Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking "What is the best"  (Read 1000 times)
KD6OJG

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

Are you allowed to ask what particular company product is the best on this forum.  I've never done it before and want to know if it's okay?
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »

You can ask it, but the only thing you'll get for answers will be conjecture and opinion.  Happens every day on here.  Have you looked at the reviews for the particular company or equipment you're interested in?  Those are largely subjective and opinion based, but perhaps you can see trends in reviews and then draw a conclusion.

Stephen

N5VTU
KD6OJG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »

All I want to know about is roof mount tripods.  I swear all these companies products look the same.

Here's the problem; it seems that for every company that makes tripods they have two versions, a regular and a "heavy duty" version.  Someone complained on Amazon.com that they ordered a tripod but they didn't receive the one they thought they were buying.  In all these company's literature they don't specify a model number for a regular or heavy duty.

All I want is a 2 foot, heavy duty roof mount tripod and I want to know who makes the best one.

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »

What exactly do you want to use this tripod for? What kind of antenna are you planning to use on it? Is it for some sort of vertical or a beam that will require a rotor?

A lot of people come here asking for the "best" of something but can't really afford the "best". Without a doubt, the absolute very best roof tower is a Glen Martin 4½' 4-legged aluminum tower. The MSRP is $383.00. If you want to mount a vertical mast, you will need 2 mast clamps and they are $52... each. If you want to use it with a beam and have an internally mounted rotor, you will need a thrust bearing and they are $122, but you only need one. So as you can see, the "best" will cost you almost $500.00.

Do you still want the best?
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »

Hi,
   I just installed the Glen Martin 4 1/2 foot tower last fall.  It has 4 legs, not 3 - like Tripods.    The Glen Martin also has provisions for a rotor and thrust bearing.  Most Tripods don't.     Pictures are on http://www.qrz.com/db/KB3MDT

Ken
KB3MDT
KD6OJG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions of the Glen Martin.  I had no idea those roof mounts came with four legs.  I think the way I worded my question sounded like I needed an immense amount of strength.  I just want to mount a Diamond dual band 2m/70cm on a six foot pole in a 2 or 3-foot tripod.  I just don't want the tripod to be some flimsy thing.

KB3MDT - Thanks for the link to your pictures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: