Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice Adriod Tablet  (Read 6406 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:00:02 AM »

If your in the market for a new inexpensive droid tablet check out the new Dell Venue 8 inch. They are the first of a series of new tablets to be powered by Intel's new 2 ghz Z2580 clover trail Atom. Make no mistake while just a dual core CPU it is also hyper-threaded meaning it has 4 virtual CPU's and ultra lower power draw too. It uses a all new core design too and is about 3x faster per clock tick than old Atom. Most web pages load in a second or less and excellent battery life too and it can use any micro USB charger to recharger as well as one supplied. It takes entry level performance to a new level. They can be had for under 200 bucks too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »

I'd like to know where, as the cheapest I can find it is 250 at wally world. And it's got Win 8.1 ugh.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/32243242?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227021816258&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=32345474101&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=61408361581&veh=sem
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

Found it on Amazon for $219 but, no usable USB port (charging only).  Makes it a non-starter for me.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:53:25 AM »

$199 at Walmart.....make sure you are looking at the Dell Venue 8" not the Dell Venue Pro
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:38:38 AM »

Found it on Amazon for $219 but, no usable USB port (charging only).  Makes it a non-starter for me.

They do support a micro SD card though....

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »

BTW if you were quick enough you could have grabbed one direct from Dell yesterday for $129 (16g) or $179 (32g)...they had a $50 instant rebate on line. It expire at 7am today...darn....I was going to grab one for that price!
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 06:53:07 AM »

If you guys want a cheap android tablet with a USB port, try the Toshiba Thrive. It has not only a full size USB, but a full size HDMI as well. They're cheap now, as they've been out for a while. They're about the same price as the one the OP mentions, but with full size ports. It also has front and rear facing cameras as well as a mic. It's also not a tiny 8" screen, it's a full 10.1" tablet. It accepts conventional mice and keyboards via it's USB slot. You can find refurbs on ebay for 199 last I checked. I got a refurb, it looked and behaved absolutely 100% new.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:05:42 AM by KE5TJT » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:24 AM »

If you guys want a cheap android tablet with a USB port, try the Toshiba Thrive. It has not only a full size USB, but a full size HDMI as well. They're cheap now, as they've been out for a while. They're about the same price as the one the OP mentions, but with full size ports. It also has front and rear facing cameras as well as a mic. It's also not a tiny 8" screen, it's a full 10.1" tablet. It accepts conventional mice and keyboards via it's USB slot. You can find refurbs on ebay for 199 last I checked. I got a refurb, it looked and behaved absolutely 100% new.

The Dell Venue 8 inch is a more advanced tablet by a good margin. It has a lot more CPU power and twice the RAM (2gig vs 1gig in thrive) so you loose a lot to get a USB port for what its worth.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:10:10 AM »

The Dell Venue 8 inch is a more advanced tablet by a good margin. It has a lot more CPU power and twice the RAM (2gig vs 1gig in thrive) so you loose a lot to get a USB port for what its worth.

But, if you need a USB port, all the RAM and CPU power in the world does not help.  It used to be that USB  and "plug and play" (or did it, more accurately, turn out to be "pray") were the bleeding edge technology.  Unfortunately the marketing mavens have not given us anything to replace that capability.  I guess our USB devices will have to operate in the "cloud"?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »

But, if you need a USB port, all the RAM and CPU power in the world does not help.  It used to be that USB  and "plug and play" (or did it, more accurately, turn out to be "pray") were the bleeding edge technology.  Unfortunately the marketing mavens have not given us anything to replace that capability.  I guess our USB devices will have to operate in the "cloud"?

While USB has its merits we are moving toward a wireless world where hardwired connections for even USB will soon be outdated.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »

While USB has its merits we are moving toward a wireless world where hardwired connections for even USB will soon be outdated.

Planned Obsolence
Newest, Latest, Greatest
BUY! BUY! BUY!

Ain't it a wonderful world?

Ironic that some still embrace "hollow state" devices in this age of technical revolution.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »

The Dell Venue 8 supports USB on-the-go protocol, which is a cable/adapter that plugs into the USB port and has an USB A receptacle. As long as the device has drivers available for the OS it should work. However not many devices have drivers for Android.
VK5CQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

In AU, K-Mart's have embraced AudioSonic as a new "home brand." Under that banner, they import at least 3 Android tab's:

2x 7" (eg, dual- & quad-core, resp): AU$ 79 & AU$ 99, resp

1x 10" (quad-core, shaped like an iPad): AU$ 199

The only one we've looked closely at is the 10" which has a non standard charging / power plug, but seems OK otherwise.

No need to pay shipping & there's a K-Mart at hand in case of issues, within the 1 year warranty period.

Of course: e. & o. e. = Errors & Omissions Excepted.

Also: I have -no- pecuniary interest in K-Mart or any mentioned product(s).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: