Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Market Price vs. what you think it's worth  (Read 5770 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2013, 07:56:17 PM »

I noticed yet another classified listing asking to buy a particular item but not at "ebay" prices.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »

Be very careful.  If you cant talk to the guy in person and the address does not match his QRZ address and he says he does not use paypal. I suggest you run as fast as you can.

If the first two are not possible but he will pay via Paypal, I suggest you wait on the money to clear and be transferred into your hands before you ship.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:11:51 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:29:04 AM »

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:39:25 AM »

How true indeed.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »

How true indeed.
I would add, at the time you want to sell it.  You can wait for a rig to come down to a price where you want to buy it.  But you may wait a long long time.

72, JP, K8AG
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »

And if you wait long enough, the price might come back up again!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »

Yep, it's all about what one is willing to pay.  Take real estate for an example.  My friend invested in a bunch of homes in LA California, Phoenix AZ and Las Vegas NV.  The real estate web sites say that his homes are with a lot more than what he paid, but he just can't seem to find buyers who agree!
HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »

I was at a Hamfest a couple of years ago and a fellow had a nice looking Kenwood, don't know the model number.
Complete station for $1600.00
Power Supply
Speaker
Transceiver.

When I asked the guy what was wrong with it, he said he thought it worked and that he didn't know anything about it, was selling it for a friend.

When I asked him his call sign, he said he didn't have one, or refused to give it to me.

Another person came along that was more knowledgeable then I, and took the cover off and looked inside and said, the filters were robbed out of it and put the cover back on and told the seller it wasn't worth $600.00!

The seller got a big smile, because he met someone that was smarter then he was.  If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Hams tends to be the biggest liars / thief's that I ever saw.

The following year, I took a new ham with me to the same hamfest.
This person was extremely tight with his money.
The things he needed to become a ham such as coax - he wouldn't buy.  The things he should have walked away from - he was attracted to.

Someone had for sale a old junk Regency 2 meter mobile, old programmable police radio.  I told the guy not to buy it and he bought it because he had one when he was a fireman in Colorado many years before.   The seller swore that it worked, but when I hooked it up to a power supply and antenna, all it put out was 1 watt.  Immediately the new ham wanted me to drop everything and spend my own money to fix it for him and he would maybe pay me for the materials - if I could get it to work!

Having been bitten once before I declined and told him that the finals were out of it and that it would cost more to buy the transistors and fix it then what it is worth!  He got mad and relented and took it with him.  The last I saw it, it was sitting on the back seat of his Crown Victoria - 1 year later!

The guy that owns the local two meter repeater had a similar story about a Kenwood TS 590 he bought off a local ham off Flea bay.
It was only 6 months old, so it was still under warranty, but it was broke and he didn't know it until after he bought it.
The warranty was non transferable, so he had to drive 160 miles round trip - to the sellers house to drop it off, pay to have it shipped back to Kenwood, and then make an additional 160 mile (round trip) to pick it up after it was repaired..

A relatively new radio that he thought he was saving $200.00 on ended up costing him the same amount as a brand new one with a one year warranty.

360 miles in a Hummer - I don't think he broke even!

Unless it is an antique or is such an awesome buy that I think that I couldn't loose anything on the deal, I won't buy anything used. 
I like brand new and the warranty that comes with it!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »

"Hams tends to be the biggest liars / thief's that I ever saw."

I don't think that's true, they are pretty much the same as the general public, it's just that we always assume one ham won't rob another and that's when you will get shafted.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »

The classic ebay ad. " I know nothing about this radio sold as is"

Then you look at his other stuff for sale and he has plenty of other equipment for sale. It will radio fully tested and working OK. Tested by me or some other technician.
You wonder why he could not test the other crap radio with problems and report those problems. Its easy to spot these crooks by reading through their feedback. They often sell many things in the ham radio category so would know if a piece of equipment is working or not.

Same goes for test equipment dealers. They can show photos of other equipment that they selling with full tests proving how good it is, and this is to justify the high asking price. Then they will have the "sold as is, dont know anything about it, got it from a deceased ham estate, dont know how to test"

The crooks on Ebay are like watching a comic show.  This is before we start  with the blurred pictures, bent roller inductors, leaky vacuum variables and any junk they want to rip you off with. The number of times I have been burnt by hams buying roller inductors is not funny. The roller wheels look like they have  been in a demolition derby and they will I did not see that and it seemed to work fine. Hams are Ebay selling second hand stuff  are behaving like real low life scumbags.

Ebay should really separate the auctions into guaranteed with warranty and  sales that are in the junk category.
I mean how can ham  sell and inductor or capacitor and not know the value in pf's or UH's If you cant be bothered to find out this basic information for a sale you dont deserve to get anyones money.  If you certain if a item is working as it should the price should reflect this risk. The trouble is everyone on Ebay expects the highest price even for the Junk. I dont use Ebay anymore because I find the whole system including paypal to be rotten to the core. Ebay is only interested in collecting their fees and dont care about how badly you get burnt. Its bad when  hams are doing this to hams.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 07:58:23 AM »

The fair market prices on radio's that are between 10-20 years old are all over the place, some of these guys think there selling gold. Case in point I just missed a FT1000MP MK5 Field for $1250 which was a fair price from HRO's used shelf, that was a fair price for that rig yet between QTH,E Ham and E Bay the asking prices are threw the roof and you keep on seeing these radio's re listed many time's over. Do these seller's ever think there asking way to much or are these Ham's selling these radio's to CB'ers that will pay the over priced fair. I even had seen a MK5 Field go for $2K, even with some filters the base radio sold for $2k new 10 years ago. I have always looked at HRO/AES/R&L's used price list to give me a judge of what I should ask for a used rig but some of these ham's wear a mask when there listing these over market prices or there smoking something funny Roll Eyes.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:35:07 AM »

There again, you could also be looking at a radio that the owner had taken extremely good care of, had pampered it and cleaned it regularly, and had any little thing that had gone wrong with it taken care of immediately.  If and when he sells it, you're saying that he shouldn't ask a high price for it?

I had an example of just such a thing happen.  I saw an Icom V8000 for sale at a hamfest, new looking, yet saw that nobody was really interested in it since the owner was asking a fairly high price for it.  No, not the price of a new one, but higher than what would pull people in.  I was interested in getting one, so I inquired--and found out that the radio was just a couple of months old, and the gentleman just didn't like it--and that he had all the parts, packaging and the original sales slip that would give the purchaser the remainder of the warrantee!

When he brought those things out (they weren't on the table to begin with) a couple of other people came over and started making offers--but too late, as I had already bought it as soon as he had said he had those things.  It just goes to show that you just can't assume the worst and expect to pay less for something because it isn't what you expect.  I admit that the instance I experienced was out of the ordinary, but you can run into instances where the higher price is justified.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

The classic ebay ad. " I know nothing about this radio sold as is"

Then you look at his other stuff for sale and he has plenty of other equipment for sale. It will radio fully tested and working OK. Tested by me or some other technician.
You wonder why he could not test the other crap radio with problems and report those problems. Its easy to spot these crooks by reading through their feedback. They often sell many things in the ham radio category so would know if a piece of equipment is working or not.

Same goes for test equipment dealers. They can show photos of other equipment that they selling with full tests proving how good it is, and this is to justify the high asking price. Then they will have the "sold as is, dont know anything about it, got it from a deceased ham estate, dont know how to test"

The crooks on Ebay are like watching a comic show.  This is before we start  with the blurred pictures, bent roller inductors, leaky vacuum variables and any junk they want to rip you off with. The number of times I have been burnt by hams buying roller inductors is not funny. The roller wheels look like they have  been in a demolition derby and they will I did not see that and it seemed to work fine. Hams are Ebay selling second hand stuff  are behaving like real low life scumbags.

Ebay should really separate the auctions into guaranteed with warranty and  sales that are in the junk category.
I mean how can ham  sell and inductor or capacitor and not know the value in pf's or UH's If you cant be bothered to find out this basic information for a sale you dont deserve to get anyones money.  If you certain if a item is working as it should the price should reflect this risk. The trouble is everyone on Ebay expects the highest price even for the Junk. I dont use Ebay anymore because I find the whole system including paypal to be rotten to the core. Ebay is only interested in collecting their fees and dont care about how badly you get burnt. Its bad when  hams are doing this to hams.

A little common sense goes a very long way. I would never buy anything that was untested unless I had the full intention of fixing it it myself if it didn't work and I had access to a pool of parts. A fellow ham (I will not embarrass him by posting his call sign) I know bought something off Ebay that he was fully prepared to fix himself, but he never considered parts availability. The great price he got in the original auction was wiped out when he had to buy a donor rig as a parts source. I use Ebay as a source for small parts all the time (adapters, coaxial jumper cables, coaxial switches etc...). As a matter of fact I recently purchased an unused Narda XSEM323D transfer switch for an S-Parameter test set I am building for my DG8SAQ VNWA 3.0E USB VNA. It is a current Narda part and I paid $75 for it when I was quoted several hundred dollars from a Narda Distributor. You just have to smart about it and know what you are buying. I also disagree about PayPal. I think when using PayPal the buyer has the upper hand. DAMHIKT
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:17:06 PM by K2GWK » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: