and money on radials for it.

Oh Dear..
To use your own favorite word: You are as clueless in antenna knowledge as Windows Memory Knowledge.....

Stan K9IUQ

No Stan not clueless at all. You seem to know only what you read not from what you have done and lived with. You are not alone as many are in your boat.  Because you do not understand something and how it might work and how someone else can you are quick to attack it. My comments are based on years of experience not 3 minutes with Google search. I have used, MS DOS since 3.1, WIN9x of all flavors, NT 3.51, 4.0 and 5.0 (that was never officially released), OS2 ver 2 and 3, Linux, Win 2000, XP, Vista 32 and 64, Win 7 32 and 64, 8 and 8.1 32 and 64bit and Win RT to name a few over that years and provided IT support in past which I am sure you never did.  My windows logic is sound and based on practice and as far as antenna, again I see no need to waste time and money on radial for a antenna I plan to replace next year and move to a different spot. I doubt you ever used a 5BTV but I have for many years and I cannot say whether it is that it is on a hill or that I have good soil conductivity or what but it far exceeded my expectations.

People come here for advice and opinions and not personal attacks so do not shoot the messenger when you do not comprehend the message.   

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: