Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank you Baofeng!  (Read 43595 times)
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 05:45:21 AM »

Mind you I'm new here,

But does the FCC have the budget and man power to handle these problems?

Also, why don't ARCs get in the game and do a little foxhunting in areas where this is a problem?
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2013, 06:26:26 AM »

I do find it disturbing, that you find this comical and funny, since the offenders are interfering with an ambulance service, which could mean life or death. I think this is pretty serious, and not funny.

First off I do not always believe everything I read in the media. Even of some of the story is true, Media information gets spinned and things can get added to make the story more interesting. Medias primary goal is to make money, not to inform you truthfully.

Out of the box a Baofeng does not have any channels programmed, no tones progreammed or offsets programmed. You can not xmit without programming the Baofeng.

Ask yourself, how did the radios get programmed? How did the tone get programmed? Most hams can not even program a Baofeng without a PC and Chirp software.

How does a puny 4 watt Baofeng with a rubber duck talk over an ambulance or Dispatcher? Life or death? Get real.

What I do find comical is hams that blame the radio instead of putting the blame where it is deserved... I have to wonder what your agenda is?

Stan K9IUQ

Hi,
They are being sold in my area on Craig's list, pre programmed for you by the "vendor".

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »

OH, forgetfullness and synthesizers!

Any one remember when almost any transceiver would go anywhere its VFO or crystals would take it. Until synthesized rigs there were no transmit limits other than thouse imposed by the physics of tuning a radio. On 6 meters some of the old AM rigs had quite a frequency range. The 600+KHz VFOs of the HF rigs had quite an out of band reach too.

Frequency restriction in the hardware is fairly new to the Amateur world. I have seen a lot of change in 43 years.

KF7CG
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »

I have been seeing these mentioned on other non-ham sites... they are being gobbled up by Painball guys for team communications, by motorcycle enthusists, by hikers etc.. they all like them because they "get more range", and they have different kinds of antennas you can use in comparison to the commerical FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios at the store.  And frankly they are usually cheaper than the bubble pack radios at the sporting goods store too..

I think there is a change that there is real problem brewing here that the FCC needs to address.  

What is clear to me is that the FCC needs to relax the rules for FRS/GMRS so something similar can be marketed to that community and frequency locked.  If there was an off the shelf FRS/GMRS radio that was 5w and could use detachable antennas then I bet those would be used instead.   They want 5W for the distance, and they now know where to get it (cheap ham radios), and they want detachable antennas because some want to use slinky instead of stiff, some want to use stubbys, some want to use antennas more integrated into their equipment/gear/clothing.

Meanwhile the FCC will sit and pretend like nothing is going on the FRS/GMRS world.

It won't be long before this spreads and EVERYONE who is a serious user of FRS/GMRS will be using these 5W ham radios.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »

...Any one remember when almost any transceiver would go anywhere its VFO or crystals would take it. Until synthesized rigs there were no transmit limits other than thouse imposed by the physics of tuning a radio. On 6 meters some of the old AM rigs had quite a frequency range. The 600+KHz VFOs of the HF rigs had quite an out of band reach too....

Sure, but that's the point--"where its VFO or crystals would take it."  Usually those radios wouldn't go very far outside of their intended uses, and with crystal control, they wouldn't go far at all, but these newer radios that are software based go one heck of a lot farther than either.   These radios being spoken of, as an example, go from the top of the aviation band right up through the bands that the government has assigned to the NWS weather frequencies--and that includes how many different services?
W6USC

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

these are the cities who took millions to make there radio systems digital  and never did  they just keep the money for there greed
and still using simplex channels and radio system that is 40 years old. where was the digital system you charged the taxpayers?
i know in pensions and pay raises....
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:27 AM »

these are the cities who took millions to make there radio systems digital  and never did  they just keep the money for there greed
and still using simplex channels and radio system that is 40 years old.

Good point.

So here's a quote from the original article -

First responders near the Jersey Shore say they’re dealing with a growing number of incidents involving children talking on radio frequencies meant only for emergency use.

Authorities in Lakewood say some children in the area are using two-way radios, available for purchase online, as toys. Unbeknownst to them however, they often talk on airwaves designated only for emergencies.
“Sometimes it might be hard to communicate,” Lichtenstein said. “Dispatch is trying to talk to a member and there might be some interference

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Kids-on-2-Way-Radios-Interfere-With-Emergency-Calls-228090311.html?partner=nbcnews

I think it's a sad state of affairs when these services can be disrupted by merely intelligent children. Think of what religious-driven terrorists could do to interfere with them. They should have taken proactive steps to make their system more immune. I mean we're not talking about a boss at Wal Mart telling their stocker over a radio that there needs to be more toilet paper on the aisle.

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »

I have been seeing these mentioned on other non-ham sites... they are being gobbled up by Painball guys for team communications, by motorcycle enthusists, by hikers etc.. they all like them because they "get more range", and they have different kinds of antennas you can use in comparison to the commerical FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios at the store.  And frankly they are usually cheaper than the bubble pack radios at the sporting goods store too..

I think there is a change that there is real problem brewing here that the FCC needs to address.  

What is clear to me is that the FCC needs to relax the rules for FRS/GMRS so something similar can be marketed to that community and frequency locked.  If there was an off the shelf FRS/GMRS radio that was 5w and could use detachable antennas then I bet those would be used instead.   They want 5W for the distance, and they now know where to get it (cheap ham radios), and they want detachable antennas because some want to use slinky instead of stiff, some want to use stubbys, some want to use antennas more integrated into their equipment/gear/clothing.

Meanwhile the FCC will sit and pretend like nothing is going on the FRS/GMRS world.

It won't be long before this spreads and EVERYONE who is a serious user of FRS/GMRS will be using these 5W ham radios.

I think the best solution would be to pursue some enforcement actions against the offenders.  The FCC hounds are already on salary, with great benefits, so the actual cost to the FCC is pretty minimal.  Perhaps offering a bounty to licensed amateurs who assist in the apprehension of these offenders would be useful.

There is no need for further legislation or rule making, all that is necessary is already on the books.  This nation has more laws than it needs already.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: