Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO LEARN CW?  (Read 2568 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »

This is the correct, quick, and fun way to learn cw in 30 days at 30wpm.

www.cwops.org and click on CW Academy and follow the instructions.

Forget about Farnsworth method and all the others. Some of the instructors
at CW Academy are ex Navy personel who will teach you the correct way.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »

Once you've mastered the 'correct' way to learn morse, you can learn the only correct way to butter toast!  Wink

Kudos for encouraging improvement in skill and activities!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:20:33 AM by KB4QAA » Logged
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »

Thanks for your positive feedback. There are just too many know it all's and critics in social media!
With these forums who needs elmers. They have replaced them. Wink

Once you've mastered the 'correct' way to learn morse, you can learn the only correct way to butter toast!  Wink

Kudos for encouraging improvement in skill and activities!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:38:18 PM by N4DSP » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »

I LEARNED CW in the Boy Scouts and it was fun, long before CW Academy  and other sure fire methods existed. I LEARNED to operate CW by countless hours of on air contacts deciphering numerous ham's fists (something CWA doesn't teach) and they in turn eventually being able to copy me. Apparently I did everything incorrectly and the sad part of it is that I was in the Navy also.     
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:02:12 PM »

LOL. I learned using a tape recorder and sending letters with my code oscillator and playing it back at a much higher speed over and over again. What amazes me is people who don't know an A from an F who take the Academy Class are doing 25 wpm in a few weeks. Surely would have benefited me 45 years ago if it existed.

john

I LEARNED CW in the Boy Scouts and it was fun, long before CW Academy  and other sure fire methods existed. I LEARNED to operate CW by countless hours of on air contacts deciphering numerous ham's fists (something CWA doesn't teach) and they in turn eventually being able to copy me. Apparently I did everything incorrectly and the sad part of it is that I was in the Navy also.     
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »

What amazes me is people who don't know an A from an F who take the Academy Class are doing 25 wpm in a few weeks.
  I hope some of these folks check into the forum and tell us all about it.
                73 de Tom, AB9NZ, Mount Prospect Illinois
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »

The secret is that the correct way costs you money!

If it was me I would just use the KOCH freeware and get on the air. Trainers cant match the real on band CW experience which if applied to a CW lab would be rated
as 4 times more successful. On air experience is more valuable in my book.

All the great CW operators of today are only great because they started out as novices stuck on CW.

Maybe they can bring back the novice only CW class. No phone privileges  CW only with no technical exam.
If you a an EX Marine operator and hold a radio operators certificate you dont need to sit the exam.

In many countries they have qualification  based ham licence applications. I would rather see more engineers and marine CW operators get fathered into
the ham service than the current CB lids that seem to want to ruin ham radio.

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »

What amazes me is people who don't know an A from an F who take the Academy Class are doing 25 wpm in a few weeks.
  I hope some of these folks check into the forum and tell us all about it.

- the classes are so popular, that they are booked out, for each session ..
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:41:51 AM »

There are just too many know it all's and critics in social media!

I think that what KB4QAA was trying to say that there is no one single correct way to learn Morse code. Radio operators have been learning Morse code for over 100 years using a variety of methods and the CW Academy is only one way.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:47:08 AM »

I think that what KB4QAA was trying to say that there is no one single correct way to learn Morse code. Radio operators have been learning Morse code for over 100 years using a variety of methods and the CW Academy is only one way.

I agree with N0IU. The only "correct" way is the one that works for you.

I did all my license testing before they started dropping the Morse requirements. I tried several different methods, but none seemed to be working. I tried the Farnsworth and Koch methods, but they weren't much help. I finally used Morse Academy to simply generate multiple simulated QSOs at various WPM rates. Since the Morse tests were simulated QSOs, it seemed to be a logical choice. I just started with the slower ones until I could copy 90-95%. At that point I moved to simulated QSOs at a slightly higher WPM rate. I did that until I was copying 25 WPM and went for my tests. 100% copy on the General (13 WPM) and Extra (20WPM) code tests.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »

Yes he was!

[/quote]
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »

I did all my license testing before they started dropping the Morse requirements. I tried several different methods, but none seemed to be working. I tried the Farnsworth and Koch methods, but they weren't much help.

How did you go about trying the Koch method back then ?

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com
N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 05:19:16 AM »

In many countries they have qualification  based ham licence applications. I would rather see more engineers and marine CW operators get fathered into

If not for CB the ham bands would be almost dead by now. That is where I got my interest peaked and like most CBers in the last 30 years had to pass a code test to get my license. CB peaked in the late 70s to early 80s and code did not go away until 2007 which means the CB lids you refer to had to learn code to get thier ticket. How many people have told you they like to talk on CB radio have you elmered into getting a ham license?  I would dare say with your prejudice none, that sir is ruining ham radio.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 05:41:15 AM »

I did all my license testing before they started dropping the Morse requirements. I tried several different methods, but none seemed to be working. I tried the Farnsworth and Koch methods, but they weren't much help.

How did you go about trying the Koch method back then ?

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com

I don't understand your question.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49:01 AM »

This TOPIC is "WANT TO LEARN CW" and not about CB Lids.

Far to often a good topic comes up then it degenerates into replies like these. This HURTS the people who are sincerely searching for ways to learn CW and have to SIFT through these comments.

These comments shown below are valid but on another topic. Not this one. Therefore now both of you have a topic of your own and other's who wish to debate this CB LID issue titled "HAS CB LIDS DESTROYED THE HAM BANDS".

Thank You and Goodbye.

In many countries they have qualification  based ham licence applications. I would rather see more engineers and marine CW operators get fathered into

If not for CB the ham bands would be almost dead by now. That is where I got my interest peaked and like most CBers in the last 30 years had to pass a code test to get my license. CB peaked in the late 70s to early 80s and code did not go away until 2007 which means the CB lids you refer to had to learn code to get thier ticket. How many people have told you they like to talk on CB radio have you elmered into getting a ham license?  I would dare say with your prejudice none, that sir is ruining ham radio.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:08:05 AM by N4DSP » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: