Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If your New Year's Resolution in RTTY, Try the ARRL RTTY Roundup This Weekend  (Read 4574 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »

If you haven't tried RTTY contesting, the ARRL RTTY Roundup is this weekend and is a good one to start with. Full details here.

AA5AU's site has great information on getting going in RTTY and RTTY contesting here.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »

Played in it when I could, doing search and pounce. Worked 170 QSOs.  Didn't hear many EU stations on 15 Sunday morning in the contest, even though the solar numbers looked really good.  Anyone else notice this? Hope my antenna hasn't gone bad.

73 John AF5CC
HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »

I saw some stations Saturday night on 40 meters but did not play with them due to the fact that I am not real big on RTTY contesting.

The bands have been up and down all weekend.  It probably comes from the big storm out in the Midwest that is headed for the east coast on Monday.

Temperature here is 42* - the highest it has been all day / night.
The locals are running a WPA / NBEMS net on 80 meters right now for the upcoming storm.  3.583 USB Olivia 8-500 / MFSK 31
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:03:49 AM »

I also got on in just dribs and drabs, as I wasn't home much this weekend. About 250 Qs, a mix of search and pounce and some short runs. Nice to work a lot of new calls.

I agree with the comment that conditions didn't seem to match the high solar flux. I was on 10m a bit on Sunday am but EU signals weren't very loud, and there weren't that many EU signals on. Same with 15m later on Sunday - I did work KH2/N2NL, who had a nice signal, but the JAs I heard weren't very loud.

Contests like this one, and the WPX tests, multipliers only count once per contest change the dynamic - makes for a nice change. Since all Qs are just 1 point in the RU, more to be gained by running even if you aren't very loud - just work Ws.

John K3TN
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:50:41 AM »

I also got on in just dribs and drabs, as I wasn't home much this weekend. About 250 Qs, a mix of search and pounce and some short runs. Nice to work a lot of new calls.

I agree with the comment that conditions didn't seem to match the high solar flux. I was on 10m a bit on Sunday am but EU signals weren't very loud, and there weren't that many EU signals on. Same with 15m later on Sunday - I did work KH2/N2NL, who had a nice signal, but the JAs I heard weren't very loud.

Contests like this one, and the WPX tests, multipliers only count once per contest change the dynamic - makes for a nice change. Since all Qs are just 1 point in the RU, more to be gained by running even if you aren't very loud - just work Ws.

For JA's, I was surprised how productive 20M was. Overall, 20M seemed to be good for DX much later into the evening than we would usually expect in wintertime, I suppose this was one good result of the solar flux surge.

RTTY RU hours, with only one morning to work EU on the high bands, is not much of a DX contest. Still a lot of DX to be found in that one morning.

I found KH2/N2NL on 10M but I don't think I found any JA's on 10M. I did not spend much time on 10M at all.

As you note, the "mults once per test not once per band" results in SO1R guys like me going to straight to the band with the biggest rate and staying there. 20M was hugely productive, and 80M was so sweet. I had some horrible S9 120Hz impulse noise messing up 40M for me but with so many RTTY signals pounding in 20-60dB above S9 still managed to work hundreds of folks on that band! A large number of the more obscure mults I got, they were apparently only doing S&P.

I made 1200+ QSO's, and I do not feel like the bands were worked dry at all. I can see how two radio guys can end up with 2000+ QSO's.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:58:42 AM by N3QE » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: