Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WANT TO LEARN CW?  (Read 3342 times)
N4DSP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »

Zenki and N3IG you now can go at it with the new topic titled

"HAS CB LIDS DESTROYED THE HAM BANDS"

So take it there and leave this for constructive idea's on a new way of teaching CW with OOVOO at the CW ACADEMY by CWOPS.ORG

Goodbye.

This TOPIC is "WANT TO LEARN CW" and not about CB Lids and if it were not for cb lids then the ham bands would be empty now. Tell you both what,,,I am going to start a topic with these two quotes so you can go at it. OK?

In many countries they have qualification  based ham licence applications. I would rather see more engineers and marine CW operators get fathered into
the ham service than the current CB lids that seem to want to ruin ham radio.

If not for CB the ham bands would be almost dead by now. That is where I got my interest peaked and like most CBers in the last 30 years had to pass a code test to get my license. CB peaked in the late 70s to early 80s and code did not go away until 2007 which means the CB lids you refer to had to learn code to get thier ticket. How many people have told you they like to talk on CB radio have you elmered into getting a ham license?  I would dare say with your prejudice none, that sir is ruining ham radio.
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »

I did all my license testing before they started dropping the Morse requirements. I tried several different methods, but none seemed to be working. I tried the Farnsworth and Koch methods, but they weren't much help.

How did you go about trying the Koch method back then ?

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com

I don't understand your question.

You're dismissing Koch's method because you tried it during your license training and it didn't help.

You got your Extra license in 1999 (?), so you must have done your license training earlier than that.  If you didn't pass General and Extra at the same time, you must have practiced Morse code even earlier.

So I am curious about how you tried Koch's method.

K4NL Sid
justlearnmorsecode.com
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »

I got my General and Extra before all code was dropped.  Worked my ass off to learn just 5 wpm.  That was 12 years ago, haven't used it since.  Might like to "relearn" it how ever.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 04:37:35 AM »

I did all my license testing before they started dropping the Morse requirements. I tried several different methods, but none seemed to be working. I tried the Farnsworth and Koch methods, but they weren't much help.

How did you go about trying the Koch method back then ?
justlearnmorsecode.com

I don't understand your question.

You're dismissing Koch's method because you tried it during your license training and it didn't help.

You got your Extra license in 1999 (?), so you must have done your license training earlier than that.  If you didn't pass General and Extra at the same time, you must have practiced Morse code even earlier.

So I am curious about how you tried Koch's method.
justlearnmorsecode.com

I have had a ham license since 1965. I mostly used Morse code, but was always a little light on some of the characters. But I didn't really get seriously into the upgrade path until late in 1998. I thought that using the Koch method might be the key for me to getting a better handle on the characters that I had problems with. I also worked with computers since around 1970, so the method was a pretty easy program to implement. It worked fine at first but then I hit a speed wall, and was still having problems with the same characters. So I looked around for other methods.

But then I thought about the actual testing. The testing was done with simulated QSOs, not letter groups. While letter groups might help for contesting, but I never had any interest in contests. However, I already had experience with QSOs, but at slow speed. So I thought that studying for the test might be better. I happened across a piece of software called Morse Academy. It did exactly what I wanted, so I didn't have to write anything myself. What Morse Academy did was create a series of simulated QSOs at varying speeds. So I started with a slow speed, 10 WPM, and copied the sound files on to cassette tape. I would listen to the tape three times a day for about 15 minutes, each time. When I was copying 90% of the QSOs I would generate new tests at 2 WPM faster. It was a big difference for me, but after a couple of days I was again up to the 90% copy.

I simply followed that method until I was copying 90% of the QSOs at a 15 WPM rate. That was January or February of 1999. I went to the testing station and took the Technician and General written tests and finished with the 13 WPM Morse test. I walked out a General. Overall, it only took me about a month to get ready for that test.

But getting ready for the 20 WPM Morse test took a bit longer. I spent much more time on certain speeds than others. But I was going for 25 WPM copy, not just 20 WPM. Plus, I had to fit in my studying between work and family. Guess which came first.

But I did progress and by June of 1999 I was ready. I don't remember what came up, but I had to postpone my testing for a month. So in July 1999 I again went to the testing station and sat for the Advanced and Extra written tests, and then the 20 WPM Morse test (100% copy). Again, I passed all of them and walked out an Extra. And best of all, I reached a personal goal and it only cost me $8.45.

I hope that explains things better. I was just trying to get across the point that, while all the methods are good, the best one is the one that works for you.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: